Top coaches in the big ten

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not a Boeheim fan, but he is a much more accomplished coach than Painter.  5 Final Fours compared to Zero.  Over 1,000 wins if you include those he had to vacate.  A basketball Hall of Famer versus not a HOFer. 

Painter is a better person, a better man.  But he is not anywhere remotely close to Boeheim as a successful  basketball coach.

Curious why you say better person, a better man? Painter has plenty....plenty skeletons in that closet. 

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Curious why you say better person, a better man? Painter has plenty....plenty skeletons in that closet. 

Said it because I don't think Painter cheats at recruiting, at least not at the level that Syracuse does.    And, admittedly, the Bernie Fine thing played a part in my comment, even though I'm not really sure we know what happened there.

I've said this before, Painter is in a perfect spot for him. Like it or not, the Purdue admin will tolerate mediocrity in their sports programs...for a long time. If Pork Chop keeps being competitive in the B10 and every so often makes a Sweet 16 or Elite 8, he'll coach there as long as Keady did, if not longer.

If he'd make a Final 4, they'd rename West Lafayette to the Hamlet of Pork Chop

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've said this before, Painter is in a perfect spot for him. Like it or not, the Purdue admin will tolerate mediocrity in their sports programs...for a long time. If Pork Chop keeps being competitive in the B10 and every so often makes a Sweet 16 or Elite 8, he'll coach there as long as Keady did, if not longer.

If he'd make a Final 4, they'd rename West Lafayette to the Hamlet of Pork Chop

Before Mike Bobinski came on board, I’d agree with you. Burke was an average at best AD. Bobinski isn’t going to tolerate mediocrity. The athletic department has finally realized that investing big bucks into the programs is worth it. Took them long enough. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Before Mike Bobinski came on board, I’d agree with you. Burke was an average at best AD. Bobinski isn’t going to tolerate mediocrity. The athletic department has finally realized that investing big bucks into the programs is worth it. Took them long enough. 

They'd have to prove it to me. The Purdue culture has been that way well before Burke. Pretty much as long as I've been watching B10 sports (a long time).

There's a reason IU fans call Purdue "little brother." It seems that as long as Purdue can compete with IU head-to-head, that's all they're worried about. Finish middle of the pack or higher in football and basketball, and make a 2nd rate bowl or go to the NCAA tourney and make some noise occasionally, and their coaches can be secure in their jobs. That's how Keady and Tiller did it.

And I'm honestly not trying to be a wise-acre about this. Just seems to be the facts from where I sit.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

They'd have to prove it to me. The Purdue culture has been that way well before Burke. Pretty much as long as I've been watching B10 sports (a long time).

There's a reason IU fans call Purdue "little brother." It seems that as long as Purdue can compete with IU head-to-head, that's all they're worried about. Finish middle of the pack or higher in football and basketball, and make a 2nd rate bowl or go to the NCAA tourney and make some noise occasionally, and their coaches can be secure in their jobs. That's how Keady and Tiller did it.

And I'm honestly not trying to be a wise-acre about this. Just seems to be the facts from where I sit.

I would take what Purdue has done the last 3 years and say it is better than mediocre.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would take what Purdue has done the last 3 years and say it is better than mediocre.

Not the point, Scott. They've had good years. But their basketball coaches aren't held to nearly the standard that IU's are...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not the point, Scott. They've had good years. But their basketball coaches aren't held to nearly the standard that IU's are...

It depends on what you are talking about because I think when it comes to IU it is the fans that might hold that standard and not the athletic department.  If it was up to the fans Crean would have been fired 3 or 4 years earlier or Davis would have never been hired.  If you look at the athletic department they might not hold the standards you think they have.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It depends on what you are talking about because I think when it comes to IU it is the fans that might hold that standard and not the athletic department.  If it was up to the fans Crean would have been fired 3 or 4 years earlier or Davis would have never been hired.  If you look at the athletic department they might not hold the standards you think they have.

And yet it was the administration that fired CTC.

If Tom Cream had posted the records he did in his last 4 years at IU at Purdue, he'd still be the coach there.

It's like football at IU. Bill Mallory is considered the yardstick by which IU football coaches are measured.

He wouldn't have lasted 3 years at Alabama or Texas or any other blue-blood football school posting the records he did in Bloomington.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And the last 39?

Seriously. We can pinpoint his best 3 year run but I'll repeat and broken record myself.....after 7 years he went 2 missed tourneys and 2 first round exits. He would never be on the job at IU after that stretch....nor should he be. It's not an attack on Purdue or IU or fans or expectations or whatever else....he'd be fired at almost 98% (made up stat) of the schools in the country not named Nova or whichever schools were brought up this week. 

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

What does he have? I honestly haven’t heard anything about him. 

I don’t have a full ranking of coaches, but I’d imagine he’s in the top 5 of the conference. Edwards made him look good last year, but he’s had his share of injuries hurt his teams.  Combined with a clean program that isn’t horrible. 

Archived