Penix it is

I think Penix is the right choice.  Living here in FL, just North of Tampa, I can tell you the locals here expect big things out of Penix.  He was named Tampa region player of the year in high school and that is quite an accomplishment given the talent pool in this area.  So glad Florida State chose to change coaches the year MP was expected to sign with them.  Go Hoosiers !!!

Ramsey ain't leaving. He's a coach's son and a bright kid who knows his future isn't in the NFL. He'll be ready if called on, and he'll give 100% if he sees the field. He's probably also helping Penix and Tuttle in learning the play book.

But make no mistake, he'll gladly step in if they falter.

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ramsey ain't leaving. He's a coach's son and a bright kid who knows his future isn't in the NFL. He'll be ready if called on, and he'll give 100% if he sees the field. He's probably also helping Penix and Tuttle in learning the play book.

Injuries happen. And unfortunately are part of the game. Is why we don't know that much about Penix. Injuries  even shut down careers. Look at Luck.  So.  Ramsey needs to be ready.  His career is not over.  Just needs to keep his head in the game. 

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

they shall not falter

12 hours ago, KDB said:

This series is absolutely amazing.  The writer sets the table then avoids getting in their own way.  Sometimes all it takes to write a good article is just find something people would be interested in then allow the human subjects' quotes drive the pieces when it is about them.

I not only appreciate the share, but also recommend reading the rest of it.   

Pts 1 and 3 go into how Allen is gaining a really strong foothold in the state, and how the coaches in Florida are increasingly viewing IU- as well as how players there are coming to see Indiana as standing out thanks to Allen's approach and the way he put his staff together to pull in one direction.  Raekwon Jones and his family dealing with being so far apart during Hurricane Michael. So it also ties together well as series in more of a football way in the context of coaching and both the offensive and defensive leader on this team. And not to mention the author's own story. It is an all around gem so far.

I'm already looking forward to part 4 tomorrow, actually.

Well, I like Ramsey.  He is at least dependable, and he doesn't turn the ball over.  Penix deserves a shot, and as long as he doesn't become an interception machine he may work out.  Not sure about the new guy, but i would hate to see Ramsey relegated to third string.

I think Penix threw only 6 interceptions (total) in High School.  Granted, he is about to face a Big Ten schedule but 6 picks total against some very good competition in the Tampa Area . . . certainly gives me confidence he will not become an interception machine.  

On 8/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, Leathernecks said:

I almost forget that Penix still has 4 years to play here.  It seems like forever ago when we were recruiting him, and I remember at the time hearing about how we sent all our coaches down there on a visit.

If he stays for 4 years and doesn't get hurt very much, he could shatter records here.

The personal performance records aside...I am more concerned about the W-L aspects.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, KDB said:

Thanks for the link. The four part series is an excellent read and really adds optimism in regards to the direction of the program. I hope my 5-7 prediction for this season ends up looking stupid.......

3 hours ago, rico said:

The personal performance records aside...I am more concerned about the W-L aspects.

Before I posted that I actually tried to look up who the winningest QB in our history is.  I couldn't find anything, but that was one of the records I was thinking about.  Anybody know who it would be and how many wins they had?

57 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Before I posted that I actually tried to look up who the winningest QB in our history is.  I couldn't find anything, but that was one of the records I was thinking about.  Anybody know who it would be and how many wins they had?

Really don't know but my gut tells me it is between Dave Schnell and Trent Green.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Really don't know but my gut tells me it is between Dave Schnell and Trent Green.

Looks like 1945, 47, 89, and 90 are tied for the most wins in a 4 year span for the program (27). So it looks like it probably was Schnell or someone from 45 or 47 that I can't find reliable stats for. 

26 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Looks like 1945, 47, 89, and 90 are tied for the most wins in a 4 year span for the program (27). So it looks like it probably was Schnell or someone from 45 or 47 that I can't find reliable stats for. 

I tried looking up that stuff up from the mid 40's to no avail.  However in those days I don't think there was a set QB.  The snap could go to anyone in the back field.  

It looks like we only won 18 games during Green's 3 seasons he actually played.  He only threw 10 passes as a freshman, so I didn't count that.  His sophomore year he only threw 128 passes, so I don't know if he started many of those games, and his senior year he only played in 10 games.

I think Penix could eclipse 18 wins by the end of his 3rd season.

Archived