Style of play this season

Archie, speaking in Evansville, alluded to playing more through the bigs this year and maybe some more motion. I'd love to see our bigs get more touches and work to get the other team in foul trouble. Hopefully our guards will improve on when and how to feed the post. Anyone seen some practices or have some insight as to what to expect this season on O? This leads into which players will be on the floor. Rob and Green seem locked in at guard. Archie mentioned wanting to see more versatilty from Justin and praised his defense. Any new insights on likely starters and lineups? For those who may have missed it in the recruiting thread, CoachSS said Brunk is ahead of Davis. Do we likely see 2 of TJD, DD and JB on the court the majority of the time?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Well, if what you've said holds true; i would guess Rob, Green, Smith, TJD and Brunk.  Depending on how this offseason goes, i could see Hunter taking Smith's spot....or I guess 2 of Hunter/Smith/TJD for the 3/4 spots.

I don't see Smith playing the 3 and I think if Hunter is healthy he will start and I think these 4 will start and the other spot is up for grab.

RP

Green

Hunter

Davis

I think at least early in the year that I see Smith as the 5th starter.

I see Smith, TJD, Brunk or Davis, Green, and Phinisee as the starters. 

Off the bench will depend on a lot of things...pace, fouls, match-ups

Vague off the bench order...

Hunter

Durham

Brunk or Davis

Thompson

Anderson

Franklin

Fluid as the season moves along and people step up. 

I do think we have a very versatile group.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Me either but some will come back and tell you that McD AA don't sit.  Just ask Little at UNC or the kid at Villanova about 5 stars kids not starting.

I don't think it has anything to do with 5 star or Mickey D's AA...I think he'll start because I've seen him play, and I think he's a talented, versatile kid.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see TJD starting at the beginning of the season.

If he’s not good enough to start over Smith right away, then there’s a reason he’s the least heralded 5 star to come to IU in recent memory.  I haven’t watched him play enough to have an opinion either way, but I’ll be pretty disappointed if he’s behind Smith on the depth chart when the season rolls around.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If he’s not good enough to start over Smith right away, then there’s a reason he’s the least heralded 5 star to come to IU in recent memory.  I haven’t watched him play enough to have an opinion either way, but I’ll be pretty disappointed if he’s behind Smith on the depth chart when the season rolls around.

I just think he will start the more experience players early on and let TJD ease into the college game.  Not saying he is not better than Smith but I don't think he starts right away unless he just comes in and kills it.

42 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Junior Justin is going to be more ready at the beginning of the season than Freshman Trayce.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  It's how CBB should work.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Junior Justin is going to be more ready at the beginning of the season than Freshman Trayce.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  It's how CBB should work.

totally agree and that what happens when you have guys stay 3-4 years like they use to.  There were some freshman back then that come in and start right away but for most part they did not have to.  To me if Smith starts it would be more of a positive that Smith finally has turned it around and shows that he deserves to start.

I need someone to explain to me how they have Smith starting in a wing spot in a big lineup with TJD and Brunk/Davis? Like, what has he shown to make you think he can play on the perimeter? Is it hope that he's improved? Because he's a returning starter?

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It may be how college basketball should work, but Smith was one of the worst forwards in the Big Ten last season, and he had an attitude problem on top of that.  If TJD isn’t better than Smith from Day 1, he’s not as good as a lot of people hope/think he is.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I need someone to explain to me how they have Smith starting in a wing spot in a big lineup with TJD and Brunk/Davis? Like, what has he shown to make you think he can play on the perimeter? Is it hope that he's improved? Because he's a returning starter?

On defense, I know he can play on the perimeter. Saw him do it, at times, very effectively.

In Archie's speech in Evansville, he even cited Justin as someone he calls out to show the other players what he wants them to do, something CAM said he thought he'd never see.

On offense, I see him more as filling Juwan's role, but being less of a focal point than Juwan was. To me, Justin was the most effective when he didn't try to force offense, and picked up a lot of second chances around the rim.

I may be hanging my hat a little bit too much on TJD, and his ability to play on the perimeter, and there are question marks...

But I think Jerome Hunter has just as many questions marks at this point...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

On defense, I know he can play on the perimeter. Saw him do it, at times, very effectively.

In Archie's speech in Evansville, he even cited Justin as someone he calls out to show the other players what he wants them to do, something CAM said he thought he'd never see.

On offense, I see him more as filling Juwan's role, but being less of a focal point than Juwan was. To me, Justin was the most effective when he didn't try to force offense, and picked up a lot of second chances around the rim.

I may be hanging my hat a little bit too much on TJD, and his ability to play on the perimeter, and there are question marks...

But I think Jerome Hunter has just as many questions marks at this point...

I agree with most of what you just said, especially the points about defense. But, it didn't really answer the question, though I should have specified offensively. What have you seen from Justin Smith that makes you think he's a 2/3 (I simply call it a wing because that's what it really is) in this offense? If you put him in a lineup of Phinsee, Green, Smith, TJD, Davis/Brunk, then that's the position you're putting him in.

20 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It may be how college basketball should work, but Smith was one of the worst forwards in the Big Ten last season, and he had an attitude problem on top of that.  If TJD isn’t better than Smith from Day 1, he’s not as good as a lot of people hope/think he is.

Or that Smith has bought in and playing better.  Little at UNC was probably more talented than the people starting in front of him but he never started a game at UNC

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I agree with most of what you just said, especially the points about defense. But, it didn't really answer the question, though I should have specified offensively. What have you seen from Justin Smith that makes you think he's a 2/3 (I simply call it a wing because that's what it really is) in this offense? If you put him in a lineup of Phinsee, Green, Smith, TJD, Davis/Brunk, then that's the position you're putting him in.

I don't. I see him as a 4. I think the 3 spot will come from either TJD or Hunter. 

As I said in previous posts. I think TJD will surprise people with his perimeter game, particularly on offense. 

What I'm not sure of, is his defense on the perimeter...but then again, I have the same questions about Hunter...

But I do think the last starting spot comes down to TJD or Hunter.

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My point is Smith is starting at the 4 and TJD is coming off the bench.  Totally agree that there is no way Smith plays the 3.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't. I see him as a 4. I think the 3 spot will come from either TJD or Hunter. 

As I said in previous posts. I think TJD will surprise people with his perimeter game, particularly on offense. 

What I'm not sure of, is his defense on the perimeter...but then again, I have the same questions about Hunter...

No way TJD would be a 3

47 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Smith's dad had an attitude problem, but Justin's attitude issues may have been overblown.  Devonte displayed more attitude than Justin, and was even suspended.  But, because of the way he finished last season, everyone is overlooking that.  

I'm not saying that Justin is the second coming.  What I'm saying is that TJD is not Romeo, nor does he fill a glaring need like Rob did.  We simply are not going to see many Freshmen start for Archie.  Given he is healthy, I am fairly certain Justin starts in the first game of the season.

TJD may very well eventually win the spot, but it won't be given to him.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My point is Smith is starting at the 4 and TJD is coming off the bench.  Totally agree that there is no way Smith plays the 3.

I knew you weren't saying that. I saw IUFLA post their big lineup and is sparked me to ask the question, because I've seen numerous people post that type of lineup and I don't get it with Smith?

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gotcha. I don't think you put a freshmen TJD on the perimeter. So probably Hunter then. 

Archived