Weather events

Reacher

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

81 degrees at the moment.....ain't going to lie...pretty nice. I've always liked the seasons and weather changes....what I've never liked is the dreary weeks on end without seeing the sun up north....almost depressing and I'm appreciative of the sun for not having to deal with that.

One day, my friend.  One day.  Have to convince the wife.  She seems to be on the fence when I bring it up.  Something silly like being close to grandkids.  Although, I'm looking more to Arizona than I am Florida.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

81 degrees at the moment.....ain't going to lie...pretty nice. I've always liked the seasons and weather changes....what I've never liked is the dreary weeks on end without seeing the sun up north....almost depressing and I'm appreciative of the sun for not having to deal with that.

I was there Sun and heard everyone panicking about falling iguanas, bundling up and even the morning news warning about dogs getting hypothermia if they are wet and have to go out.  

Blue skies and palm trees were a treat even if it only got into the sixties.

Flew home Wed eve after getting a little sunburn in the aft walking on the beach while in the 80's. 

We had a good 10 inches on the ground here but I lucked out in that my son had come over and shoveled the driveway for me.  Looks to be 0 or below tomorrow night.  Sun might come out for a bit on Saturday. 4 weeks of winter isn't too bad, especially when you can get away from some of it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One day, my friend.  One day.  Have to convince the wife.  She seems to be on the fence when I bring it up.  Something silly like being close to grandkids.  Although, I'm looking more to Arizona than I am Florida.   

FL has its moments, but I'd pick AZ over FL as well. Maybe up a mountain a little bit to get away from the heat and crowds of the valley. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If it wasn't for my wife being homesick for Indiana, I would still be living on the coast of North Carolina. I loved it there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Reacher said:

FL has its moments, but I'd pick AZ over FL as well. Maybe up a mountain a little bit to get away from the heat and crowds of the valley. 

My wife's brother lives in Mesa.  So, we've visited quite a few times.  And, yeah, it can get hot.  But, the last couple of years, I've really started to notice a difference in my overall mood and health when it's cold and gloomy versus sunny and warm.  

And, as you mentioned, it's easier to get away from the heat in Arizona than it is Florida.  You can take a day trip to Flagstaff or something and knock 30 degrees off the temperature.

And, for me, another big advantage to AZ of FL is spring training baseball.  Everything nice and compact in the Valley.  Spread out all over the state in Florida.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Both places have their specialties and uniqueness. Love both but I keep coming back to the people. Gulf side of Florida still feels home to me.....Arizona has a different vibe. No slant to either but one makes me/us feel better....but I'll enjoy both. Sister in law and her family moving to Mesa from Illinois after this school year. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 3

I for one, don't like the desert. Too depressing for me. I recently went out to eastern Cal to help my brother renovate his kitchen. Once you get out of town where everything is landscaped, you think you're on the surface of the moon.

I drove back to SC from Cal and until I hit Dallas, I kept thinking "there's no way I would live out here".

But....that's just me. I like green trees, grass,etc. Not a fan of brown and tan of the desert.

• Like 3

Hope everyone local to the 219/317/812/847/815/312/773 got all dug out today. 8718 steps today without a workout and it's all snow removal here in Indy. Still have more to do but that's for tomorrow. 

Now it's just going to be zero wind chills tomorrow. Haha. Once a year it hits and we complain and it's gone. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We were all down that way (Naples) a few weeks ago. I know the end game is there or near there....just wanting to hurry it up a bit!

The housing market is crazy down here for sure. Not sure I could have afforded to even get into my current home if we had decided to move down here after Covid. You want to do a lot of research and feel comfortable about where you end up but at the same time if you find the right house the market is such that many are selling unlisted and above asking price 10% in desirable areas. All said it was the best decision (outside having our child) my wife and I have ever made though. From no state income tax to lower energy bills to the personal freedoms we have been fortunate to have and of course the beauty of scenery and weather. Good luck in whatever decision you make!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lots of cheap flights to Florida...plus if you are going to not live near all them etc Florida is already a popular vacation spot with activities for all ages/types so they will visit way more than if you lived in other parts of the country.

21 hours ago, Reacher said:

I was there Sun and heard everyone panicking about falling iguanas, bundling up and even the morning news warning about dogs getting hypothermia if they are wet and have to go out.  

Blue skies and palm trees were a treat even if it only got into the sixties.

Flew home Wed eve after getting a little sunburn in the aft walking on the beach while in the 80's. 

We had a good 10 inches on the ground here but I lucked out in that my son had come over and shoveled the driveway for me.  Looks to be 0 or below tomorrow night.  Sun might come out for a bit on Saturday. 4 weeks of winter isn't too bad, especially when you can get away from some of it!

Yeah last week was unusual for sure! All in all a blip on the radar as we have been back to low 80's since. This time of year is just perfect....high 70's low 80's low humidity.....unfortunately it is also season for those coming down from up North. Combine them coming in plus the pandemic shortages and the grocery stores are basically wiped out.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The housing market is crazy down here for sure. Not sure I could have afforded to even get into my current home if we had decided to move down here after Covid. You want to do a lot of research and feel comfortable about where you end up but at the same time if you find the right house the market is such that many are selling unlisted and above asking price 10% in desirable areas. All said it was the best decision (outside having our child) my wife and I have ever made though. From no state income tax to lower energy bills to the personal freedoms we have been fortunate to have and of course the beauty of scenery and weather. Good luck in whatever decision you make!

We've always been pretty thorough in our homework. We had narrowed our choice to 4 places in Feb of 2020 where we were narrowing things down. Of course the world exploded 30 days and later and we might have to put this on the backburner until things settle down. All 4 places are 70% above what they were in Feb 2020 so we aren't in a rush to pay for this frenzy right now. If anything we would just rent next year but even that's crazy. 

Although to keep my comments on topic....I just finished shoveling snow for the past 3-4 hours. This cold is beating me this week with no end in sight so maybe I wouldn't paying a bit extra. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Lots of cheap flights to Florida...plus if you are going to not live near all them etc Florida is already a popular vacation spot with activities for all ages/types so they will visit way more than if you lived in other parts of the country.

I think I got $79 fare (one way) for my recent trip when I booked it in Nov. 

Combine that with a free place to stay at your house and @5fouls has nothing to complain about!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We've always been pretty thorough in our homework. We had narrowed our choice to 4 places in Feb of 2020 where we were narrowing things down. Of course the world exploded 30 days and later and we might have to put this on the backburner until things settle down. All 4 places are 70% above what they were in Feb 2020 so we aren't in a rush to pay for this frenzy right now. If anything we would just rent next year but even that's crazy. 

Although to keep my comments on topic....I just finished shoveling snow for the past 3-4 hours. This cold is beating me this week with no end in sight so maybe I wouldn't paying a bit extra. 

I don't see FL prices cooling off with the amount of people looking to go there. Hopefully you get some decent appreciation on your place to somewhat keep up. 

The crazy prices and crowds are why TN is my likely destination. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was 60 degrees here yesterday. Went into Manhattan late in the afternoon to meet my wife for drinks and snacks in the West Village and the city was PACKED. Everyone was out enjoying the amazing weather. Every bar and restaurant was jammed with both outdoor and indoor seating and people lined up waiting for tables. We found a place off the beaten track for drinks and then I pulled up the score of the IU/MSU game - which really sucked. 

Today it’s 30 degrees and we have four inches of snow so far. 

Heading into the Lower East Side later for our annual “hard to get into restaurant during the Super Bowl” tradition, and we will be wearing snow boots. 

• Like 1