Donaven McCulley Commits to Indiana

KDB

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Honestly why wouldn't some of these local kids just take a look at IU or Purdue. Tired of some of these qb's who headed for the hills over the last 6-7 years only to transfer around the country time after time. Brohm has shown what he can do and obviously we know IU's offense is consistently up there every year. Timing works out well for us with Penix too. 

Plus IU and Purdue are superior academically to those other schools on the list. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Honestly why wouldn't some of these local kids just take a look at IU or Purdue. Tired of some of these qb's who headed for the hills over the last 6-7 years only to transfer around the country time after time. Brohm has shown what he can do and obviously we know IU's offense is consistently up there every year. Timing works out well for us with Penix too. 

Purdue is the one that really baffles me when it comes to in-state HS QB's.  I mean look at the number of signal callers the Boilers have put in the NFL.  And not only put them there but went on to be bona fide starters.  Even me as an IU fan can't ignore this.  Actually it is pretty damn impressive.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rico said:

Purdue is the one that really baffles me when it comes to in-state HS QB's.  I mean look at the number of signal callers the Boilers have put in the NFL.  And not only put them there but went on to be bona fide starters.  Even me as an IU fan can't ignore this.  Actually it is pretty damn impressive.

Never had a problem with Purdue football one bit. The number of QB's (as you've mentioned) they've put in the pros is up there historically. Just won't understand some of these in state QB's not taking a look at them or us. Trying to remember the future stud down near Evansville (I think Gibson school or something)....he's the next in state great.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rico said:

I think the question is how often have there been big-time in-state QB’s in the last 10 years or so that Purdue heavily pursued who chose to go elsewhere? Hunter Johnson of course is one. We got Etling awhile ago but have there been a lot of big-time QB’s from the state recently? Sindelar was from KY and Blough from TX but I’m not sure if there were guys in-state who we wanted as well. 

23 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think the question is how often have there been big-time in-state QB’s in the last 10 years or so that Purdue heavily pursued who chose to go elsewhere? Hunter Johnson of course is one. We got Etling awhile ago but have there been a lot of big-time QB’s from the state recently? Sindelar was from KY and Blough from TX but I’m not sure if there were guys in-state who we wanted as well. 

Good question and one I don't have the answer to.

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Gunner Kiel? I think you guys were the only school in the state they didn't commit to lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Tommy Steven's? Brandon Peter's? 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Never had a problem with Purdue football one bit. The number of QB's (as you've mentioned) they've put in the pros is up there historically. Just won't understand some of these in state QB's not taking a look at them or us. Trying to remember the future stud down near Evansville (I think Gibson school or something)....he's the next in state great.

Gibson southern. Brady Allen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

In these kids lifetime... Painter is the QB drafted from Purude. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I posted about it in another thread a few weeks ago.  These are the QBs who were in the top 1000 on 247 in the last 10 years.

Johnson, Stevens, Peters, Etling, Kiel, and Roberson all transferred.  Aidan Smith for Northwestern is the only one who didn't.

Also, it was really interesting looking back at where Indiana kids went to college.  There was a long stretch in there when hardly any top 10 guys in the state went to IU or Purdue.  Mostly Purdue though.  I didn't realize you guys had been so bad recruiting the state the last 10 years.  Yikes!  Most of the guys we got were in the 7-10 range, but that has definitely been going up.

2010 - IU = 0, PU = 3

2011 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2012 - IU = 2, PU = 1

2013 - IU = 3, PU = 1

2014 - IU = 1, PU = 0

2015 - IU = 1, PU = 0

2016 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2017 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2018 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2019 - IU = 3, PU = 2 (combined for the entire top 5)

2020 - IU = 3, PU = 1

2021 - IU = 2, PU = 1

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the name. Is he as good as advertised or what I'm hearing up here in Indy?

I haven't seen him, just going off rankings which is obviously an inexact science.  Hopefully somebody has first hand accounts.

Right now 247 has him listed as the 15th best QB in the 2022 class.  For reference, Tuttle was the 11th best and Penix was the 66th best (lol) QB in the 2018 class.  McCulley is 29th in the 2021 rankings.

Edited by Leathernecks
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the name. Is he as good as advertised or what I'm hearing up here in Indy?

He's good. His schedule his FR year wasnt good. They're improving it though. 

He plays for a very good HS coach. I havent seen him in person just on film 3 or 4 times. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I posted about it in another thread a few weeks ago.  These are the QBs who were in the top 1000 on 247 in the last 10 years.

Johnson, Stevens, Peters, Etling, Kiel, and Roberson all transferred.  Aidan Smith for Northwestern is the only one who didn't.

Also, it was really interesting looking back at where Indiana kids went to college.  There was a long stretch in there when hardly any top 10 guys in the state went to IU or Purdue.  Mostly Purdue though.  I didn't realize you guys had been so bad recruiting the state the last 10 years.  Yikes!  Most of the guys we got were in the 7-10 range, but that has definitely been going up.

2010 - IU = 0, PU = 3

2011 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2012 - IU = 2, PU = 1

2013 - IU = 3, PU = 1

2014 - IU = 1, PU = 0

2015 - IU = 1, PU = 0

2016 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2017 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2018 - IU = 2, PU = 0

2019 - IU = 3, PU = 2 (combined for the entire top 5)

2020 - IU = 3, PU = 1

2021 - IU = 2, PU = 1

I think that boils down to 2 main reasons. First, Hope didn’t really spend as much time recruiting Indiana as he should’ve. He focused a lot more on Florida and the South and didn’t spend a lot of time recruiting in-state. Second, Hazell was just an awful recruiter in general. I could’ve done better than him lol. Thankfully Brohm doesn’t ignore the state. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I saw PU picked up a 4* ATH from Illinois they plan on putting at QB.  Does this help our chances with McCulley or does it have no impact?  

Would def think it helps you guys. Unless we’re planning on taking 2 QB’s. Would think this would pave the way for McCulley to IU. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

16 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

We also got 2 crystal ball picks this morning. Wiltfong (confidence of 8), and Trieu (confidence of 7).  Things appear to be looking really good here.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Donaven-McCulley-at-Lawrence-North-221003/CurrentExpertPredictions/

I wonder if it was Brohm not wanting to wait it out or that he heard McCulley was leaning IU. Either way it sounds like we both are going to land a good QB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

We also got 2 crystal ball picks this morning. Wiltfong (confidence of 8), and Trieu (confidence of 7).  Things appear to be looking really good here.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Donaven-McCulley-at-Lawrence-North-221003/CurrentExpertPredictions/

This would be a great situation. Comes in. Hit the weights, learn how to study film, learn from staff/Penix and off and running when it's his turn. Hopefully we can land him. About time we start seeing some of the states better QB's stay local. 

• Like 1