Weather events

Reacher

Had about an hours drive coming home tonight. And then another hour clearing the driveway. Probably got 6" with another couple coming. The high end of the expected range. Interstates were terrible. Rare to see the road. As @mrflynn03 said, the rumble strips did come in handy. Don't know how the self driving cars would have made it with their sensors all covered by snow.  Here is I55 near I294

20210215_200242.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You had it worse than me. I had plenty of traffic to mat down the snow 

We dont get snowstorms down here like this. 

We might end up with 10+ inches when it's over. 

Indot just quit. They announced they wont resume road cleanup until after 3am and wont put down salt until the snow is plowed.

My wife is from central Illinois and thinks its ridiculous that Indiana, at least the southern part where we live cant clear roads. 

Edited by mrflynn03

34 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You had it worse than me. I had plenty of traffic to mat down the snow 

Man, I felt like an ice road trucker.  It felt like I didn't see anyone for days. 

At one point, on the other side, was a few semis and about a dozen cars piled up behind a salt truck. But other than that I was pretty much alone. 

Edited by mrflynn03

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Everybody alright?  Awfully dark out there.

Still have power here...got down to 6 degrees last night...10 now...I know y'all have it worse, but when you're not use to severe cold, it really blows...

I did receive an ominous text message from Entergy, saying they were going to rotate outages, so it's just a matter of time...Put about a gallon of coffee made from Keurig pods into 5 Yeti like cups so I wouldn't get stuck there...

50s by the weekend...Come on, Saturday...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Still have power here...got down to 6 degrees last night...10 now...I know y'all have it worse, but when you're not use to severe cold, it really blows...

I did receive an ominous text message from Entergy, saying they were going to rotate outages, so it's just a matter of time...Put about a gallon of coffee made from Keurig pods into 5 Yeti like cups so I wouldn't get stuck there...

50s by the weekend...Come on, Saturday...

Hell, it is 10 here now!

32 minutes ago, BDB said:

-20 here this morning when I got up. It is currently up to -18.  Supposed to be mid 30’s this time next week.  I can’t #%<€*!? Wait

I was in Greenland for a year...once it got past -10 it's really not much difference...the lowest I saw it was -45, and strangely if the wind was blowing, it actually got warmer...It's just damn cold...

Spent over 2 hours this morning shoveling our long inclined rock/gravel driveway and sidewalk/deck by hand. We got about 6 inches from yesterday afternoon until morning. Single digits and right around 0 wind chill. Took a couple advil as soon as I came in as I know my back is going to be aching later ha. I'm working from home but those of you commuting stay safe out there.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Spent over 2 hours this morning shoveling our long inclined rock/gravel driveway and sidewalk/deck by hand. We got about 6 inches from yesterday afternoon until morning. Single digits and right around 0 wind chill. Took a couple advil as soon as I came in as I know my back is going to be aching later ha. I'm working from home but those of you commuting stay safe out there.

@Joe_Hoopsier made the recommendation of Salonpas for my pipes, which worked btw (I also wrapped them in some old horse blankets...I already had insulation around them), but I needed to get an extra for my back. Getting old sucks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@Joe_Hoopsier made the recommendation of Salonpas for my pipes, which worked btw (I also wrapped them in some old horse blankets...I already had insulation around them), but I needed to get an extra for my back. Getting old sucks...

I had small icicles forming on my baseball hat I had on while shoveling when I came inside the house which my 6  year old found hilarious. I told him to wait a few years until he was old enough to shovel and he will see how funny it is ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2