Weather events

Reacher

19 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

This notice was put out by the mayor of Jasper regarding blackouts. 

20210216_173232.jpg

That's strange. I didn't know that Texas's outage are affecting other states. Not saying it's not true, but why does this only seem to be affecting Jasper? I also thought that Texas had their own power grid: There's an east power grid, a west power grid and a Texas power grid. So why would Texas be drawing specifically on Jasper's power, who is connected to the East grid, and not my city's power, who is also in Indiana and connected to the East grid.? This stuff is over my head, but I am curious if anybody can clarify that. 

Hope @Hoosierhoopster, @IUFLA and other Texas Hoosiers are hanging in there and staying warm. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

That's strange. I didn't know that Texas's outage are affecting other states. Not saying it's not true, but why does this only seem to affecting Jasper? I also thought that Texas had their own power grid: There's an east power grid, a west power grid and a Texas power grid. So why would Texas be drawing specifically on Jasper's power, who is connected to the East grid, and not my city's power, who is also in Indiana and connected to the East grid.? This stuff is over my head, but I am curious if anybody can clarify that. 

Hope @Hoosierhoopster, @IUFLA and other Texas Hoosiers are hanging in there and staying warm. 

Freezing rain right now...Yippee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That's strange. I didn't know that Texas's outage are affecting other states. Not saying it's not true, but why does this only seem to be affecting Jasper? I also thought that Texas had their own power grid: There's an east power grid, a west power grid and a Texas power grid. So why would Texas be drawing specifically on Jasper's power, who is connected to the East grid, and not my city's power, who is also in Indiana and connected to the East grid.? This stuff is over my head, but I am curious if anybody can clarify that. 

The concern is rising natural gas prices and a possible shortage. Normally, TX isn't using that much and because they failed to weatherize their Nat Gas supply, supply is now being reduced when it's needed the most. It has nothing to do with the grid being linked but rather the overall dependence on the Nat Gas supply chain. Kind of like a refinery fire can result in an increase in gas prices, in this case, Nat Gas prices rising and people are worrying about shortages. Personally, I don't think we will see shortages.

ERCOT has really being hammered lately. From not forecasting rising demand and bringing on more generators, to not weatherizing Nat Gas supplies, relying too much on wind/ solar and not having peak demand capacities available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox4kc.com/news/evergy-announces-more-blackouts-due-to-cold-explains-lack-of-notice/amp/

I found this article on KC outages. 

Record demand for energy has energy companies trying to balance the power grid. And natural gas demand. 

I think the Jasper thing was precautionary in case energy companies over here follow along.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lol...shows you how long ago I made the name up...

1998 I think, on the old Star-News site. I was still in the USAF stationed on the Florida panhandle...

And I'd never go with IUTEX...ugh...

In honor of our Free Throw shooting, you could move to Tupelo and change your name to 'IUMIS'.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, this situation in TX is not good according to many people posting on Twitter. I keep seeing busted water pipes and just saw a ceiling fan in a hallway with ice hanging off it. That’s gonna do some damage. 

I just got our car dug out earlier this week, but the streets are still busted with huge piles of snow. Our car is in a Thursday spot, so I have to move it tomorrow fort the street sweepers. But we are getting 10 inches of snow starting at 4am.

Alternate side parking should be fun tomorrow. It’s the first day it’s not been suspended since the big snow. I’m not moving until a ticket person comes through - and even then they better hope I’m in a good mood tomorrow. 

• Like 1

In 2011 when I was in college at Western Illinois (go Leathernecks!), we had a snow storm where we got around 2 feet of snow. I remember going to shovel out my car and realizing the snow that was above my car tire wasn't a drift. It was that high everywhere. I hope to never see that much snow again. The 12-15 inches we've had the last couple weeks has been more than enough.

10 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

3 days without power, pipe burst, it’s been a blast lol. But got power back tonight. It’s been nuts 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

14 and snowing here.  IIRC this will be day 15 in a row where the high temp doesn't get above freezing.  My water lines to my washer are froze now(crawl space on that part of the house).  Appears we are almost out of the deep freeze as Sunday's forecast looks "Spring like"...LOL

• Like 1

Woke up to three more inches of snow and we are projected to get up to ten today. It was beautiful and quiet out this morning, but I think I’ve had enough snow for this winter. They did decide to cancel alternate side parking today through Saturday, so thankful for that. 

My Dad (lives in Gibson County) sent me this picture of the birds at his feeders. Says the single digit temps and winds are really doing a number on them this year. During a walk he saw several dead birds. 

019A46DE-0DE4-465C-AD3F-B74D85AD4518.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Woke up to three more inches of snow and we are projected to get up to ten today. It was beautiful and quiet out this morning, but I think I’ve had enough snow for this winter. They did decide to cancel alternate side parking today through Saturday, so thankful for that. 

My Dad (lives in Gibson County) sent me this picture of the birds at his feeders. Says the single digit temps and winds are really doing a number on them this year. During a walk he saw several dead birds. 

019A46DE-0DE4-465C-AD3F-B74D85AD4518.jpeg

Sad, but at least your Dad is making sure they have food! Very cool...A couple of those Cardinals don't look like they could get off the ground...

• Like 1

He's back...

All those seeds are from the birds who have been swarming our feeder much like @Lostin76 posted above. My 6 year old named him Fatty Acorn Squirrel...he got the seeds the birds knocked out of feeder before I could blow them away with leaf blower off deck.

As for the weather...we got another 1.5 inches last night/this morning that I got to clear off driveway/sidewalk/deck this morning.

image1(6).jpeg

image0(6).jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

🤣🤣🤣 That is TOO good!

Ha...he cracks me up. We also have the super fat cardinals feeding in the bird feeder like in the pic from above. My 6 year old loves watching them and all the deer we have cruising through our property. Except for the cardinals, he was calling all the birds "chickadees".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Ha...he cracks me up. We also have the super fat cardinals feeding in the bird feeder like in the pic from above. My 6 year old loves watching them and all the deer we have cruising through our property. Except for the cardinals, he was calling all the birds "chickadees".

He's been watching old movies!

wc.PNG.32347937f4161007b7e2bf08c4f3f3eb.PNG

• Haha 1