3 UCLA players arrested in China

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Times like this I realize why I decided to unfollow Brian Snow. Somehow his stupidity ended up in my timeline again. He and others are trying to diminish. Basically saying DUI's kill people and suspensions for those crimes are only 3 games. That these kids shouldn't get more than that. 

Perhaps people should realize that maybe why our country (and specifically sports) are so out of control is people thinking that shoplifting in a country like China while representing your country, your school, your teammates....is no big deal and should be treated lightly? I have no clue what the appropriate suspension should be. I don't recall boosting sunglasses in China before for any other players. My guess is somewhere around 10 games. Guarantee they are back before they play Kentucky on December 23rd.

Cheat on a test or plagiarize get expelled.  Steal from someone in another country while representing the school. Well not a big deal apparently.   Dakich said Steve should kick them off because he will be fired from there anyway and this will give him credibility for his next gig. Very good point.  Wrong reason but I think that should be the penalty.  Pack their bags and out them on their way

Couple follow up points. Apparently plenty of discussion according to sources debating whether players should be suspended half a season or full. ESPN article I read said that some are worried that if suspension is full season some are nervous players will transfer.

Alford has spent years trying to distant himself from the Pierre Pierce situation. He can't afford to go soft on this one.

PS...UCLA barely beat Central Arkansas last night at home by 5. 

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Couple follow up points. Apparently plenty of discussion according to sources debating whether players should be suspended half a season or full. ESPN article I read said that some are worried that if suspension is full season some are nervous players will transfer.

Alford has spent years trying to distant himself from the Pierre Pierce situation. He can't afford to go soft on this one.

PS...UCLA barely beat Central Arkansas last night at home by 5. 

When Rick Neuheisel was HC of the UCLA FB team, he had three players get in trouble.  Not terribly serious. But enough to suspend. Rick suspended all three for the entire season. And all three transferred. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe this Lavar Ball guy. Ignorance and entitlement at its worst. Here are some of his comments. Why would any school take his son with the baggage as big as Lavar Ball?

"I'm not sitting back and waiting," LaVar Ball told ESPN. "He wasn't punished this bad in China."

"We get back over here and the consequences were even stiffer than China. So basically they're in jail here."

"I'm going to make him way better for the draft than UCLA ever could have," he said.

"He's not transferring to another school," he told ESPN. "The plan is now to get Gelo ready for the NBA draft."

"They had him there just to use the Ball family name. They were going to keep the best shooter on the team coming off the bench? That's like telling the Clippers back in the day not to play JJ Redick," LaVar Ball said.

Now.... I am convinced. Lavall Ball is certifiably off his rocker.

Verdell Jones' father used to make weekly trips from Illinois to Bloomington, to have sit downs with Crean. Feeling Crean was not utilizing Verdell correctly. It was never this bad. In fact by the end of Verdell's career, his dad and Coach Crean were seeing eye to eye. 

2 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Proud of our Hoosier Steve for standing firm on that. I'm sure there was some conversation involved between him and Lavar; hopefully the Coach put him undeniably in his place.

I wouldn't be so quick to pat Steve on the back. He's probably relieved today that it's over but at the same time he knew what he was doing when he got started with this family. I do feel bad for this one though. He's nowhere even remotely on the G-League let alone NBA roster. His Dad is robbing him of playing college hoops for 3-4 years and having fun with that. 

From everything I read. This Ball player (pun intended) would be lucky to play overseas. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I really believe the decision to suspend the three thieves came from higher up than Alford.  Just think of what Ball's stat's at UCLA will look like in the record books...... 0 points, 0 rebounds, and ONE steal !

Those are the stats Archibald Moonlight Graham would be proud of. 

Archived