2019 Season Record Prediction

Andy06

9-3    If this team embraces that identity it found at UM and has a bit of fortune with the health of it's top playmakers - they have the physical capabilities and team depth to sustain a higher level of play - if the mental focus is there.  Usually is mental when a team appears to play up or down to the level of their opponent the way IU has in most games for 4 years - with 2 different coaches and all kinds of unsettled positions and roles.. Now there are more faces able to compete and that raises the bottom line when higher level players are coming off the bench should IU have the same rough luck with injuries to stars. That depth and a tough identity are huge when football takes it's usual yearly toll on the player's bodies. IU's S&C staff are not the least of the reasons to be optimistic for Indiana no matter how overall team health works out  - to do no less than 5 wins -the lowest I would predict as likely this season.  ^ This above are far from alone as being reasons for thinking a real well defined breakout year could take place. 

10+ is the ceiling and 5 is probably the floor for wins on this year in acknowledgement of past reality. 6 to 9 just seems is most likely to me after all the research I've done on my free time this week. 9 is my guess though!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

9-3    If this team embraces that identity it found at UM and has a bit of fortune with the health of it's top playmakers - they have the physical capabilities and team depth to sustain a higher level of play - if the mental focus is there.  Usually is mental when a team appears to play up or down to the level of their opponent the way IU has in most games for 4 years - with 2 different coaches and all kinds of unsettled positions and roles.. Now there are more faces able to compete and that raises the bottom line when higher level players are coming off the bench should IU have the same rough luck with injuries to stars. That depth and a tough identity are huge when football takes it's usual yearly toll on the player's bodies. IU's S&C staff are not the least of the reasons to be optimistic for Indiana no matter how overall team health works out  - to do no less than 5 wins -the lowest I would predict as likely this season.  ^ This above are far from alone as being reasons for thinking a real well defined breakout year could take place. 

10+ is the ceiling and 5 is probably the floor for wins on this year in acknowledgement of past reality. 6 to 9 just seems is most likely to me after all the research I've done on my free time this week. 9 is my guess though!

Love the optimism!  Love love love it!

But...I’ve been a fan of IUFB too long to be jilted into thinking anything better than a 6-6 record is a pipe dream.  Reality is that we are in the B1G East and that does us no favors with conference scheduling.  Our West foes are managible, but Nebraska is a “?” and Purdue is trending up.  Playing them in WL is not going to be easy...

Also, I’m tired of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed again.

20 hours ago, Andy06 said:

I am not in favor of turning coaches over that quickly,  but 4-8 should be unacceptable this year. 

I honestly think the football team has a better shot at a bowl game than the basketball team does making the NCAA tournament. 

Now that Penix has won the job I'll go with 5-7.

6 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I love what you are trying to sell here Coach Allen ( i kid ) Please tell us how we get to , in your mind, ,10 wins. Who keeps us from winning the National Championship. ( i kid again ). I look forward to reading your thoughts here. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I love what you are trying to sell here Coach Allen ( i kid ) Please tell us how we get to , in your mind, ,10 wins. Who keeps us from winning the National Championship. ( i kid again ). I look forward to reading your thoughts here. Thanks.

It's one thing to pick 9 wins ...It's a complete different thing to pick 9 without acknowledging I might see only 5 or 6 . 

I just did it like this as I studied 2 different(B1G) opponents each day during my off week last week.  1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=9 ..They called it math(addition) back when I went to school . ;) 

OSU, Sparty ,Northwestern I have as losses. I actually had one other loss predicted but I refuse to type that blasphemy in verbatim terms. I just settled it and typed 9  instead of 8 .

Would LOVE to be surprised on the upside but am going with 5-7. (doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the annual  “I can’t believe they picked us to finish that low” comments and the pre-season 8,9,10 win projections :) ).  Hopefully we sweep the three non-conference games and find a way to win two BT games. 

3 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Would LOVE to be surprised on the upside but am going with 5-7. (doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the annual  “I can’t believe they picked us to finish that low” comments and the pre-season 8,9,10 win projections :) ).  Hopefully we sweep the three non-conference games and find a way to win two BT games. 

We lose one every year that we were supposed to win. If we dont do that, we have a chance to go to a bowl. With 6 teams on our schedule in the top 25, I just don't see it.

I don't know if it will translate to more wins or not, but I keep thinking about how much better we appear to be now than at the start of last season.

Much better OC. Haven't seen his work on the field yet, but based on past success and work so far here, I'm confident he's at least a decent upgrade. Could be a significant upgrade.

New DC who is basically running the same thing Allen has run. Had good success at other places, and I've really liked all the interviews I've seen with him.  Looks like he wants to take Allen's defense to another level.

New starting QB that was able to beat out last year's starting QB. Excited to have a QB who could go out and win some games instead of being a game manager. The nice thing too is that we have 4 games we should have no business losing, so even if he struggles in those, hopefully we can still get wins. All we need after that is 2+ games where he plays well to make a bowl.

Allen full time HC. I'm sure he'll have a bigger hand on special teams this year, so that can't be worse. More time to oversee other areas and focus on game management.

2nd year in strength program. I've noticed this year that a lot of our guys look completely jacked. I love the scientific approach they take to training, and the speed and acceleration they worked on building this offseason.

We returned almost all of our best players, and have excellent replacements at areas that we lost people at (like safeties to replace Crawford). Much more depth and experience this year.

I don't know if I'm ready to hop on the #9windiana train quite yet, but this is the first time I can remember that I could actually see a path to 9 wins. Still going with 7 wins, but at least there's excitement around the program after 2 straight bowl misses, especially after Penix was named the starter.

Is it Saturday yet?

My heart says this is the year that we turn the corner and get to a bowl but y head tells me 5-7.  I guess until they prove me wrong I will go with 5-7 because that is what I predicted last year and that was our record.  I really do think we are on the right track and would not be surprised if we win 6 or 7 games.

7-5 or 8-4.  We stop losing to teams we should beat, so we win all 5 of those Tier 1 games.  Then hopefully, either 2-0 against the Tier 2's or 1-1, plus we beat Nebraska.  Maybe even 9-3 if all goes well and we have no major injuries, weather related problems, etc.  It is about time that IU football steps it up, beats whoever we should beat and give the big boys a real run for their money.  No more stupid TO's and no more blowouts.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:02 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

Tough call. But just off the top of my head:

OSU, PSU, Rutgers, Maryland,  IU, PU, Northwestern 

Michigan,  MSU, Illinois,  Wisconsin,  Minnesota,  Iowa, Nebraska 

Split the top 4, and have the two worst schools in opposite divisions. Historically that second division could be tough,  but Nebraska and Iowa aren't on the level of the Big 4 right now.  Just one man's thought.

i'm not certain michigan st is on the level of the big 4

On 8/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, jblaz13 said:

one week's research in your free time leads you to believe we win 9 games, the greatest season in over 50 years?!? i want some of what you're having. but somewhere between 5 and 11 wins, right? 

Archived