Weather events

Reacher

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I just got back from a trip up to Yosemite. Absolutely perfect weather on Thursday and Friday. A fire started in the Mariposa Groves, a collection of beautiful Sequoia trees, which made yesterday's air quality a bit more hazy, but it was still quite spectacular as the sun was filtering through an orange/amber glow all day.

I didn't know this, but fires are beneficial to the Sequoias, as it helps with their reproduction. All the small firs and cedars get burnt away, allowing Sequoias the space to grow.

Now it's back to the SoCal reality of heat, blue skies and zero rain! I do miss a good bone-rattling thunderstorm every so often.

I was there late in June. Thankful we got there before they closed that area due to the fires. 

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Stay cool down there. Hope your electricity stays on.  Sounds like rolling blackouts are possible this week.

Thanks...Good lord I hope rolling blackouts don't come our way. It's miserable in the afternoon. And no real break in sight... 

On 7/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, TheWatShot said:

No rain predicted for the next week. Looks like another punishing drought coming up. 

We (Indy) had a good soaker Friday but otherwise drought again. Hopefully the storms coming overnight tonight will give us one otherwise no rain in sight for a week.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

So, are you trying to say its hot there?

So far , so good- https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards

It is... Hopefully that holds out. I've turned everything down as low as I can. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Do we need to check in on ya?  

Nah, I'm keeping out of it as best I can. The barn was no treat this afternoon, but I didn't have but a half an hour of stuff to do down there. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 11:16 AM, Seeking6 said:

We (Indy) had a good soaker Friday but otherwise drought again. Hopefully the storms coming overnight tonight will give us one otherwise no rain in sight for a week.

Can't speak for Indy, but last night was a total bust. No storms within 100 miles of me. 

I'm not going to wish away the next 2 months, but I'm just over this summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Can't speak for Indy, but last night was a total bust. No storms within 100 miles of me. 

I'm not going to wish away the next 2 months, but I'm just over this summer. 

I think I'm with you... I used to LOVE summer. While the extended daylight is great, it's now just too hot.

I prefer crisp, autumn hoodie-weather.

• Like 1

Still love summer, but the hotter they get (and the older I get) I’m less enthused. We walk a lot to get places and in the summer, we are always trying to walk on the shady side for as long as possible. Makes a big difference, b/c some of the non-shaded streets are probably like 15 degrees hotter. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Big rains in St Louis as well as WI, IL and IN.  I got a couple of inches over the weekend but North and South of me got much more.  Any reports from @Stlboiler23 or our other St Louis members?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/26/historic-rainfall-in-st-louis-leaves-cars-stranded-on-flooded-streets-and-residents-fleeing-homes.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/u-haul-offers-30-days-free-storage-to-st-louis-area-flood-victims-301593844.html

Edited by Reacher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Big rains in St Louis as well as WI, IL and IN.  I got a couple of inches over the weekend but North and South of me got much more.  Any reports from @Stlboiler23 or our other St Louis members?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/26/historic-rainfall-in-st-louis-leaves-cars-stranded-on-flooded-streets-and-residents-fleeing-homes.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/u-haul-offers-30-days-free-storage-to-st-louis-area-flood-victims-301593844.html

Howdy! I’m in Indy now actually (was in STL when I made the account but I’m from Indy originally).  Super rainy here though. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

The death toll in the Kentucky flooding keeps going up. Floods are no joke. 

Just a perfect setup for this type of tragedy.  Hills, valleys, mountain streams, torrential overnight rain, poorly constructed homes or trailers, and limited escape routes.  I have 2 close friends/co-workers who grew up in that part of Kentucky and they still have friends and families there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just a perfect setup for this type of tragedy.  Hills, valleys, mountain streams, torrential overnight rain, poorly constructed homes or trailers, and limited escape routes.  I have 2 close friends/co-workers who grew up in that part of Kentucky and they still have friends and families there.

Yeah, pretty scary stuff. Seems like it hit when people were sleeping. What a horrible way to go. 

Down here it's wildfires...

Happened upon one about a mile from the house last night in a pasture that usually holds a couple of horses. We called the Montgomery county FD and they were able to put it out, but it's so dry here... No rain in 2 1/2 months... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Down here it's wildfires...

Happened upon one about a mile from the house last night in a pasture that usually holds a couple of horses. We called the Montgomery county FD and they were able to put it out, but it's so dry here... No rain in 2 1/2 months... 

This terrifies me. One of our big dreams was to retire to live in CA with a bunch or animals, but we both realize that we probably could not take the worry/stress of animals perishing in a fire. And fires have become so common that we realize it will never be for us. 

Now, I’m going to be worried about your horses…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

This terrifies me. One of our big dreams was to retire to live in CA with a bunch or animals, but we both realize that we probably could not take the worry/stress of animals perishing in a fire. And fires have become so common that we realize it will never be for us. 

Now, I’m going to be worried about your horses…

My friend lives near LA and just sent me a picture of a bear walking through his backyard. He does mention wildfires as a nearly annual occurrence.

• Like 1