Fantasy Football 2019 - shared tips?

1 hour ago, rico said:

How is your draft set up?  As far as 1st pick to last pick and then how does the 2nd round go?

If you got the #1 you get the last in the 2nd.  Last pick in first gets 1st in 2nd.  

I picked 8th or 9th with Amari Cooper, don't think I'll keep him.  Then Kelce but I got Mark Andrews 13th round.  He's my no brainer keeper.  That was lucking into gold.  Have Josh Jacobs, Kenyan Drake, and Davante Admas to consider.  Need to look at where I drafted these guys. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If you got the #1 you get the last in the 2nd.  Last pick in first gets 1st in 2nd.  

I picked 8th or 9th with Amari Cooper, don't think I'll keep him.  Then Kelce but I got Mark Andrews 13th round.  He's my no brainer keeper.  That was lucking into gold.  Have Josh Jacobs, Kenyan Drake, and Davante Admas to consider.  Need to look at where I drafted these guys. 

So does the guy that finished last this year...get the over-all #1 next season?

On 12/24/2019 at 7:18 AM, Seeking6 said:

Team looks positioned for long term success. Only area of concern is WR...but if AJ Green signs with Seattle or Green Bay this off season you'll really have hit the jackpot.

I have a few other young WR I didn't list.  N'keal Harry, John Ross, Perriman, Greg Ward.  Hopefully one of them can hit, along with Moore and Golladay who were both top 12 WR in our league.  AJ Brown really came on big at the end of the year as a rookie.  He could be a steal.

And yes, if Green signs in one of those places, that will be an absolute jackpot for next year.  Pretty much anywhere except the Bengals and I'll be happy!

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, what’s up with doing fantasy drafts now?

Some people have dynasty, keeper leagues,etc....so plenty more in depth leagues are active right after NFL draft but before camp starts. I'm not involved in those leagues but I do know some that draft that portion now.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Some people have dynasty, keeper leagues,etc....so plenty more in depth leagues are active right after NFL draft but before camp starts. I'm not involved in those leagues but I do know some that draft that portion now.

Yes, that is a league that I am in. We are a dynasty keeper league a group of 10 buddies that take it pretty serious lol. We usually always do a role draft right after the draft as you stated. It definitely helps in times like covid lol

10 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Yes, that is a league that I am in. We are a dynasty keeper league a group of 10 buddies that take it pretty serious lol. We usually always do a role draft right after the draft as you stated. It definitely helps in times like covid lol

I bet! Doing all the homework and narrowing things down to find the 2-3 gems who will help you win not only this year but years to come certainly help past the time. I gave up on fantasy baseball and my only pool I'm in this time of year is a golf pickem pool (can't pick same guy twice). I've never been so ready to choose a player and watch. 

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Going to an online draft this year. Should be interesting as there are several people in my league who have struggles keeping up with who has been picked already.

Staying confident that there will be football/fantasy 

Been discussing changes for upcoming year. Adding 2-3 roster spots in most leagues. In a couple leagues we have limits on number of transactions at 30. We moved that to 40....but the biggest thing is planning for $ side. In all my leagues we've decided if regular season (regardless of record) isn't finished all money returned. In other leagues if regular season is finished and playoffs start but don't finish we payout on best regular season record, most points being tiebreaker. 

Going to be a bumpy, bumpy ride this year. I think the biggest thing is making sure added roster/bench spots are added. Need tons of flexibility this year.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been discussing changes for upcoming year. Adding 2-3 roster spots in most leagues. In a couple leagues we have limits on number of transactions at 30. We moved that to 40....but the biggest thing is planning for $ side. In all my leagues we've decided if regular season (regardless of record) isn't finished all money returned. In other leagues if regular season is finished and playoffs start but don't finish we payout on best regular season record, most points being tiebreaker. 

Going to be a bumpy, bumpy ride this year. I think the biggest thing is making sure added roster/bench spots are added. Need tons of flexibility this year.

Great ideas. I think I’ll incorporate the $ stuff for sure and possibly the extra players

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Great ideas. I think I’ll incorporate the $ stuff for sure and possibly the extra players

For the dynasty league I'm in, we decided if the season goes at least 10 weeks, we'll count whatever the last 3 weeks are as the playoffs, and the weeks before that for seeding. If it happens, we wouldn't really know we were in the playoffs at the time, but at least with football it is total points. It isn't like head to head baseball where you change a lineup based on how you and the opponent are doing. Anything less than 10 weeks and we aren't doing any payouts.

We've also talked about doing a Madden simulation if the season gets cancelled.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Going ahead and holding the draft for our league on Wednesday night. Trying to do some last minute research/mock drafts, but still not into it.

Added three extra roster spots to prepare for possible covid disruptions. League will count and awards made if the NFL gets through 1/3rd of their season

Good luck! I have a couple drafts but not until 9/8. Adding roster spots this year is a must for the inevitable shuffling. Can't believe people aren't having leagues this year....to me the fun of fantasy football is adjusting/strategy for your roster. Will require that this year more than ever.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Good luck! I have a couple drafts but not until 9/8. Adding roster spots this year is a must for the inevitable shuffling. Can't believe people aren't having leagues this year....to me the fun of fantasy football is adjusting/strategy for your roster. Will require that this year more than ever.

yeah, we have people going on vacation that necessitated the early draft. Will be interesting if there are late opt outs that affect rosters.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

yeah, we have people going on vacation that necessitated the early draft. Will be interesting if there are late opt outs that affect rosters.

