Donaven McCulley Commits to Indiana

KDB

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Wonder who else will offer before all is said and done. As things stand now, I love Purdue’s chances with him. 

Hey Boiler,  is your 2020 fb class pretty much wrapped up?  Obviously any decommitt would change that, but has the staff moved on to 2021 now?

38 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Hey Boiler,  is your 2020 fb class pretty much wrapped up?  Obviously any decommitt would change that, but has the staff moved on to 2021 now?

Actually we still are after several guys. I could see them taking up to 25 guys. Still looking at DT, OL (could see one HS guy and one grad transfer), LB (possibly JUCO or grad transfer), and QB (especially with Sindelar possibly not coming back next year and with all the injuries this year it’ll likely be a 2-QB class. So probably another 4 or 5 commitments are possible. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Actually we still are after several guys. I could see them taking up to 25 guys. Still looking at DT, OL (could see one HS guy and one grad transfer), LB (possibly JUCO or grad transfer), and QB (especially with Sindelar possibly not coming back next year and with all the injuries this year it’ll likely be a 2-QB class. So probably another 4 or 5 commitments are possible. 

Isn't Sindelar a senior?

• 4 months later...

McCulley in 2021, and Brady Allen in 2022.  Two big time QB prospects not far from IU’s campus and both have been positive about IU.  The timing is really good for an opening as the next “franchise QB” at IU based on separation of age between them and Penix and Tuttle.  It will be very interesting to see if IU can land one or both of them.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

McCulley in 2021, and Brady Allen in 2022.  Two big time QB prospects not far from IU’s campus and both have been positive about IU.  The timing is really good for an opening as the next “franchise QB” at IU based on separation of age between them and Penix and Tuttle.  It will be very interesting to see if IU can land one or both of them.  

I think especially for Allen.  Come in with Penix and Tuttle as seniors, redshirt as a freshman, and have the chance to battle with Williams to start as a RS freshman.  Same idea for McCulley, but as a RS sophomore, so still really good timing for him too.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Can I assume that they don’t go to the same school? Seems like being only one year apart they’d want to have a shot to start in year one or two. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if IU got one and Purdue got the other. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Can I assume that they don’t go to the same school? Seems like being only one year apart they’d want to have a shot to start in year one or two. 

Good question.  I really don’t know.  But I will say competition at major schools is just reality.  After all, there is only one QB playing at a time, so there are only so many starting spots to go around for even four star type quarterback prospects like these guys.  The result is that you often see a couple or more pretty big prospects per big school.  

If they were in the same class, I’d say no way would they go together.  But they are a year apart, and it’s not like they can avoid competition at other schools.  Look no further than IU where we have a couple of big prospects in Penix and Tuttle.  Competition among top qb’s at major schools is just a fact of life.  It’s the nature of the beast.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Touché haha. Will be interesting to see where the rest of the in-state guys end up going. Who are you feeling confident with? 

No idea.  I don't have any info on any of the guys we're recruiting.  We took a ton of OL this year, so I would guess that won't be a big focus.  I think we'll put a big emphasis on defense.  We also could use some TE depth with the uncertainty around Hendershot and losing our incoming TE (grades I think?).  I'm guessing we'll have a really good shot at getting Steinfeldt at TE?  Otherwise, I don't know on anybody.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KDB said:

Top Five: Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Ole Miss, Missouri.

Honestly why wouldn't some of these local kids just take a look at IU or Purdue. Tired of some of these qb's who headed for the hills over the last 6-7 years only to transfer around the country time after time. Brohm has shown what he can do and obviously we know IU's offense is consistently up there every year. Timing works out well for us with Penix too. 

• Like 2