2019 Season Record Prediction

Andy06

On 8/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, rogue3542 said:

9-3 and call me the sunshine pumper.

I'm going to be really optimistic this year.  I've thought next year is the real turning point for a while now, but I think some things could fall into place and make the East less of a gauntlet this year.

Bold predictions that will lead to this record:

- This is the year IU knocks off OSU and Michigan.  Ohio State takes a small step back due to the coaching change, and Michigan has even one disappointing loss, and the calls for Harbaugh's job provide enough of a distraction that they are reeling by the time a rolling IU team finally knocks them off after being close the last few years.

- Purdue also takes a step back (though due to their schedule could still be bowl eligible) due to simply not having Blough.  I'm just not sold on Sindelar playing as well as Blough did last year.

- IU also takes a huge step forward and consistently beats the teams it should while also beating Northwestern at home

Losses to MSU, PSU, and Nebraska

if we beat osu and mich, no way we lose to nebraska and mich st. lol

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/26/2019 at 1:18 PM, ClusterHead said:

Love the optimism!  Love love love it!

But...I’ve been a fan of IUFB too long to be jilted into thinking anything better than a 6-6 record is a pipe dream.  Reality is that we are in the B1G East and that does us no favors with conference scheduling.  Our West foes are managible, but Nebraska is a “?” and Purdue is trending up.  Playing them in WL is not going to be easy...

Also, I’m tired of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed again.

after 40 plus years following iu, i am also tired of getting my hopes dashed. and yet...here i go again

On 8/26/2019 at 6:40 PM, Indykev said:

I love what you are trying to sell here Coach Allen ( i kid ) Please tell us how we get to , in your mind, ,10 wins. Who keeps us from winning the National Championship. ( i kid again ). I look forward to reading your thoughts here. Thanks.

actually, he said "10+"

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think their offense had a lot of injuries last year too. 

That's what I meant...he was pre-season 1st team all conference qb at the beginning of last year, and then got beat up. His play really suffered. If he can revert to 2017 form, which led him to the pre-season accolades, they will be pretty good.

20 hours ago, IUguy said:

7-5 or 8-4.  We stop losing to teams we should beat, so we win all 5 of those Tier 1 games.  Then hopefully, either 2-0 against the Tier 2's or 1-1, plus we beat Nebraska.  Maybe even 9-3 if all goes well and we have no major injuries, weather related problems, etc.  It is about time that IU football steps it up, beats whoever we should beat and give the big boys a real run for their money.  No more stupid TO's and no more blowouts.

which weather related problems can cost us wins exactly?

we are still a young team comprised mostly of freshmen and sophomores. our players look different than years ago. big, lean and stronger looking. credit to allen's recruiting and the strength/conditioning coaches, in which iu invested heavily. very worried about our d-line. looks like the weakest link on the team. if they surprise, we will go to a bowl. if not, we could get a steady diet of big ten teams ramming it down our throat. that, i think, is the key. linebacker also looked weak going into spring but i think allen made some good moves there. moving cam jones to lb was smart. remember the hit he put on that michigan receiver last year and the unwarranted penalty? ball can move to the box and give us two freakish athletes there, albeit a little undersized. our db's appear to be the strength. watching the mic'd up video of fitzgerald at lucas last week, i couldn't believe how big and strong our db's looked. 

i'm not sure we can't beat nebraska and mich st this year. don't understand all the nebraska hype. frost's first real class of recruits are true freshmen this year. i think we have a chance against everyone other than osu, mich, and penn st.

all that being said, and despite 4 decades of disappointment, i'm going all in with a 7-5 record. add to that a bowl win (please not the pinstripe bowl or whatever they call the one in detroit) and a heartwarming 8-5 season it is! why? because i deserve it, dammit

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The only thing I could think of would be playing a run heavy team like Maryland in the rain/wind.  We still have a solid run game, but it would hurt our passing game more than theirs.  Other than that, not sure.

first time i've ever seen "weather related problems" being cited as a reason a successful season might be derailed. 

On 8/25/2019 at 1:06 PM, coachv said:

how would you recommend division realignment?

I think it would be cool if divisions were realigned annually. Division Big and Division Ten. Snake the PY results giving Big 1,4,5,8,9,12,13 and Ten 2,3,6,7,10,11,14 from the PY. I'm sure it's a less than 1% chance of ever happening, but it would make the championship game more likely to avoid a mismatch.

