Weather events

Reacher

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My uncle use to be the head boiler room guy at Chanute AFB in the early 70s. Always cracked me up that there was a head shop outside of every gate at Chanute...

One of my roomies in the USAF was from GC...then when I went to Greenland, I was playing volleyball with a mixed group of Danes and Americans, and one guy (RCA tech) had a Gibson City Greyhounds t-shirt on...he'd graduated with my roomie...small world I guess...

Spent many a trips near that AFB....both Grandfather and Great were pilots. Small world for sure!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Spent many a trips near that AFB....both Grandfather and Great were pilots. Small world for sure!

When I was filling out my "dream sheet" in basic for where I wanted to be stationed after tech school, I put Chanute down for some reason...then afterward I found out they didn't even have a functioning airfield (closed in the 70s) any more...not much use for ATC there...boy did I feel like a dummy...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Rained at the highest point in Greenland for the first time in recorded history.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/weather/greenland-summit-rain-climate-change/index.html

Screenshot_20210819-173516.thumb.png.b2e960b6e786a3d9233a102ccd5dde5f.png

I was stationed down at Sondrestrom Fjord (Kangerlussuaq on the map) for a year. Went out to the ice cap where the summit station was a couple of times. It was activated a few months before I left in 1989. Definitely going to be an issue in the future...

Looking at the names of the various towns you get a feel for the Greenlandic language...long words with lots of vowels...the old Danish joke was at a meeting, a Danish diplomat asked a Greenlandic diplomat a question. The Greenlandic diplomat talked for 5 minutes, but when the Danes asked the interpreter what he had said, the interpreter said, "He said yes." 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, Muckraker said:

Looks like Henri is going to impact the northeast... for all you New York area folks. 

Returned just in time from ten days in Maine (Camden, Bar Harbor, Portland) and Rhode Island (Newport).  At the time we left, it looked like Connecticut/RI might take a direct hit.  Guess it still could, but Weather folks have shifted more towards Long Island, it seems.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think @Lostin76 had gone to Maryland for a couple of weeks, so hopefully he and his wife are out of harm's way... 

Thank you, yep, we are here in MD for a couple of weeks. I did have to drive up to CT for a small (outdoor) pool party at my bosses house today (drove up last night and spent the night in our apt) and everyone is preparing. After the party, I drove straight thru to get back to MD though as I didn’t want to be caught in any of the storm. 

Apparetnly there was a big concert in Central Park this afternoon and they made everyone leave b/c of the weather. I didn’t have a drop of rain on my drive back to MD. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Thank you, yep, we are here in MD for a couple of weeks. I did have to drive up to CT for a small (outdoor) pool party at my bosses house today (drove up last night and spent the night in our apt) and everyone is preparing. After the party, I drove straight thru to get back to MD though as I didn’t want to be caught in any of the storm. 

Apparetnly there was a big concert in Central Park this afternoon and they made everyone leave b/c of the weather. I didn’t have a drop of rain on my drive back to MD. 

Great to hear you guys are safe. Did you take in all of the plants on your balcony?

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Great to hear you guys are safe. Did you take in all of the plants on your balcony?

Ha, nope they are going to ride it out. I did set up our camera to see how they were doing. So far so good! I don’t think Brooklyn was getting much besides a good soaking and strong winds. 

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, northern Illinois getting storms today. Nothing but dry, oppressive heat in Indiana. 

Good lord this storm season has been a complete snooze fest. 

Here in Indy we just had a downpour for about 30 straight minutes. No clue on numbers but my guess is we got more rain this morning than we've had in the last month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Here in Indy we just had a downpour for about 30 straight minutes. No clue on numbers but my guess is we got more rain this morning than we've had in the last month.

These downpours can be very localized so i like to check nearby weather stations on Wundermap.  I used to have a station a few hundred yards from me but I think he moved. Looks like I got around an inch.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

• Like 1