Fantasy Football 2019 - shared tips?

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Assuming you picked around 4 or 5 in first? I'm curious where guys like Gurley, Gordon, and Bell went in your draft? I have a couple strategies I like to us but it requires the public to think guys like these 3 are washed up and still available in late 4th or 5th round. 

I picked 6th in a 12 team draft. Bell and Gordon went with the last two picks of Round 3 and Gurley with the first pick in Round 4

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I picked 6th in a 12 team draft. Bell and Gordon went with the last two picks of Round 3 and Gurley with the first pick in Round 4

Thanks! My leagues are ppr so I really try to shore up my WR/TE targets early. In a perfect world this year I would draft 5th and be able to go Michael Thomas, Kelce, Thielen with my first and chase RB's and handcuffs later.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! My leagues are ppr so I really try to shore up my WR/TE targets early. In a perfect world this year I would draft 5th and be able to go Michael Thomas, Kelce, Thielen with my first and chase RB's and handcuffs later.

Non-ppr, and what I think made Thomas available to me was that someone picked Mahomes with the 3rd pick. The league includes a bunch of past co-workers, some still learning.

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Non-ppr, and what I think made Thomas available to me was that someone picked Mahomes with the 3rd pick. The league includes a bunch of past co-workers, some still learning.

That makes sense. I'm a original charter member of the Michael Thomas fan club. Especially in PPR leagues...so much even if I pick 3rd I might take him there over Zeke or Kamara assuming McCaffrey and Barkley go 1-2 in most leagues. 

Just fun to start talking football and fantasy football again. 

I have an odd strategy.  I'm in a keeper league.  Won last year but was seeded about 6th overall.  I drafted Mark Andrews 12th round and kept him.   I figure a bunch of guys will keep their early round top shelf guys and I will move up and get to draft early and often even though I'm defaulted to last pick since I won the league.  

Also keeping Kenyan Drake at 5th round.  My mentality in most things, life included, is most bang for my buck.  

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have an odd strategy.  I'm in a keeper league.  Won last year but was seeded about 6th overall.  I drafted Mark Andrews 12th round and kept him.   I figure a bunch of guys will keep their early round top shelf guys and I will move up and get to draft early and often even though I'm defaulted to last pick since I won the league.  

Also keeping Kenyan Drake at 5th round.  My mentality in most things, life included, is most bang for my buck.  

Probably doesn't work in keeper leagues strategy wise but I love drafting at 12. You can change the momentum of a draft and force others to draft say a QB in the 4th when they normally would wait another round or two. Plus in the 5/6 and 7/8 slots you can start loading up on handcuffs. Mattison, Murray, Pollard,etc...this year. Don't forget Benny Snell later on either. Conner says he's playing but with medical history there's a chance of him having to sit out as well. 

Anyone of these 4 are RB1 fantasy wise when the inevitable injury happens to Cook, Zeke, Kamara or Conner.

I've got Kenny Golladay as a keeper in the 7th rd 12 man league 1/2 ppr and AJ Brown in the 10th rd so I have a WR1/2 in Golladay every Sunday and a WR2 in AJ Brown.  2 RB, 2 WR and 2 flex.  My strategy will be a "0 RB strategy".  RBs take on more contact and encounter more injuries than WRs typically do.  Ill take a stud RB in the first rd.  Then between rds 2-7 I'll take a combination of 3 WRs and 1 RB.  I want my top 4 WRs to be loaded with potential and rely on 1 RB that is middle of the pack aka Jordan Howard or somewhat similar. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably doesn't work in keeper leagues strategy wise but I love drafting at 12. You can change the momentum of a draft and force others to draft say a QB in the 4th when they normally would wait another round or two. Plus in the 5/6 and 7/8 slots you can start loading up on handcuffs. Mattison, Murray, Pollard,etc...this year. Don't forget Benny Snell later on either. Conner says he's playing but with medical history there's a chance of him having to sit out as well. 

Anyone of these 4 are RB1 fantasy wise when the inevitable injury happens to Cook, Zeke, Kamara or Conner.

The way I see it or guess is that over half the guys will keep their previous number 1 pick which means my 12 and 13 picks move into 6th or 7th depending on what the other guys keep.  I'm already extremely solid with tight end and my running back finished as hot as anyone last year.  

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Or just stream whoever plays the Dolphins, Jets, or Giants. 

The league I'm in is individual defense, but before this league I got by many years on that strategy. I was always the guy who tried to draft a good defense. I'd much rather take a great defense than a #4 WR, or whatever average players were still available when the first defense goes. The years when I missed out, l would just stream a defense every week.

For our individual defense league, I went defense pretty early with Darius Leonard, Aaron Donald, Roquan Smith, Keanu Neal, and Derwin James. We get a LB/DL, DB, and IDP spot, so now I know I'll probably have the league's best defense for the next 5+ years.

While I was drafting those guys, everybody else was taking guys like Trubisky, the 3rd string RB for a team, and other guys who will be lucky to ever contribute. Waiting too long on defense doesn’t make much sense to me unless there's a guy you're really sold on at another position. 

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The league I'm in is individual defense, but before this league I got by many years on that strategy. I was always the guy who tried to draft a good defense. I'd much rather take a great defense than a #4 WR, or whatever average players were still available when the first defense goes. The years when I missed out, l would just stream a defense every week.

