Fantasy Football 2019 - shared tips?

A couple of other tips i thought that I'd share. I always take defense and kickers last in the draft for this very reason, but those positions get a lot of points for me because everybody else (at least in my leagues) ignores them in the regular season. 

Filter 'All Players' by season total, position and sort by points. Usually there are a couple of top 10 defenses and kickers just sitting there in FA. Yes, play the match up with defenses, but look to see who is available every week after the waiver wire....especially after byes because many don't leave defenses (even if they are good) on the bench. I've always picked up/stole quality defenses half way through the season.

AND KICKERS. I grabbed Bullock (who was tied for second in points) last week and he score 17 points for me this week. He's the number one rated kicker right now and is owned in 15% of leagues. Carlson with the Raiders is 3rd right now and he's made 12 field goals (12!!!); He's owned in 13% of leagues!!!!

I'm not a huge proponent of chasing points unless it's with kickers. A high number of field goals means in many cases that a team has a somewhat productive offense, but are below average in the red zone. This tends to be a trend more than a fluke. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2020 at 2:10 PM, 5fouls said:

OK, so which would be a worse move as a Fantasy Manager?

• Pick up a kicker to play in place of Butker for this week, the Chiefs end up playing, Butker outscores the kicker you picked up by 6 points, and you lose by 5.

OR

• Keep Butker in, the game gets officially cancelled on Tuesday morning, resulting in you getting 0 points from the kicker position, the guy you would have picked up scores 6, and you lose by 5.

One of those two things is going to happen.  Just want to minimize the stupidity factor.

Picked up a kicker to play in place of Butker just in case.  That kicker scored 5.  Butker scored 8.  Lost by 2.5 points.

Thank you very much.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Picked up a kicker to play in place of Butker just in case.  That kicker scored 5.  Butker scored 8.  Lost by 2.5 points.

Thank you very much.

Darn, darn, darn......those are the one's that just sting. Won 1 and lost 1 this week for me....and lost 1st place tonight in my weekly Fanduel contest because of Tonyan. I also made the genius move to bench Gibson thinking the Ravens D would hold him and benched Chark for Jeff Wilson. 

4 weeks in and I'm still grasping. Just need to get healthy. Thomas and Godwin would cover up plenty of these mistakes I'm making.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Playing Arizona's Def over K.C.'s cost me my game.

Did that one too! Problem or good thing is they have Jets this week....but Cardinals D isn't doing what I thought they would. Might try and snag Patriots this week because of home game with Denver.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Did that one too! Problem or good thing is they have Jets this week....but Cardinals D isn't doing what I thought they would. Might try and snag Patriots this week because of home game with Denver.

I picked up the Arizona defense as well, and will keep them this week due to their opponent. When I got them last week, did not realize how banged up they are.

On another note, with Chubb on IR and Fournette an uncertainty, I am left with Carson and Gaskins as my only two healthy running backs. I have place waiver claims on Johnson from Cleveland, and L Bell who is coming off IR for the Jets. Given that the rest of the NY team is a train wreck, not sure what I'll do if I get Bell, but I gotta have some healthy bodies.

BTW, I am now 3-1 and lead my league. Was forecast to lose this past week by 11 and ended up winning by 16.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I picked up the Arizona defense as well, and will keep them this week due to their opponent. When I got them last week, did not realize how banged up they are.

On another note, with Chubb on IR and Fournette an uncertainty, I am left with Carson and Gaskins as my only two healthy running backs. I have place waiver claims on Johnson from Cleveland, and L Bell who is coming off IR for the Jets. Given that the rest of the NY team is a train wreck, not sure what I'll do if I get Bell, but I gotta have some healthy bodies.

BTW, I am now 3-1 and lead my league. Was forecast to lose this past week by 11 and ended up winning by 16.

If still available Damien Harris looks good although most leagues have had someone stashing him. Justin Jackson because Kelley likes to fumble. 

Another round of positives this morning. Tennessee is in trouble....cancel or forfeit might be only options on table. TN/Buffalo, Denver at New England, and now...Raiders/Chiefs are in danger of being postponed. I'd make you have a roster to avoid all these games if possible.

How in the hell do you navigate this?

Do I play Michael Thomas and hope that the hurricane doesn’t cancel the game?

Do I play my Bills players and hope that the league doesn’t shut down the Titans?

Do I pick up another quarterback if Josh Allen’s game is canceled and Stafford is on bye?

Who do I put in to replace Chubb? Fournette is iffy. L Bell may come back, but to a broken team. Gaskins is a flyer at best.

Fantasy football is not supposed to be this hard 🤓

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

How in the hell do you navigate this?

