Donaven McCulley Commits to Indiana

KDB

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We really have been. Just have to continue it. 

I know we have but I am talking about even getting the players who we lose to OSU and UM.  We need to mainly have 3 star players with some 4 stars mixed in.  We even need to pull an in state player who might be a 5 star player which we usually don't get.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know we have but I am talking about even getting the players who we lose to OSU and UM.  We need to mainly have 3 star players with some 4 stars mixed in.  We even need to pull an in state player who might be a 5 star player which we usually don't get.

Right. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That’s always been a struggle for both IU and Purdue. Keeping the best of the best away from ND/OSU/UM etc...

• Like 1

Some random tidbits: 

-whats this do to Jackson and Allen in 22? 

-McCulley plays like a skinny Cam Newton. Very effortless. Flicks the ball, doesn't look like a regular throw. (Observation, not a bad thing)

-He hangs in the pocket way too long. His HS coach admitted that they have to fix that, but his OL is avg at best and DM is trying to make plays. Not uncommon. 

-Played on a top 2 basketball team this winter and will be on a top 10 team this year. 

I'll add more later. 

• Like 1

Couldn't wait.. 

Sheridan was a GA or QB coach at UT when Debord was there. They had Josh Dobbs then. I will admit I was wrong about hiring Debord to begin with BUT UT had some good offenses with Dobbs. 

Lots of bubbles, tunnel screens, quick hitches, and RB swing passes. PLUS.. they could show any number of those and still run a QB counter back the other way, so the quick pass was used to set up the run game. I'm envisioning an offense like this for McCulley. 

In all the interviews McCulley mentions how good of a relationship he has with Sheridan. I fully believe Sheridan sold him on the idea of playing as a SO and showed him how he can show his skills the way Dobbs did. 

Get athletes in space. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know that LN coach played and graduated from IU.  He was also the HC at my old high school Knightstown and he is a very good coach.  Hopefully that we will be in good shape for most of the top players at LN since their coach is an IU alumni.

He had them very close a lot last year. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Couldn't wait.. 

Sheridan was a GA or QB coach at UT when Debord was there. They had Josh Dobbs then. I will admit I was wrong about hiring Debord to begin with BUT UT had some good offenses with Dobbs. 

Lots of bubbles, tunnel screens, quick hitches, and RB swing passes. PLUS.. they could show any number of those and still run a QB counter back the other way, so the quick pass was used to set up the run game. I'm envisioning an offense like this for McCulley. 

In all the interviews McCulley mentions how good of a relationship he has with Sheridan. I fully believe Sheridan sold him on the idea of playing as a SO and showed him how he can show his skills the way Dobbs did. 

Get athletes in space. 

Agree all day. That's like the burner we signed earlier this spring too. Get kids like that on field, give them space and let nature take it's course. Couldn't be more excited for where we are and the direction headed for IU Football right now.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Great pickup and he is the type of recruit we have to keep in state.  For us to get to the next level we have to be able to land some of the top in state recruits.

Scott. Love ya to death. And if this was basketball were are talking about. Could not agree with locking up the state more. However.  This is IU football we are talking about. And. IMHO.  We've got to prospect and poach three other states.  Ohio. Florida. And Texas. 

Edited by milehiiu

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Some random tidbits: 

-whats this do to Jackson and Allen in 22? 

-McCulley plays like a skinny Cam Newton. Very effortless. Flicks the ball, doesn't look like a regular throw. (Observation, not a bad thing)

-He hangs in the pocket way too long. His HS coach admitted that they have to fix that, but his OL is avg at best and DM is trying to make plays. Not uncommon. 

-Played on a top 2 basketball team this winter and will be on a top 10 team this year. 

I'll add more later. 

I had a Cam Newton reference because that’s what I saw too.  I took it out because I thought I’d get grief for it, but we see the same thing.  

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Scott. Love ya to death. And if this was basketball were are talking about. Could not agree with locking up the state more. However.  This is IU football we are talking about. And. IMHO.  We've got to prospect and poach three other states.  Ohio. Florida. And Texas. 

I agree with that and that is what we have been doing.  What I am talking about are getting the kids from the state that would be in the ESPN 300.  For us to go up a level and compete we have to get more than just ,3 stay put of state players.  If we can't keep the highly ranked in state players there is no way getting the highly ranked out of state players.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Everyone has to do that though unless you're in Cali. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

There are very few highlight videos that excite. Not even Zeller, TJD... Romeo did, but veryyy few. This highlight film from DM is big time. Kid has an absolute cannon. I want his buddy thats a WR and a year younger, as well. 

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Omar-Cooper-133457/RecruitInterests/

Omar Cooper #287 overall

I really enjoyed watching Cooper's highlights just to see McCulley on plays that weren't his highlights. Really impressed. 

• Like 1