For our individual defense league, I went defense pretty early with Darius Leonard, Aaron Donald, Roquan Smith, Keanu Neal, and Derwin James. We get a LB/DL, DB, and IDP spot, so now I know I'll probably have the league's best defense for the next 5+ years.

While I was drafting those guys, everybody else was taking guys like Trubisky, the 3rd string RB for a team, and other guys who will be lucky to ever contribute. Waiting too long on defense doesn’t make much sense to me unless there's a guy you're really sold on at another position. 

Agree. I've never been big on fantasy draft rules after the first 7-9 rounds. If I see a guy or defense or even a kicker I like I have no problem grabbing them when I want. Again after all player needs are addressed. 

I typically stay away from New England RB's at all costs but a name to keep an eye on in late rounds is Damien Harris. I know Sony Michel is supposed to be the guy but  Damien Harris is apparently hitting it out of the park so far. Might be worth a stash after round 8 or 9.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I typically stay away from New England RB's at all costs but a name to keep an eye on in late rounds is Damien Harris. I know Sony Michel is supposed to be the guy but  Damien Harris is apparently hitting it out of the park so far. Might be worth a stash after round 8 or 9.

I have done pretty well over the years with James White 

Similar to @5fouls , I’m going into my draft with little studying, but I definitely have more time than him to prepare. Haha.

That said, anybody have some mid to late round sleepers they are feeling good about? I always finish in the top half of my league and usually it’s because i spend more time researching mid to late round picks. I feel it’s hard to go too wrong with the first 3 rounds....it’s all about crossing your fingers and hoping they don’t get injured.

And I always am the last to draft a QB. Personal preference. Last year I got Winston (rd 10) and Prescott (rd 13) and they finished 2 and 3 in points for QBs. Too bad i couldn’t play them at the same time. 

Those in the Indy area.  What should we expect from Jonathan Taylor? 

Asking because, of course, Fournette was our RB2.  Going to hang onto Fournette to see where he lands, but will want to start someone else early, at least Week 1.  Full PPR league, and we're planning to flex every week with a WR, absolutely loaded there.  As a result,  the RB depth not that great.  

Choices are:

• Taylor vs. Jacksonville
  • M. Ingram vs. Rams
  • J. Howard vs. New England (not actually considering this one)

Sucks, because we had Fournette on the team last year and could count on him playing 90% or more of the snaps.  None of the other options are that kind of a back.    And, none are going to catch the ball much.  Taylor has the best matchup, but Ingram would seem to be the one most likely to get in the end zone.  Howard is a wait and see, especially since they play NE week one.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Asking because, of course, Fournette was our RB2.  Going to hang onto Fournette to see where he lands, but will want to start someone else early, at least Week 1.  Full PPR league, and we're planning to flex every week with a WR, absolutely loaded there.  As a result,  the RB depth not that great.  

Choices are:

• M. Ingram vs. Rams

Sucks, because we had Fournette on the team last year and could count on him playing 90% or more of the snaps.  None of the other options are that kind of a back.    And, none are going to catch the ball much.  Taylor has the best matchup, but Ingram would seem to be the one most likely to get in the end zone.  Howard is a wait and see, especially since they play NE week one.

Thoughts?

not in the Indy area, but am a Colts fan. I have two rookies that I drafted this year, both WRs. I don't plan on using them right away, as I think most often they are going to take some time to get used to the speed and intensity of the pro game. In this particular case, the Colts already have an established back in Mack, so there is not the urgency to play Taylor enough plays to make him an asset for your fantasy team. I would go with Ingram in this one, but I would also take a longer look at Howard. NE has had several defensive starters opt out for the season. I don't think they will be as good as they were last year--they were my defense and were the highest scoring "player" almost every week for the first half of the year.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Choices are:

• M. Ingram vs. Rams

Thoughts?

I don't have much on Taylor, but the FF podcast I typically listen to is really hyping up Hines as a sleeper that'll go 11th round or lower. Rivers likes to check down to RBs and Hines is the best pass catcher of the 3 RB's on the Colts roster. They are expecting him to get a lot of 3rd down work.

.....So they say. 

They also sold me on another good sleeper option (not indy related...just passing along info): Michael Gallup. His average points per game were pretty high last year.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Choices are:

• M. Ingram vs. Rams

Thoughts?

Marlon Mack is the guy but I expect to see a healthy dose of Taylor as the season moves along. In your scenario I go Ingram but keep your eye on waiver wire over next 10 days. I expect those last second injuries,etc...or what have you. Shoot Frank Gore is splitting 50/50 with Bell right now for  Jets.

Overall though I draft a little different. I load up on WR's and TE early....QB and best available RB around 4th and 5th rounds....and I start loading up on handcuffs in round 6-10. Taylor isn't someone I would target before round 9 or 10. Especially with news today about Kamara and his contract if you haven't drafted already. Move Latavius Murray up your board a little.

Mattison, Murray, Pollard, Hunt, Chase Edmonds, Dobbins, Snell...even Lindsay. Start snagging these guys if available. One injury away from RB1 status.

To clarify, Taylor is already on the team as are Ingram and Howard.  Not dropping Fournette just yet until I see where he lands.  I just need to start someone in his place Week 1.  Leaning towards Ingram, but afraid I might miss out on a big debut for Taylor and worried about Dobbins taking touches from Ingram.  The Colts have a great OL.  

Archived