Style of play this season

120 minutes on the perimeter.  

Rob - 30

Devonte - 30

Al - 25

Jerome - 20

Others - 15

The player I am having the most difficult finding minutes for is Race.  Can he play the 3?  It appears there are more minutes available there than at the 4.  An injury to one of the other bigs changes that, but let's hope we avoid injuries this season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

80 minutes to distribute among 4 bigs (Davis, Smith, Brunk, TJD).   

We could very well see all 4 average 18-22 minutes, with a few more or less coming game by game based on matchups, foul trouble, and injuries/illness.

I look forward to the press conference where Izzo refers to IUs wave of 12 bigs

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

If you listen to what CAM had to say, he said Smith needs to show more versatility which implies to me if he wants more minutes, some will be at the 3/wing spot. 

I take it differently.  I think CAM is saying we are a little thin at the 3 spot and he thinks Justin is a candidate for minutes there if he becomes more versatile.  Problem is, no matter how many beers I consume, I can't see Justin playing the 3.  

I still think that anyone expecting much more than 20 minutes from either of the other 3 bigs (Brunk, Davis, or TJD) is being overly optimistic.  Brunk and Davis are 20 minute guys.  That's just who they are.  TJD is a freshman big man, which is never an easy transition.  

I think we're fine at the 3 spot if Jerome can give us 20 mins a game.  Demazi's biggest strength is his shooting and our team's biggest weakness is its shooting.  If he can't be a solid part of the rotation this season it's never going to happen especially with Leal and Galloway coming in.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha. I don't think you put a freshmen TJD on the perimeter. So probably Hunter then. 

One of my points is, that even though Jerome has been with the program for a year, and even though he didn't get to practice much beyond the first month, and I think that buys him something, he has as many, if not more question marks than TJD does, especially concerning health. He's essentially a freshman himself.

Now, I do know that Hunter is more a traditional wing, but having never seen him play beyond the high school highlight reels, it's kinda tough to assess his game. I know Archie talked glowingly about him early last year, but I'm tempering my expectations until I do see him in game action.

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I take it differently.  I think CAM is saying we are a little thin at the 3 spot and he thinks Justin is a candidate for minutes there if he becomes more versatile.  Problem is, no matter how many beers I consume, I can't see Justin playing the 3.  

I still think that anyone expecting much more than 20 minutes from either of the other 3 bigs (Brunk, Davis, or TJD) is being overly optimistic.  Brunk and Davis are 20 minute guys.  That's just who they are.  TJD is a freshman big man, which is never an easy transition.  

Justin can guard the 3 spot and I can see him being our defensive stopper. I do not yet see him with the shooting, ball handling and decision making for that spot on O. It might depend on who else is on the floor with him if he is going to be able to play more on the wing. Playing JS at the 3 would make for a rather large front court. 

36 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think we're fine at the 3 spot if Jerome can give us 20 mins a game.  Demazi's biggest strength is his shooting and our team's biggest weakness is its shooting.  If he can't be a solid part of the rotation this season it's never going to happen especially with Leal and Galloway coming in.

CAM said Damezi was one of the strongest on the team. 230lbs I think. Ideally, I'd like Jerome starting at the 3 with Damezi his backup. 

Agree, he needs to get some confidence this season. 

As far as style of play. I will leave it up to Coach Miller. Knowing he has said he likes the size, inside. Nothing more than I would like than to have De'Ron be the go to guy.  Inside out. Brunk may be ahead of De'Ron.  Let's go to both of them.  One thing I know.  De'Ron showed his talent inside. And is great at finding the open man. And is a great passer.  Joey and De'Ron inside ?   Yes !

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

If you listen to what CAM had to say, he said Smith needs to show more versatility which implies to me if he wants more minutes, some will be at the 3/wing spot. 

Smith is not a wing and won’t play the 3. Versatility is a broad concept, but includes improving his handle, dribbling in/through traffic, getting a bit of a jumper going, etc. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If you try some shrooms you might see him at the 3

As long as the team stays healthy I think fans can expect a clear improvement in offensive consistency. The team is just built better this year. More options.

By the way, don't sleep on TJD. IMO, RP-JH-TJD are an interesting trio that could be dangerous in transition as well as inside out in the half court game.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

120 minutes on the perimeter.  

Rob - 30

Devonte - 30

Al - 25

Jerome - 20

Others - 15

The player I am having the most difficult finding minutes for is Race.  Can he play the 3?  It appears there are more minutes available there than at the 4.  An injury to one of the other bigs changes that, but let's hope we avoid injuries this season.

30 mins of Green?? That scares me. Gosh he would have to really buy in and get it. Hard to play him more than 4-5 mins at a time without having to yank him out for 2-3 poor plays. He just doesn’t play with a high basketball IQ. Thankfully we have good depth at the 2/3 position with Al, Jerome, Damezi, and Armaan to spell minutes. I don’t mind Green at the 2 for extended minutes but it’s when he will back up Rob at the point when Rob sits that bothers me.

