2019 Season Record Prediction

Andy06

If this is a duplicate thread,  someone let me know and we can delete.   I don't see one that has been started and wanted to get a feel for what everyone thinks for this year. 

I have predicted 5-7 the last 2 years and was unfortunately correct.   This year I say 6-6.

I have been going back and forth between 5-7 and 7-5, so I decided to hedge and go right down the middle.   What does everyone else think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I don't like our schedule, I'm going with 7-5. I would understand if we go 5-7 again though.

I think we should see pretty noticeable improvement on both sides of the ball and on special teams.  With Deboer and hopefully Penix, the offense should be way better. The defense with Wommack and a lot more experience should be a lot better. Special teams can't get any worse. I'd be really surprised if all three areas don't show improvement.

I think things are going to start clicking this year. Pull off a big win, and things might snowball.

I like to put games into tiers to predict seasons. 

Tier 1:

Ball St, Eastern Ill, UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland 

Tier 2:

Purdue, Northwestern 

Tier 3:

OSU, MSU, PSU, Michigan, Nebraska 

Tier 1 are all winnable so I’d put them at 4-1. Tier 2 could go either way so they are 1-1. The last tier you just hope for a single win to be 1-4. 

That puts it at 6-6. 

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It raises an interesting question.  Which would you RATHER experience.

• 614 years with the life of a healthy fifty year old......
  • or, an IU Rose Bowl appearance

I just want to experience the Rose Bowl and the parade when they play the IU fight song. Don’t care who the opponent is.

Heck, it could be Montana State for all I care 😛

18 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Purdue, Northwestern 

Tier 3:

Tier 1 are all winnable so I’d put them at 4-1. Tier 2 could go either way so they are 1-1. The last tier you just hope for a single win to be 1-4. 

That puts it at 6-6. 

Life in the Big 10 East. HAVE to sweep Tier 1, Split Tier 2, and pray we can knock off one of tier 3. That would give us 7. Historically nothing is ever as it seems for IU Football so I'll say we lose one Tier 1, Split Tier 2, and 1 upset of Tier 3. I'll go 6-6.

20 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Purdue, Northwestern 

Tier 3:

That puts it at 6-6. 

nebraska hasn't done anything to warrant being lumped in with osu and michigan. they are tier 2

Tough call. But just off the top of my head:

OSU, PSU, Rutgers, Maryland,  IU, PU, Northwestern 

Michigan,  MSU, Illinois,  Wisconsin,  Minnesota,  Iowa, Nebraska 

Split the top 4, and have the two worst schools in opposite divisions. Historically that second division could be tough,  but Nebraska and Iowa aren't on the level of the Big 4 right now.  Just one man's thought.

9-3 and call me the sunshine pumper.

I'm going to be really optimistic this year.  I've thought next year is the real turning point for a while now, but I think some things could fall into place and make the East less of a gauntlet this year.

Bold predictions that will lead to this record:

- This is the year IU knocks off OSU and Michigan.  Ohio State takes a small step back due to the coaching change, and Michigan has even one disappointing loss, and the calls for Harbaugh's job provide enough of a distraction that they are reeling by the time a rolling IU team finally knocks them off after being close the last few years.

- Purdue also takes a step back (though due to their schedule could still be bowl eligible) due to simply not having Blough.  I'm just not sold on Sindelar playing as well as Blough did last year.

- IU also takes a huge step forward and consistently beats the teams it should while also beating Northwestern at home

Losses to MSU, PSU, and Nebraska

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

4-8

I am not in favor of turning coaches over that quickly,  but 4-8 should be unacceptable this year. 

I honestly think the football team has a better shot at a bowl game than the basketball team does making the NCAA tournament. 

Archived