Weather events

Reacher

• 2 weeks later...

Powerful storm systems in winter often have three sections: heavy snow, rain, and severe weather. This time of year, northern Indiana is almost always in what I like to call "the screw zone." Too far north for severe weather, too far south for snow. Just boring old rain. Oh, and maybe some wind. Hope all the leaves my neighbors didn't bother to rake don't end up in my yard again. 

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

OK, I was wrong. Northern Indiana is actually getting in on this unusual weather event. 

Unreal what's happening in Kentucky, southern Illinois and Arkansas. Not sure I've ever seen a tornado outbreak like this in December. 

The one in Western Kentucky was on the ground for 200 miles. I know I don't remember ever hearing of that. So sad. 

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The one in Western Kentucky was on the ground for 200 miles. I know I don't remember ever hearing of that. So sad. 

My oldest daughter lives about 18 miles from Edwardsville...works there, and went to college at SIUE...She said her boss called her this morning and said their building (which is about 2 blocks from the Amazon warehouse that collapsed) was standing, but no power...

Thank God she and her family are ok, but praying for those in that warehouse...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

F5. Over 300mph wind speed.

Yeah I’m seeing Mayfield was hit hard. A candle factory collapses on employees.

Also saw a nursing home in Arkansas was leveled.

Amazon building in Illinois collapses?

Prayers for all

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Prayers for all

It was a wild night down here in E'ville last night. Did not get to bed until after 1:00 a.m.

While we were pretty much spared, other than some downed power lines, our neighbors to the south across the river, really got socked with devastation. That candle factory may have anywhere between 50-100 casualties, plus the nursing home has 2 fatalities as of now. Weather people are now saying there may have been as many as 4 tornadoes on the ground in West. Kentucky.

I work in those areas and I am scheduled to be there next week. I don't know what I will see when I go down there.

My prayers to all of those families who are struck with loss of life and property.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My oldest daughter lives about 18 miles from Edwardsville...works there, and went to college at SIUE...She said her boss called her this morning and said their building (which is about 2 blocks from the Amazon warehouse that collapsed) was standing, but no power...

Thank God she and her family are ok, but praying for those in that warehouse...

Glad to hear all are ok. December tornado in the middle of the night. Just bad all the way around.

8 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Prayers for all

Seeing the images of Mayfield just so bad. Can't imagine. One minute your working on a Friday night....and the next this happens. Just sick for all the people impacted.

• Like 3

One of our mature red buds is sitting about 20 degrees off center after last night's craziness.  We had two tornado warnings.  I was pretty foggy the second time as my wife woke me up and made me go to the basement again.  Knew the forecast was bad but man...that's as much wind as I've experienced in a long time.20211211_115303.thumb.jpg.44aa75dba0f8234c3613819d55d65217.jpg

• Like 1

I remember looking out my kitchen window, my friend and neighbor was coming up the hill with his flashlight. We went to our neighbors at the end of the road. They were okay, the three of us then went to to check on the other end of the T in the road! Climbing over and under hundreds of fallen hardwoods while avoiding downed power lines we reached our neighbors! The knock on the door was greeted with “who are you?” My friend responded “Warm Springs Fire Department “ 

The reply still resonates “Oh thank God”

That was ONLY an F2! 

Praying for all affected!

and now the same front is upon me!

• Like 2

I know we like to give Kentucky alot of shit, deservedly.  But saw somewhere where the Eville, Henderson Ohio River Bridge had alot of Hoosiers, linemen, first responders crossing the river to help. I'd volunteer if I had any PTO days left. 

America first. We take care of our neighbors, even if we don't like them sometimes.  

• Like 2

I'm going to post one more video because I find it interesting.  

Mayfield, KY seems to be similar to the town I grew up in. About 10,000 people with an immigrant population. 

Have seen multiple videos from the Mayfield factory where people say we just had a hurricane.  

I wonder if any of these people ever experienced a tornado. 

In the following video the kid says hurricane and corrects himself and says tornado. 

Can you imagine how terrifying it would be to not know what a tornado is? @3:03

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I know we like to give Kentucky alot of shit, deservedly.  But saw somewhere where the Eville, Henderson Ohio River Bridge had alot of Hoosiers, linemen, first responders crossing the river to help. I'd volunteer if I had any PTO days left. 

America first. We take care of our neighbors, even if we don't like them sometimes.  

I joke that people coming from Kentucky to Indiana should be required to have a passport to enter. But in times like these, I consider them family and hope the best for them.

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Man, the news just gets worse with that tornado. What a monster storm.

It’s 68 degrees here in Brooklyn and our terrace Christmas tree just blew over in the wind. 

Not really related to this thread but when I see your posts, knowing you are in New York City, I always think of Simon and Garfunkel's, "Only Living Boy in New York".  I guess that reveals how old I am.

• Like 1