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

I think it would be cool if divisions were realigned annually. Division Big and Division Ten. Snake the PY results giving Big 1,4,5,8,9,12,13 and Ten 2,3,6,7,10,11,14 from the PY. I'm sure it's a less than 1% chance of ever happening, but it would make the championship game more likely to avoid a mismatch.

more practical, i think, is to get rid of divisions altogether. the ncaa is changing their rules governing conference championship playoffs to allow for this. would really help indiana

On 8/29/2019 at 1:36 PM, coachv said:

one week's research in your free time leads you to believe we win 9 games, the greatest season in over 50 years?!? i want some of what you're having. but somewhere between 5 and 11 wins, right? 

First off it was 9 that I guessed.

And this week, that just happens to be where you chimed in...  I've felt IU was capable of turning the corner for 4 years now and that this might be the beginning of a culmination of factors .I've predicted less wins the past 2-3 years but look at the holes in the roster by the time game 1 rolled around in those respective seasons. 2015 was the last time I had it near 9 - and despite only a 6 win bowl year that season- if you know how to analyze sports it wasn't unrealistic then... It isn't unrealistic now either.

Before now I felt they partly got in their own way - along with some bad luck with things out of their hands. 

How about you explain what is so off about guessing 9.

You know.... since being specific and saying 9 is such ambiguity in there between 5 and 11. Lol  Apparently you found it humorous and thought it was a cue to try to be clever.

If you were to actually make the time and go back through my past posts here and also on HSN  2.0 (24/7 Indiana Sports) you'll see when I came to the conclusion that IU had a chance to be more than they've been in the past few decades worth of seasons.

Sure as HELL wasn't on my couch starting last week.. That's just when I made an attempt--post camp-  to compare this team and the 2015 team I had slotted for 9W's .

That is the last IU Football team I felt resembled what I think a "good bowl" team looks like.. Coach Allen did walk right in and turn almost the same defensive core around to a team strength in 2016.It missed aligning  the 2015 offense that led the B1G by one year..

By the way,

I read your post about the possibility of IU losing ..Very possible.I mean D1 is D1 right.Any given game...anyone....

Just remember that works both ways.Teams and their fans who have IU down as a win are subject to the same type of circumstances. If they can keep fighting through an opening day loss(as a countless many have) and still have the kind of season they state in their goals , so can Indiana....should they drop the game in Indy this weekend.

.Teams lose.It's how human beings are taught (or not)   to respond to adversity..That would be on the coach to push the right buttons.

5 hours ago, IUguy said:

Who knows. rain, wind, snow, anything that screws up the offense, or defense for that matter.

5 hours ago, IUguy said:

Who knows. rain, wind, snow, anything that screws up the offense, or defense for that matter.

which only affects indiana for some reason?

5 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

@coachv No hard feelings in how our interactions started off on my end and I hope none on your end at my replies..Im an old sports guy and get a little competitive by nature but .I read some of your posts and acutally  enjoy your perspective you have shared on the team.

no worries. hopefully we have the type of season that will keep us all smiling

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, jblaz13 said:

9-3    If this team embraces that identity it found at UM and has a bit of fortune with the health of it's top playmakers - they have the physical capabilities and team depth to sustain a higher level of play - if the mental focus is there.  Usually is mental when a team appears to play up or down to the level of their opponent the way IU has in most games for 4 years - with 2 different coaches and all kinds of unsettled positions and roles.. Now there are more faces able to compete and that raises the bottom line when higher level players are coming off the bench should IU have the same rough luck with injuries to stars. That depth and a tough identity are huge when football takes it's usual yearly toll on the player's bodies. IU's S&C staff are not the least of the reasons to be optimistic for Indiana no matter how overall team health works out  - to do no less than 5 wins -the lowest I would predict as likely this season.  ^ This above are far from alone as being reasons for thinking a real well defined breakout year could take place. 

10+ is the ceiling and 5 is probably the floor for wins on this year in acknowledgement of past reality. 6 to 9 just seems is most likely to me after all the research I've done on my free time this week. 9 is my guess though!

I think there are many people on our esteemed board that are gladly eating some crow.  @jblaz13 is not one of them. IIRC caught a lot of flack for his optimism.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think there are many people on our esteemed board that are gladly eating some crow.  @jblaz13 is not one of them. IIRC caught a lot of flack for his optimism.  

Quilty as charged!

Just fixed me up a batch of crow. In my life I have eaten many times, especially when it comes to Indiana football.

I am glad the team had a good year and I wish them good luck in their upcoming bowl game.

You know how to ruin a nicely cooked crow dinner? Baste it with Brooks Ketchup 😂!

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Can't hold anything against those who felt same o. Same o. Based on our history.

However, got to say that Jblaz13 and I had a great conversation over the phone. This past Sunday.  Let me just say. When it comes to IUFB and IUBB Jblaz is dialed in with relatives that have played for IU and, or are coaches in Indiana, with strong connections to IU.

Oh did I say that Jblaz is dialed in ?  And a terrific guy on top of that !

Archived