Weather events

Reacher

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, I was down in the Florida panhandle then, dodging hurricanes...moved to Chicagoland in 2000...

Blackberry Creek ran through my backyard. Kept watching the water rise and eventually put up sandbags but didnt need them to as the water stopped a few feet from my house. Did flood a bunch of my neighbors. That is when I learned the value of high ground!

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Blackberry Creek ran through my backyard. Kept watching the water rise and eventually put up sandbags but didnt need them to as the water stopped a few feet from my house. Did flood a bunch of my neighbors. That is when I learned the value of high ground!

I lived about 2 blocks west of Blackberry Creek in the Blackberry Crossing subdivision...

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I lived about 2 blocks west of Blackberry Creek in the Blackberry Crossing subdivision...

Small world... I knew you were likely downstream there somewhere. I was just north of Blackberry farm. Hmmm... time for some blackberries!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm stoked after seeing the 7 day forecast for my area this week. We MIGHT see a thunderstorm where I live! This is so exciting! We haven't had a thunderstorm in over 4 weeks, and only two all year! 

I havent had a legit thunderstorm in years. I remember growing up a few times a summer having what seemed like day long storms. 

The town I live in has some sort of force field that repels storms. They literally break apart, bypass my town, and come back together after passing. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I havent had a legit thunderstorm in years. I remember growing up a few times a summer having what seemed like day long storms. 

The town I live in has some sort of force field that repels storms. They literally break apart, bypass my town, and come back together after passing. 

You must live in the same town as I do.  lol  About a 50 minute drive North of Eville.  Happens here all the time.

22 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm stoked after seeing the 7 day forecast for my area this week. We MIGHT see a thunderstorm where I live! This is so exciting! We haven't had a thunderstorm in over 4 weeks, and only two all year! 

Some of my best childhood memories were sitting on our covered front porch with my Dad watching a thunderstorm roll in. That smell in the air and just the fury of the thunder and lightening was super exciting as a kid. Still is honestly, though we don’t get those types of events here that much. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm not the only one with the storm force field? I've taken many screen shots of the radar showing just that phenomenon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'm not the only one with the storm force field? I've taken many screen shots of the radar showing just that phenomenon.

I think everyone has their own "bubble" or "force field" that robs them of the best storms. 

In northern Indiana, I've always joked Highway 31 is the first barrier storms have to cross, followed by I-69. I tip my hat to the storms that pass both roads without breaking up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think everyone has their own "bubble" or "force field" that robs them of the best storms. 

In northern Indiana, I've always joked Highway 31 is the first barrier storms have to cross, followed by I-69. I tip my hat to the storms that pass both roads without breaking up. 

I don't know what year ago it is was when it happened but I lived in Warren( close to Bluffton) and I had never seen so much rain.  Made it across the Huntington dam just before they shut off traffic, before they opened the flood gates to save the dam.  

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know what year ago it is was when it happened but I lived in Warren( close to Bluffton) and I had never seen so much rain.  Made it across the Huntington dam just before they shut off traffic, before they opened the flood gates to save the dam.  

There was a huge flood in 2003, after we had an ungodly amount of rain from July 4-9. The summer of 2015, Salamonie Lake had to close its campground because all the sites were underwater. We had a metric sh*t ton and a half of rain in June that year, then I don't think it rained at all in July or August. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

There was a huge flood in 2003, after we had an ungodly amount of rain from July 4-9. The summer of 2015, Salamonie Lake had to close its campground because all the sites were underwater. We had a metric sh*t ton and a half of rain in June that year, then I don't think it rained at all in July or August. 

When I was in college my Senior year 2008 I was taking an aquatic biology class.  Southern Indiana had a 500 year flood event.  Wildest thing I've ever seen.  My professor took the class to check it out. And also cull some fish for a lesson and I was the only one with the balls to get in the water. 

We also went fishing together on the Ohio river.

BTW, I've stood on the hydroelectric dam where the Ohio river and Wabash river converge.

Edited by mrflynn03

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Right now, there's a storm cell to my northwest and another to the southeast. Of course they're moving northeast. 

I'm going to be like Jim Cantore reacting to thundersnow when I finally hear the sound of thunder again. 

It poured here early yesterday evening.  Haven't checked the rain gauge yet, but I would say I got an inch.  

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just missing me today, but the last 3 weeks it's been a daily occurrence...Screenshot_20210607-163912.thumb.png.197dd8dd1d15b501f7ee5e961dbe3f21.png

I wish you would stop gathering up rain and sending it my way!😠

You need to start sending it West. They have a drought going again in Cali where my daughter’s family lives!

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I wish you would stop gathering up rain and sending it my way!😠

You need to start sending it West. They have a drought going again in Cali where my daughter’s family lives!

I just saw a piece yesterday on the Hoover Dam.  Wow.

• Like 1