Top coaches in the big ten

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08/24/big-ten-basketball-ranking-14-head-coaches-2019-20-season/2/

This is the rankings of the coaches in the big ten and they have Archie at #5.  Thought I try to bring another thing to talk about on here when there is not much to talk about.  Maybe I have to go on another rant to get the activity on this board to pick up LOL!.

Ha. Ha.  Coach Miller, considering his relatively short time as a B1G HC, compared to others  and, despite the anxious fans here and other IU fan boards. Is ranked higher than Chambers, Pitino, Gard, and Underwood.  McCaffery, does rate a #7 spot in my book. Actually should be lower.  Hot head.   Just think where Coach Miller can ascend to before his contract ends. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08/24/big-ten-basketball-ranking-14-head-coaches-2019-20-season/2/

This is the rankings of the coaches in the big ten and they have Archie at #5.  Thought I try to bring another thing to talk about on here when there is not much to talk about.  Maybe I have to go on another rant to get the activity on this board to pick up LOL!.

As far as activity on the board goes.  I don't think it is you. Scott. You have been doing your part. And I thank you for that. 

Again, I suggest members to visit "The Animal House" during the summer. Tons of great talk in the house.

Having been a part of this great community, for well over a decade, I has seen traffic drop during the summer.  There are many great members who just take time off.  And that's not to say, nothing happens in the summer. As we have seen with two great commitments, recently.  As well as a new assistant coach being named to the staff, in the same week as our full schedule has been announced.

Keep doing what you are doing. It is appreciated.  And it won't be long before activity picks up again. Heck Hoosier Hysteria will be here before we know it. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If Painter is 2nd best in the Big 10.....Exhibit A on why it's been decades since our conferences last title. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Oh Jeez.  A thought.  Could the B1G have more bad coaches, than good ? 

I see a bunch in the middle...just average.  I don't think Collins, Piekel, Chambers, McCafferty, Gard, and Underwood are bad coaches.  I just don't think they are anything special at this point.  I have lots of questions about Howard at Michigan but don't know enough to pass judgment on him.  Other than Turgeon, I don't disagree that the others are probably top 5 in the league, although with the exception of Izzo, you could argue where they all rank.

...and yes, I still think little Pitino is a bad coach skating on his name..

55 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I see a bunch in the middle...just average.  I don't think Collins, Piekel, Chambers, McCafferty, Gard, and Underwood are bad coaches.  I just don't think they are anything special at this point.  I have lots of questions about Howard at Michigan but don't know enough to pass judgment on him.  Other than Turgeon, I don't disagree that the others are probably top 5 in the league, although with the exception of Izzo, you could argue where they all rank.

...and yes, I still think little Pitino is a bad coach skating on his name..

Good points. Mediocre at best.

59 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Absolutely. Underwood, Pitino, Collins, Fran, Pikiell, Howard (although it’s too early to tell so I’m guessing here), Gard, and Chambers aren’t anything special. 

Gulp. Gulp.  Hard for me to say it.  However,  your coach belongs at the top.  Maybe because the other B1G coaches leave a lot to be desired ?   IU fan speaking here of course. As much as we hated Keady in his day. I had to admit he knew his stuff. Not many coaches stay at their school for 25 years, if they are not getting something accomplished. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Until he retires, Izzo is on top.

Don’t like to admit it, especially as the program has had numerous black marks against it. 

Pork Chop is only #2 based on last year. He has done less with more over the last 5-6 years 

Who would be ahead of him if we go out more than last year? Only obvious choice is now the Cavs head coach.

Can you elaborate on the “done less with more” comment? Sure he had two first round exits 4 and 5 years ago but the last 3 he has 2 S16’s, an E8, and 2 conference titles. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Until he retires, Izzo is on top.

Don’t like to admit it, especially as the program has had numerous black marks against it. 

Pork Chop is only #2 based on last year. He has done less with more over the last 5-6 years 

What if Izzo coaches 10 more years and in those years Archie wins 10 conference championships, goes to 7 Final Fours, and wins 5 National Championships.  You still have Izzo on top?  :coffee:

Edit - I'll throw in 23-0 versus Purdue in for good measure.  

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Pork chop had his best opportunity several years ago. Couldn’t get to the Final Four with Hummel, et al. This past year he rode the coattails of one guy who played better than he had played throughout the season. 

If CAM sweeps Izzo over the next whatever years, then he becomes the Grand Poobah

Yeah it’s not like Carsen was capable/had shown flashes of playing like he did in the tournament before it began lol. The guy was a sophomore All-American lol.

Couldn’t get to the Final 4 because Hummel tore his ACL twice. 

Sorry but I think your take is way off. 

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Carson shot horribly throughout much of the B1G season. Somewhere in a thread long ago, I posted his stats. They weren’t pretty. He got hot at the right time and Painter took advantage.

There was more to the earlier teams than just Hummel. Painter had ample opportunity and didn’t take advantage 

Hummel was a pretty big part of it lol. You knew Carsen had it in him. Not like he wasn’t capable of it. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Who would be ahead of him if we go out more than last year? Only obvious choice is now the Cavs head coach.

Can you elaborate on the “done less with more” comment? Sure he had two first round exits 4 and 5 years ago but the last 3 he has 2 S16’s, an E8, and 2 conference titles. 

When I think of a coach who has done less with more. Jim Boehiem comes immediately to mind.  Honesty, I can't put Painter in the same category... seeing as how he has not recruited on the same talent level as coach B.  It's all about NC's.  On second thought.  Painter may be above Coach B.

By the way.  I loved Robbie.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

When I think of a coach who has done less with more. Jim Boehiem comes immediately to mind.  Honesty, I can't put Painter in the same category... seeing as how he has not recruited on the same talent level as coach B.  It's all about NC's.  On second thought.  Painter may be above Coach B.

By the way.  I loved Robbie.

Exactly! It’s not like Painter has lit it up on the recruiting trail overall. He’s been an average recruiter I’d say. 

Not a Boeheim fan, but he is a much more accomplished coach than Painter.  5 Final Fours compared to Zero.  Over 1,000 wins if you include those he had to vacate.  A basketball Hall of Famer versus not a HOFer. 

Painter is a better person, a better man.  But he is not anywhere remotely close to Boeheim as a successful  basketball coach.

Archived