I do think we will have more balance. Guys will have confidence to make plays for themselves and the ball will move more freely. That said we won’t have a go to player or guy that can bail us out. Someone will have to step up and lead.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

30 mins of Green?? That scares me. Gosh he would have to really buy in and get it. Hard to play him more than 4-5 mins at a time without having to yank him out for 2-3 poor plays. He just doesn’t play with a high basketball IQ. Thankfully we have good depth at the 2/3 position with Al, Jerome, Damezi, and Armaan to spell minutes. I don’t mind Green at the 2 for extended minutes but it’s when he will back up Rob at the point when Rob sits that bothers me.

I do think we will have more balance. Guys will have confidence to make plays for themselves and the ball will move more freely. That said we won’t have a go to player or guy that can bail us out. Someone will have to step up and lead.

Good Devonte and this team goes somewhere.  

Bad Devonte and this team struggles again.

Like him or not, he is extremely important to this team, and my prediction of 30 minutes is my heart telling me this season will be a good one.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good Devonte and this team goes somewhere.  

Bad Devonte and this team struggles again.

Like him or not, he is extremely important to this team, and my prediction of 30 minutes is my heart telling me this season will be a good one.

From your lips to God’s ear!

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

As long as the team stays healthy I think fans can expect a clear improvement in offensive consistency. The team is just built better this year. More options.

By the way, don't sleep on TJD. IMO, RP-JH-TJD are an interesting trio that could be dangerous in transition as well as inside out in the half court game.

Who is this IMO player? 

😁

13 hours ago, Reacher said:

Justin can guard the 3 spot and I can see him being our defensive stopper. I do not yet see him with the shooting, ball handling and decision making for that spot on O. It might depend on who else is on the floor with him if he is going to be able to play more on the wing. Playing JS at the 3 would make for a rather large front court. 

I agree. I think Justin has already proven that he can guard in the perimeter, it's the offensive burden that the 3 slot carries that some aren't buying, and I totally understand that. Justin doesn't have great hands, a great handle, or good shooting technique. 

I try not to get too tied down with the numbering system. Everyone knows what and who the 1 is. Everyone knows what and who the 5s are. The other 3 slots are somewhat interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Anderson and Hunter have the size and body types to play the wing positions, but we saw last year that being deficient on the defensive side of the ball or not really knowing what to do on offense will greatly cut into your playing time. I'm looking for one of those two to emerge. 

Race Thompson's progression will be interesting too. Last year he was mainly used as an undersized post up player. How he is used this year will be something to watch.

Honestly, I will be very impressed with Archie if we tweak some things schematically to accommodate the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel. I’ve gotten so accustomed to Crean’s rigid coaching style (tempo, tempo, tempo to the exclusion of everything else), that I forgot what’s it’s like to have coaches tinker with schemes to make things work.  I like Archie a lot in terms of attitude but right now he’s unproven.  That’s why our preseason rankings are down. He needs to prove it, just like Tom Allen does.  My one red flag right now is how helpless Archie was in losing 12/13.  Time will tell if that was an anomaly, or whether it indicates a rigid adherence to what he’s been doing and an inability to adjust schematically to make things work. I hope it’s not the latter, and one indicator of that will be to see how we adjust to a different roster and to what’s happening. I’m not exaggerating when I say Bob Knight wins 5 of those games with that same roster.  He’d figure it out.  

Regarding Mike Roberts vs Ed Schilling, Roberts seems like a complete coach with the full tool kit.  Ed is seemingly a nice guy and can run camps for players to work on individual skills.  But, during games, you’d see timeouts or strategic situations, and it was Archie talking to Ostrom the most and Buster too, deciding on and drawing up strategy. Ed would invariably have his hands in his pockets practically looking like he was whistling in a Sunday morning cartoon.

i really hope Archie is the guy. Love his attitude and basketball philosophies.  Now we need to execute game to game.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree. I think Justin has already proven that he can guard in the perimeter, it's the offensive burden that the 3 slot carries that some aren't buying, and I totally understand that. Justin doesn't have great hands, a great handle, or good shooting technique. 

I try not to get too tied down with the numbering system. Everyone knows what and who the 1 is. Everyone knows what and who the 5s are. The other 3 slots are somewhat interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Anderson and Hunter have the size and body types to play the wing positions, but we saw last year that being deficient on the defensive side of the ball or not really knowing what to do on offense will greatly cut into your playing time. I'm looking for one of those two to emerge. 

Race Thompson's progression will be interesting too. Last year he was mainly used as an undersized post up player. How he is used this year will be something to watch.

I'd love to see Damezi and Race carve out a niche and contribute a solid 10 minutes / game.

Could you see Justin on the floor with 2 other bigs? If Race and TJD are a threat from the outside, that could allow him to play with 2 bigs. A "3" on D and a "4" on O.

Archived