Yep. I haven't dove into my homework yet but one guy who will be on every one of my rosters this year is Alexander Mattison. Had him last year. With Cook's contract situation he's probably the most valuable handcuff since James Conner.

We had our rookie draft for our dynasty league a couple weeks ago.  Already traded my 1st round (10th overall) for Le'Veon Bell before the draft.  I stole next year's 3rd rounder from him in the same trade (then traded it back to him for Dwayne Haskins).  I really needed a RB, and all the good ones were gone, so I didn't mind taking a chance on Bell.  Got Tee Higgins and Jordan Love at the end of the 2nd round (we're a Superflex, so I was willing to take a shot on Love playing in a couple years).  Traded Gronk for a 3rd rounder and took Darrynton Evans.  Huge fan of him, and even if Henry stays healthy I think he'll still put up some numbers if I'm really desperate.  Massive potential.

I almost felt bad with another trade.  A guy really wanted my last pick of the draft so he didn't have to hope to get his guy on waivers.  I gave him this year's 3rd (last pick of draft), and next year's 3rd, and he gave me next year's 1st.  I couldn't hit accept quick enough!

Draft last night, and even though Yahoo says I did mediocre at best I am still pretty happy with my team.

First 4 picks were: Mike Thomas,Nick Chubb, Chris Carson and Tyler Lockett. Also picked up Fournette, Diggs and Tyler Boyd--who has scored me points in the past. Missed out on the top tier QBs so I have Josh Allen and Stafford. My TE may be a bit light, as I have Hunter Henry and Dallas Goedert. Took a flyer and drafted two rookie WRs in Pittman and Ruggs. Also took a flyer and picked Antonio Brown with my last choice--time will tell if that's wasted or not. 

Now, let's play some football.

So, last year my son and I spent hours mapping out a drafting strategy.  Read magazines, put players in small groups regardless of position, comprised of best available and perceived need, and drafted very aggressively.  Was the first team to draft a QB, TE, Defense, and Kicker.  Won the regular season easily, but lost in the playoffs.

This year, my son comes to me at 1:45 today (while I'm on a Zoom call for work) and tells me the draft is in 45 minutes.  I'm like WHAT!  We have not so much as given it a single thought.  No strategizing, hadn't even bought a magazine yet.  He quickly slapped together a grid of his top 5 for each position, but had no real strategy for need or best available.    

After my call ended at 2:00, I helped him the best I could.  But, needless to say, I'm not as happy with this year's draft as I was last year.  

I am not into Fantasy sports and in my fantasies it is not about a bunch of men in uniforms.  Seriously I noticed the other day looking for pre season football magazines that they don't have them any longer.  The only thing I found are the magazines about fantasy football.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not into Fantasy sports and in my fantasies it is not about a bunch of men in uniforms.  Seriously I noticed the other day looking for pre season football magazines that they don't have them any longer.  The only thing I found are the magazines about fantasy football.

They keep the real magazines your looking for, behind the counter, wrapped in plain, brown paper...

😁

18 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Draft last night, and even though Yahoo says I did mediocre at best I am still pretty happy with my team.

First 4 picks were: Mike Thomas,Nick Chubb, Chris Carson and Tyler Lockett. Also picked up Fournette, Diggs and Tyler Boyd--who has scored me points in the past. Missed out on the top tier QBs so I have Josh Allen and Stafford. My TE may be a bit light, as I have Hunter Henry and Dallas Goedert. Took a flyer and drafted two rookie WRs in Pittman and Ruggs. Also took a flyer and picked Antonio Brown with my last choice--time will tell if that's wasted or not. 

Now, let's play some football.

Assuming you picked around 4 or 5 in first? I'm curious where guys like Gurley, Gordon, and Bell went in your draft? I have a couple strategies I like to us but it requires the public to think guys like these 3 are washed up and still available in late 4th or 5th round. 

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, last year my son and I spent hours mapping out a drafting strategy.  Read magazines, put players in small groups regardless of position, comprised of best available and perceived need, and drafted very aggressively.  Was the first team to draft a QB, TE, Defense, and Kicker.  Won the regular season easily, but lost in the playoffs.

This year, my son comes to me at 1:45 today (while I'm on a Zoom call for work) and tells me the draft is in 45 minutes.  I'm like WHAT!  We have not so much as given it a single thought.  No strategizing, hadn't even bought a magazine yet.  He quickly slapped together a grid of his top 5 for each position, but had no real strategy for need or best available.    

After my call ended at 2:00, I helped him the best I could.  But, needless to say, I'm not as happy with this year's draft as I was last year.  

Those are the tough moments because you have to rely on the "experts" a little more than I prefer because some of these guys shouldn't be handing out fantasy football advice. Hope the draft went well. I don't have my first 2 until week from Tuesday. 

Archived