Donaven McCulley Commits to Indiana

KDB

35 minutes ago, Sark said:

The biggest knock, if you want to call it that, is that he has a decent but not great arm. It’s not bad at all but if he had more velocity he’d be even more heavily recruited by the major schools. With some development he should be a very solid big 10 player.

I'm sure he's spent some time in the weightroom, but multiple sport athletes can be a little behind on adding muscle and weight because even in the off season hes playing school ball and I'm sure AAU at times. 

Next summer I bet he puts on 10-12lbs. 

He'll be 6'5 215lbs as a TR FR, 220lbs by a RS FR

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

DMs been very active on Twitter here recently. 

Retweeting/tweeting at other recruits to commit/congrats on committing to IU. 

When a top 300 player, that's a QB, does that... that has to be something recruits take note of. 

Can’t understate how important that is IMO. Hoping for the same thing for us with the ‘22 class with Allen being committed so early. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can’t understate how important that is IMO. Hoping for the same thing for us with the ‘22 class with Allen being committed so early. 

If Allen can do that for PU in southern Indiana and McCulley/Sales do it in Indy/Northern Indiana then I’ll take it.

51 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

If Allen can do that for PU in southern Indiana and McCulley/Sales do it in Indy/Northern Indiana then I’ll take it.

My hope is he can have an impact on the class like Karlaftis did a few years ago. Be the main recruiter for the rest of the class regardless of where they are. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My hope is he can have an impact on the class like Karlaftis did a few years ago. Be the main recruiter for the rest of the class regardless of where they are. 

I was referring to the talent disparity between southern Indiana and Indy/northern Indiana. 
I completely understand what you mean otherwise. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, btownqb said:

😳😳😳😳

Screenshot_20200821-213554_Twitter.jpg

I saw that he had a couple of 60+ yard TD passes. Does he have a downhill arm or are those from short passes with a ton of yards after the catch. In either case I’m really glad we landed him. Allen is doing a great job landing some of  the better Indiana players with a mix of the southern pipeline 

8 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I saw that he had a couple of 60+ yard TD passes. Does he have a downhill arm or are those from short passes with a ton of yards after the catch. In either case I’m really glad we landed him. Allen is doing a great job landing some of  the better Indiana players with a mix of the southern pipeline 

One was a quick, one was a bomb.  

I'm pretty sure he has 3 passes that went for over 60 yards last night.  

One thing..  YAC is a QBs best friend.  Get it to the WR/TE/RB quick and in the right location and go let that athlete be an athlete in space.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

One was a quick, one was a bomb.  

I'm pretty sure he has 3 passes that went for over 60 yards last night.  

One thing..  YAC is a QBs best friend.  Get it to the WR/TE/RB quick and in the right location and go let that athlete be an athlete in space.  

Thanks for the reply.

YAC are a beautiful thing and largely made possible by a talented QB that can, as you stated,  get it there at the right time and in the right place, but it also good to hear that he can get it downhill (like to keep the defense honest)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Thanks for the reply.

YAC are a beautiful thing and largely made possible by a talented QB that can, as you stated,  get it there at the right time and in the right place, but it also good to hear that he can get it downhill (like to keep the defense honest)

100%. Felt like half my passing yards came from a shovel pass with counter blocking it was great 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

😳😳😳😳

Screenshot_20200821-213554_Twitter.jpg

Cooper sounds good too. I know we are on him.  Hopefully DM helps reel him in.  

I liked how Wilson tried to recruit but I remember him saying in-state kids didn’t find it fashionable to go to IU.  I think we are making $@#& good progress in that regard.  I still see too many guys who go out of state and fall into a black hole when they might have had a better chance at IU.  But it’s getting better.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-iu-class-of-2021-quarterback-commit-donaven-mcculley-has-explosive-start-to-senior-season/

Watch the throw at 44 mins... thats 50 yards in the air on a rope. Theres no lack of arm strength. Then the next play he gets 30 like its easy... didn't slide, spun and wanted some contact. I cannot stand when HS kids slide. This kid can play. He basically put these numbers up in 3qs. 

That throw was also from the opposite hash in HS (HS hashes are wider) to the numbers on the far side... so actually a little longer than 50 yards. I've seen few kids with that arm strength... Sudfeld had a throw like that to Cobbs at Purdue that I still remember... 

I watched every Off drive of that game for LN.. Donaven is not a dual threat QB (I hate that term) he is a QB with ELITE athleticism. He has a big time arm with excellent touch, he's decisive, he's quick and he has to be 4.6 or below in the 40. His ball location was perfect on every throw but the long one to Cooper, but Cooper was so open on that play it was probably smarter to simply just stick him with that throw and let Omar do the rest. I knew I'd watch this film and be impressed but my god... this kid can flat out play. 

Now... theres a MILE of difference between being comfortable in a HS game when everything is going right and doing it at OSU with 100,000 fan yelling at you, I get it. Shew. I'm pumped. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-iu-class-of-2021-quarterback-commit-donaven-mcculley-has-explosive-start-to-senior-season/

Watch the throw at 44 secs.... thats 50 yards in the air on a rope. Theres no lack of arm strength. Then the next play he gets 30 like its easy... didn't slide, spun and wanted some contact. I cannot stand when HS kids slide. This kid can play. He basically put these numbers up in 3qs. 

That throw was also from the opposite hash in HS (HS hashes are wider) to the numbers on the far side... so actually a little longer than 50 yards. I've seen few kids with that arm strength... Sudfeld had a throw like that to Cobbs at Purdue that I still remember... 

I watched every Off drive of that game for LN.. Donaven is not a dual threat QB (I hate that term) he is a QB with ELITE athleticism. He has a big time arm with excellent touch, he's decisive, he's quick and he has to be 4.6 or below in the 40. His ball location was perfect on every throw but the long one to Cooper, but Cooper was so open on that play it was probably smarter to simply just stick him with that throw and let Omar do the rest. I knew I'd watch this film and be impressed but my god... this kid can flat out play. 

Now... theres a MILE of difference between being comfortable in a HS game when everything is going right and doing it at OSU with 100,000 fan yelling at you, I get it. Shew. I'm pumped. 

He’s a stud no doubt. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He’s a stud no doubt. 

I was shocked how impressed I was. That doesnt happen often with me. I understand it was one game. He should have been 10-13 for 340 and 5 TDs. That throw I was mentioning earlier was flat out dropped.. should have been a 90 yard TD. 

• Like 1