Weather events

Reacher

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Ha...he cracks me up. We also have the super fat cardinals feeding in the bird feeder like in the pic from above. My 6 year old loves watching them and all the deer we have cruising through our property. Except for the cardinals, he was calling all the birds "chickadees".

I can’t remember where I read it, but it was about a father and his son discovering bird feders during the pandemic. The kid started naming all of them and then drawing them. Was a really cute article. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:35 AM, Lostin76 said:

That’s what I told him - some chunky bois! They also feed corn to the deer and dry cat food(?) to the blue jays. 

I got a warning from the ST of IL DNR about feeding corn to the deer. I would put some out when it got below 0. Apparently they noticed from an airplane and sent me a letter. Something about hoof and mouth disease. I don't remember exactly. Was 15 - 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I got a warning from the ST of IL DNR about feeding corn to the deer. I would put some out when it got below 0. Apparently they noticed from an airplane and sent me a letter. Something about hoof and mouth disease. I don't remember exactly. Was 15 - 20 years ago. 

Isn't that the interesting part about humankinds involvement in the overall things of the world?

For the first time in my life a body of water was frozen enough I could walk on water, well frozen water. About 30' from the bank. To the right of my snowball throwing hand someone shoveled out an ice skating area. 

I told her the snowball was a prop but threw it anyway.  I missed, she didnt. 

Resized952021022095172802.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

For the first time in my life a body of water was frozen enough I could walk on water, well frozen water. About 30' from the bank. To the right of my snowball throwing hand someone shoveled out an ice skating area. 

I told her the snowball was a prop but threw it anyway.  I missed, she didnt. 

Resized952021022095172802.jpg

I bring the auger, you buy the beer.  We will cut that ice up into swiss cheese.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm expecting a high bill this time but that's simply ridiculous...

My electricity is through Entergy...just got the bill email...

$268 and change...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BDB said:

Holy sh!t.  What is it normally?

Depends...fall and spring when we don't have to run either the AC or heat, it's around $150...

Summer when the AC runs a lot, $250 or so...

I'm not nearly as energy conscious about my house as I probably should be...I did buy a Nest thermostat, but we don't turn every light off we should, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sleep in a hot bedroom...I'm no where near as crabby about it as my old man was...if you had the fridge open for more than 5 seconds he'd tell you that you shop for food at the grocery...not in the fridge...

Edited by IUFLA

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

So I looked a bit deeper on this...

Apparently some energy companies in Texas, which has deregulated electricity, offer a "variable rate" for delivering it...

"A variable-rate electricity plan is just what it sounds like – the rate you pay for electricity can vary from one month to the next. These rate changes are usually caused by changes in how much it costs to generate and deliver electricity. In Texas, most of our electricity is generated from natural gas, so changes in the price of natural gas can make the rates on these plans go up or down."

Entergy, the company that delivers my electricity, and out here in the boonies, you don't have a lot of options, charges a fixed rate...don't even offer a variable rate that I know of...

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, Drroogh said:

Isn't that the interesting part about humankinds involvement in the overall things of the world?

My neighbor puts corn out for deer here in W. Ohio.  I asked her to stop because it was not good for deer and attracts them.  (They feed on my flowers and vegetables.)

But be advised that even the State of NY has prohibited putting corn out for deer.  Evidently their normal feed is leaves.  Not the carbohydrates and sugar in corn.  That stuff can cause deer digestive problems.  And it upsets their feeding habits.  Not to mention overpopulation problems if it comes to that.  

My neighbor doesn't like government regulations and advice from know-it-alls.  I told her it was bad for the deer and she did stop.  She is from upstate NY and heck, they feed deer all the time. ..she says.  I had to stop saying anything.  She is very nice and a wonderful neighbor.  I'm building this 12' high barrier around my yard with 30 lb test fishing line.  Not kidding.

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Depends...fall and spring when we don't have to run either the AC or heat, it's around $150...

Summer when the AC runs a lot, $250 or so...

I'm not nearly as energy conscious about my house as I probably should be...I did buy a Nest thermostat, but we don't turn every light off we should, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sleep in a hot bedroom...I'm no where near as crabby about it as my old man was...if you had the fridge open for more than 5 seconds he'd tell you that you shop for food at the grocery...not in the fridge...

Level month-to-month billing here in W. Ohio...$158/month.  We have an all electric house. 2400 Sq Ft. 2 story with full basement. Don't run the AC in summer unless it gets over 87 degrees...generally.  

I don't recommend variable rates on anything.  Mortgages will kill you.  And we see what is happening in Texas.  One thing for sure about global warming...the climate variability will increase dramatically.  Thank goodness there might be a temporary break, though.  Seems a lot of heat may have escaped the atmosphere recently...not kidding.  High pressure over the north pole somehow may have radiated the heat outward in an unprecedented fashion.  That may cause the polar vortex to not wander like it has done recently.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so I just checked the forecast at my daughter’s outside of LA, my son’s outside of Chicago and the family cabin in northern Wisconsin. All of them are within 2 degrees of my abode in central GA. The forecasts are virtually the same! 

Talk about weird weather!

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Ugh.....snowing here as I type.

Yeah...had just a dusting on my car.  But hey...it's Opening Day here in Cincinnati.  Baseball season!  "You can tell your old aunt Hattie, this year in Cincinnati, what a team, what a team, what a team!".   Yeah...people sang that little ditty back in 1961...but not recently, that's for sure!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

What a difference a week makes...potential record high coming today.  The record is 81.  The predicted high?  80.

The Reds are enjoying this weather.   "You can tell your old aunt Hattie, this year in Cincinnati.... what a team, what a team, what a team!!"     😁

• Like 1