Braunschweiger?

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

There is a wild game restaurant in Louisville that serves marrow as a appetizer, and while a friend raved about it, I have not had it.

On a work trip, my wife and I went to Cabo. One of the restaurants we visited had an appetizer that was corn fungus. Basically, black fungus that they scraped off an ear of corn and turned into a paste. Became a spread on crackers.

I did not try it, but my wife said that it was delicious. May or may not have been the margaritas talking.

Source of debate to this day 

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

On a work trip, my wife and I went to Cabo. One of the restaurants we visited had an appetizer that was corn fungus. Basically, black fungus that they scraped off an ear of corn and turned into a paste. Became a spread on crackers.

I did not try it, but my wife said that it was delicious. May or may not have been the margaritas talking.

Source of debate to this day 

Corn fungus?  I think I saw that on an episode of Gordon Ramsey;s Kitchen Nightmares, but I didn't think it was on purpose.   I can't imagine the level of hunger that leads to these culinary discoveries.

"Corn fungus" sounds like something a podiatrist treats.

I don't mind marrow. It's actually a great source of protein. Taste and consistency of beef flavored Jello.

I don't mind wild greens either, if they're served warm. Indiana is probably too far north, but one of the best is called branch lettuce. Grows alongside small mountain streams/brooks, particularly in the Appalachian foothills. I call it "hillbilly spinach salad". Pick it, wash it, fry up some bacon and onions, toss in the lettuce and eat.

So yesterday I decided to try and find out just how crazy I was as a teenager with my Braunschweiger sandwich! Went to the Piggly Wiggly and I was beginning to think they didn't know what Braunschweiger was in the South, but then I saw a package of "Liver Sausage"! Maybe they still don't know what Braunschweiger is??  Anyway, took a package home and made one of my not so famous Braunschweiger, peanut butter and mayo sandwiches, with the addition of a slice of cheese! Can't say it was fantastic, but it was good enough I made two more! 😜

As a side note I couldn't find any anchovy paste.

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So yesterday I decided to try and find out just how crazy I was as a teenager with my Braunschweiger sandwich! Went to the Piggly Wiggly and I was beginning to think they didn't know what Braunschweiger was in the South, but then I saw a package of "Liver Sausage"! Maybe they still don't know what Braunschweiger is??  Anyway, took a package home and made one of my not so famous Braunschweiger, peanut butter and mayo sandwiches, with the addition of a slice of cheese! Can't say it was fantastic, but it was good enough I made two more! 😜

As a side note I couldn't find any anchovy paste.

If 3 braunschweiger, mayo and peanut butter sandwiches were my main course, I'd need a double side of Lipitor with a stent for dessert.

Archived