Weather events

Reacher

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We'll, we're stocked up, gassed up, and have money. All there is to do now is wait. Traditionally, the serious stuff happens on the Northeast side of the storm. On its current track, my place is on the Northwestern side. So I expect wind and rain, and hopefully not much else. God speed to the people in the path of the eye...

Screenshot_20200826-064841.png

Be safe bro...and put "Key Largo" in the dvd.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cat 3 last I heard, but continuing to gain strength.

I'm watching it pretty carefully. If it would take a more Westerly jog, me and the wife will head for San Marcos.

After checking. You are correct.  Currently a cat 3.... with an expectation to rise to a cat 4 by Wednesday afternoon.

Hurricane Laura path and storm tracker has it strengthening into Category 4 system as it heads toward Texas and Louisiana: NHC, NOAA - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

I often ask members to stay safe due to the pandemic.  In this case I am asking you to stay safe for an entirely different reason. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not to take away from the events in the Gulf. Just heard this morning on local tv.  That due to the wildfires in the West..... Denver now has some of worst rated air quality in the world.

I haven't been following the fires as closely as last year's, but they are indeed horrifying. The video on Twitter of the truck driving through switchbacks with fire surrounding it is insane. We really, really love Northern CA and have thought about retiring there, but all the stories of people losing their homes, animals, and livestock gives us pause.

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I haven't been following the fires as closely as last year's, but they are indeed horrifying. The video on Twitter of the truck driving through switchbacks with fire surrounding it is insane. We really, really love Northern CA and have thought about retiring there, but all the stories of people losing their homes, animals, and livestock gives us pause.

Interstate 70 in the mountains of Colorado was closed to traffic for nearly two weeks, due to an uncontrolled wildfire close to it. And that is just one of five wildfires in Colorado.  I saw on the news, yesterday.  A guy in California who watched as his house burned completely to the ground in just 15 minutes.  And the storage building where he had numerous antique cars burned and destroyed them all, as well.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We'll, we're stocked up, gassed up, and have money. All there is to do now is wait. Traditionally, the serious stuff happens on the Northeast side of the storm. On its current track, my place is on the Northwestern side. So I expect wind and rain, and hopefully not much else. God speed to the people in the path of the eye...

Screenshot_20200826-064841.png

Prayers you and your family as well as all in the path. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Interstate 70 in the mountains of Colorado was closed to traffic for nearly two weeks, due to an uncontrolled wildfire close to it. And that is just one of five wildfires in Colorado.  I saw on the news, yesterday.  A guy in California who watched as his house burned completely to the ground in just 15 minutes.  And the storage building where he had numerous antique cars burned and destroyed them all, as well.

Listened to NPR and they were interviewing a firefighter (for the last 23 years) whose house burned down. Lost his home and a bunch of animals. So tragic.

This thing seems to be gaining steam and momentum. Was just reading if this didn't hit mountains in Cuba this would easily become a category 5. Be safe there! Hate when these storms hit at night. High tide and adding these surges? That town of Cameron, Louisiana is only 8 feet above sea level. Praying for all.

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Life as usual here in Texas. Looks bad for Louisiana 

Well, they are catching it in Beaumont and Port Arthur...

Here's a model for 11 pm tonight...the peg just north of Kingwood is my location...close shave...

hurricane.PNG

Edited by IUFLA

Just a short topic.  Have never been in a hurricane.  And I can't imagine what it would be like. As I once managed my way through a tornado once.  Working summers as an IU student... at U.S. Steel.  Had the midnight shift.  Took the bus to get home.  One block before my stop. One guy attempted to get off and got blown back into the bus.  Gathered himself, and got off. Next stop was mine. I got off... and was blown half a block down the street. No street lights.  Managed to grab onto a telephone poll.  Then made my way to my house. Horrible winds.  Went down the middle of the street.  And had to climb over trees blown over onto the street.  Managed to make it home.  Thank full.  Yet another life experience I will never forget.

Well, that was easy over here...

I don't think we even got to 10 mph on the wind at my place. A little rain was about it.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Join me in giving them out to the people in Beaumont and Lake Charles. They got pounded. God speed to them...

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, that was easy over here...

I don't think we even got to 10 mph on the wind at my place. A little rain was about it.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Join me in giving them out to the people in Beaumont and Lake Charles. They got pounded. God speed to them...

Great to hear. Been looking for your post

• Thanks 1