Do I play Michael Thomas and hope that the hurricane doesn’t cancel the game?

Do I play my Bills players and hope that the league doesn’t shut down the Titans?

Do I pick up another quarterback if Josh Allen’s game is canceled and Stafford is on bye?

Who do I put in to replace Chubb? Fournette is iffy. L Bell may come back, but to a broken team. Gaskins is a flyer at best.

Fantasy football is not supposed to be this hard 🤓

I'm fairly comfortable the New Orleans game will be moved to Indy if the hurricane is an issue.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If the New Orleans game would actually get cancelled, and the Titans/Bills don't play because of Covid, I will not be able to field a team without roster moves.  I can put a team on the field if it is either/or, but not both.

Yep. 2020 fantasy football. Get used to it. You might just have to drop a guy or three you don't want to drop but that's the way we roll this year. 

For the sake of conversation though...besides Thomas....are you saying you have Tannehill/Allen/Brees..., Kamara or Murray or both....and Thomas/Sanders/Smith and Cook/Smith on TE? All very challenging for sure just curious how 2 games would impact 15 roster spots.

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. 2020 fantasy football. Get used to it. You might just have to drop a guy or three you don't want to drop but that's the way we roll this year. 

For the sake of conversation though...besides Thomas....are you saying you have Tannehill/Allen/Brees..., Kamara or Murray or both....and Thomas/Sanders/Smith and Cook/Smith on TE? All very challenging for sure just curious how 2 games would impact 15 roster spots.

Nick Chubb & Leonard Fournette injured

Aaron Rodgers and Kenny Golladay on Bye

John Brown and the Bills Defense

Michael Thomas

Joshua Kelley

My issue is finding someone for flex.  My current flex options are Joshua Kelley and Tee Higgins.  If New Orleans does not play, without Brown or Golladay, I have to move Higgins to WR.  That only leave Kelley for flex.  But, if New Orleans is postponed, so is San Diego.  

Flipped Gurley for CeeDee Lamb and Fant.  Then flipped Lamb for Dionte Johnson in Pittsburgh.  Cowboys due to slow down in terms of passing over next four weeks. Current RBs are Josh Robinson(Jags, low end RB1/high end RB2), McKinnon(Flex worthy once Mostert returns) and Bell(low end RB2 when he returns).  WRs are Davante Adams(WR1), Golladay(WR2 #'s after getting healthy), Dionte Johnson(WR2 #'s) and Crowder(WR3 #'s due to PPR) as my top four WRs.  I could flip Russell Wilson for maybe Chris Carson(RB1) and use Big Ben as my QB for remainder of year or flip Adams for Carson straight up.  I am 1-3, Adams and Golladay missed alot of time which is why I'm 1-3 and my previous tight ends before getting Fant were Jarwin(torn ACL) and Lance Thomas.  Now I have Ebron till Fant returns so safe to say my team was destroyed by the injury bug

Should I try and flip Russ for Adams for a top RB or ride out with what I have?

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Flipped Gurley for CeeDee Lamb and Fant.  Then flipped Lamb for Dionte Johnson in Pittsburgh.  Cowboys due to slow down in terms of passing over next four weeks. Current RBs are Josh Robinson(Jags, low end RB1/high end RB2), McKinnon(Flex worthy once Mostert returns) and Bell(low end RB2 when he returns).  WRs are Davante Adams(WR1), Golladay(WR2 #'s after getting healthy), Dionte Johnson(WR2 #'s) and Crowder(WR3 #'s due to PPR) as my top four WRs.  I could flip Russell Wilson for maybe Chris Carson(RB1) and use Big Ben as my QB for remainder of year or flip Adams for Carson straight up.  I am 1-3, Adams and Golladay missed alot of time which is why I'm 1-3 and my previous tight ends before getting Fant were Jarwin(torn ACL) and Lance Thomas.  Now I have Ebron till Fant returns so safe to say my team was destroyed by the injury bug

Should I try and flip Russ for Adams for a top RB or ride out with what I have?

Don't say that! Dak is pretty much the only reason I'm winning. They have the perfect combination for huge QB points though, horrible defense and are always playing from behind. 

tenor (2).gif

All I'll say this week is good luck to all! I've got backup plans for Melvin Gordon if Pats/Broncos game doesn't happen. Not touching Titans/Bills after Titans shut things down this morning again. Not to mention having to wait until Monday night to find out if Michael Thomas is playing or not. Haha.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Have John Brown to plug in if Michael Thomas does not play.  If Bills game get cancelled after that?  Screwed.

I've officially handcuffed my first wr in all leagues. Have Trequan Smith who did quite well last week in Thomas role. Just a thought for anyone waiting for MT to return.

Archived