Weather events

Reacher

Love crazy weather, almost went to become a meteorologist and a storm chaser. As a kid had a tree fall on our house due to a tornado, but no fatalities in our town. Had to rebuild the house. Definitely the kid (still do it) where mom was screaming at me to get in the house because the storm was coming. 

Only thing I don’t like is driving in snow/ice. I’m comfortable doing it, but it’s just the drive to and from work. A lot of steep hills and people don’t know how to drive in it. 

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Man, pollen season is KILLING me.

Both my grill and smoker covers (black) are a yellowish green. 

The pollen around here is so thick, it gave me a severe upper respiratory infection last week. I got tested for COVID (negative) but work said since I had "symptoms" I had to stay home and telework for 10 days...

Throw me in that briar patch 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Both my grill and smoker covers (black) are a yellowish green. 

The pollen around here is so thick, it gave me a severe upper respiratory infection last week. I got tested for COVID (negative) but work said since I had "symptoms" I had to stay home and telework for 10 days...

Throw me in that briar patch 🙂

I’d keep a couple of potted ragweed plants around, just for that!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just heard this beauty of a stat. Central Indiana hasn't had 3 straight rain free days since mid March. Lord it feels like it. I know upper 80's and dry time is on the way but man this Spring has stunk. Straight to summer I guess. 

Looks like the heat is coming next week. I was hoping for a repeat of last year’s race day weather but I doubt we get that lucky. 

• Like 1

And just like I expected. Replace Furnace, Water Heater....and now the AC isn't blowing cold when I turned on for the first time. I already left a call for our AC guy here in town but anyone have any suggestions? We changed filter. Thermostat is set right....but cold air is only blowing out of main vent not any of the other rooms. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And just like I expected. Replace Furnace, Water Heater....and now the AC isn't blowing cold when I turned on for the first time. I already left a call for our AC guy here in town but anyone have any suggestions? We changed filter. Thermostat is set right....but cold air is only blowing out of main vent not any of the other rooms

My first guess based on the bolded would be a hole in the ductwork somewhere...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! Made the service call....but will certainly look around. As I've mentioned in the DIY threads....I know nada on repairs of any kind. 

Update. Anyone know of a AC place in Indy area on the cheap? Haha....SOB. $6172 is the 13 seer (whatever that is) cheapest option from Summer's. Guess I didn't know AC's cost that much.

Oh well. I'm off to chase that little white ball around and worry about the AC game tonight.

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And just like I expected. Replace Furnace, Water Heater....and now the AC isn't blowing cold when I turned on for the first time. I already left a call for our AC guy here in town but anyone have any suggestions? We changed filter. Thermostat is set right....but cold air is only blowing out of main vent not any of the other rooms. 

Is air coming out of the other vents?  How cold is the one vent?

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Is air coming out of the other vents?  How cold is the one vent?

That's what made me wonder...if there IS cold air coming out of one vent, then it's an airflow (ie ductwork) issue. ACs themselves either blow cold or they don't.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Update. Anyone know of a AC place in Indy area on the cheap? Haha....SOB. $6172 is the 13 seer (whatever that is) cheapest option from Summer's. Guess I didn't know AC's cost that much.

Oh well. I'm off to chase that little white ball around and worry about the AC game tonight.

I got a 15 SEER (seasonal energy efficiency rating) about 2 years ago for around $8,000. Our house is 2,700 sq ft, 2 story. Cools the house well, even in Texas. We do have ceramic tile floors which helps too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's what made me wonder...if there IS cold air coming out of one vent, then it's an airflow (ie ductwork) issue. ACs themselves either blow cold or they don't.

Yep.  I had to replace my heat pump a few years ago because of a leak in the coil.  The hvac guy also said people will steal the refrigerant. 

I try to do as much as I can so he lent me the tool and I replaced the flex myself to save some labor $$.

I replaced the fan and capacitor at one point. Right now my blower motor inside needs replaced. 

Fixing my refrigerator today when my part shows up. I'm too stubborn to buy new stuff. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I had a leak for several years that I had to baby until I finally broke down and bought a new unit.  Anyway, that is your most likely problem.  Your refrigerant has probably all leaked out. 

Depending on the size of the leak, you may be able to fill it back up and get through the season, but you will eventually have the problem again.  

I fought my leak for 3-4 years.  In hindsight, I wish I would have bit the bullet on a new unit earlier.  It was not worth it worrying about when it would go dry again.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

I replaced mine last spring. Both Furnace and A/C were 20+ years old and on their last legs. I had a feeling costs would be going up and figured I'd be better off replacing sooner than later. There was a noticeable effect on both my electric bill last summer and gas bill this winter. After some research, I went with a Trane 18 seer 2 stage 4 ton system for $5500. Highly recommend the 2 stage furnace/ A/C combo. The fan runs continuously at low speed to keep the air circulating. 

I turned my A/C on yesterday for the first time this year. Forecast is to be 90 today. Summer has arrived in N IL! 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I had a leak for several years that I had to baby until I finally broke down and bought a new unit.  Anyway, that is your most likely problem.  Your refrigerant has probably all leaked out. 

Depending on the size of the leak, you may be able to fill it back up and get through the season, but you will eventually have the problem again.  

I fought my leak for 3-4 years.  In hindsight, I wish I would have bit the bullet on a new unit earlier.  It was not worth it worrying about when it would go dry again.

This was from Summers and the guy told me that freon for my unit is impossible to find and if I did do that it would be $900 or so and probably leak away in a couple weeks. I already know I'm getting a new one. Just in the quote game right now.

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I replaced mine last spring. Both Furnace and A/C were 20+ years old and on their last legs. I had a feeling costs would be going up and figured I'd be better off replacing sooner than later. There was a noticeable effect on both my electric bill last summer and gas bill this winter. After some research, I went with a Trane 18 seer 2 stage 4 ton system for $5500. Highly recommend the 2 stage furnace/ A/C combo. The fan runs continuously at low speed to keep the air circulating. 

I turned my A/C on yesterday for the first time this year. Forecast is to be 90 today. Summer has arrived in N IL! 

You got a great deal. 18 SEER here in Texas is getting around 5 figures installed.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The guy basically said my 20 year old AC system ran it's course. Was leaking freon, (if that's how you spell) etc...basically was just blowing air. 

I was asking because I had my heat pump replaced but the air handler inside my closet was fine and I paid $2400.

You may only need to replace the heat pump because the coil inside of that is where the refrigerant is.  If there is a leak in the air handler in the house then they may be able to just replace the coil inside. 

The air handler and heat pump are 2 separate units. I would definitely get a second opinion if it was me. 

The guy that did mine is one of my wife's clients and saved us alot of money. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was asking because I had my heat pump replaced but the air handler inside my closet was fine and I paid $2400.

You may only need to replace the heat pump because the coil inside of that is where the refrigerant is.  If there is a leak in the air handler in the house then they may be able to just replace the coil inside. 

The air handler and heat pump are 2 separate units. I would definitely get a second opinion if it was me. 

The guy that did mine is one of my wife's clients and saved us alot of money. 

I've got 3 different companies coming out on Friday for quotes. Hopefully we get to the bottom of which price is fair and which one is gouging. 

• Like 1