Favorite book

KoB2011

I read a lot.  Almost exclusively fiction.  It's an escape for me, so non-fiction does not hold as much appeal.

My favorite book of all time is 'If I Never Get Back' by Darryl Brock.  Time traveling fantasy story focusing on the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings.

https://www.amazon.com/If-Never-Get-Back-Novel/dp/1583941878

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I read a lot.  Almost exclusively fiction.  It's an escape for me, so non-fiction does not hold as much appeal.

My favorite book of all time is 'If I Never Get Back' by Darryl Brock.  Time traveling fantasy story focusing on the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings.

https://www.amazon.com/If-Never-Get-Back-Novel/dp/1583941878

This book actually sounds really interesting...I might have to check it out sometime.

I was really into history books for awhile, especially those covering Civil War. One I thought was interesting was Co. Aytch: A Confederate Memoir of the Civil War

https://www.amazon.com/Co-Aytch-Confederate-Memoir-Civil/dp/144952883X

However, I have been reading mostly fiction recently...and more specifically, began reading Stephen King again (I used to read him all the time when I was younger). Probably my favorite fictional book of his is the Stand.

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Stephen-King/dp/0307947300/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510100355&sr=1-1&keywords=the+stand

I read a lot of fiction as well The Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silvia is awesome.

Also like the Ken Follett sequels.

Favorite book was written by a guy named Peter Jenkins in the 70's called A Walk Across America. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I read a lot of fiction as well The Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silvia is awesome.

Also like the Ken Follett sequels.

Favorite book was written by a guy named Peter Jenkins in the 70's called A Walk Across America. 

I've read all the Silva books  Love them.  

Also read the Century Trilogy by Follett.  Fantastic series.

32 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I've gone thru phases of authors I like but those first guys, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Azimov, Heinlein, Stephen King are the ones I still pull out when I need to feel grounded.  I read the Lord of the Rings every year. 

I've read the Tolkien trilogy 8-9 times 

Hobbit at least as many.

The movies were great but hold no candle to the books 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:19 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

This book actually sounds really interesting...I might have to check it out sometime.

I was really into history books for awhile, especially those covering Civil War. One I thought was interesting was Co. Aytch: A Confederate Memoir of the Civil War

https://www.amazon.com/Co-Aytch-Confederate-Memoir-Civil/dp/144952883X

However, I have been reading mostly fiction recently...and more specifically, began reading Stephen King again (I used to read him all the time when I was younger). Probably my favorite fictional book of his is the Stand.

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Stephen-King/dp/0307947300/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510100355&sr=1-1&keywords=the+stand

Have you read Michael Shaara's Killer Angels? Battle of Gettysburg, but as a compelling action story, fantastic book.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

David Baldacci is another guy I really like.

And, if you want a read that typically flies by, Clive Cussler's books are good for that. Good for a long flight, or a read on the beach.

The Baldacci books I like are the Will Robie series (The Innocent, book 1) and the John Puller series.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Baldacci books I like are the Will Robie series (The Innocent, book 1) and the John Puller series.

Love the Puller series. King and Maxwell are good too. But I think my favorite is his newest character--Amos Decker. Guy that can't forget anything.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:10 PM, KoB2011 said:

What is everyone's favorite book? Are you a fan of fiction or non-fiction? Anyone read anything good lately?

It's just impossible for me to pick one favorite book. Started reading seriously around the 4th grade. When I read Don Quixote in the 6th grade my "reading" teacher told me I read too much. ha ha.

Favorites include

- Watership Down

- The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings

- Dune

- The Game of Thrones books by the lazy bum who still hasn't finished The Winds of Winter (damn it) 

- The Dark Tower (Stephen King), this first book in the series is really good. The next 2 are also good, but then King goes into some kind of wacky self-love fest and ruins the series, actually inserts himself, personally, as the author into the end of the series. But The Dark Tower itself is outstanding.

- Killer Angels, Michael Shaara

- Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti books - there are several, starting with Death at La Fenice, crime fiction set in Venice, her writing is fantastic

- I could keep going but you get the point

-- Wait I somehow left out the series I've been reading for the past year plus -- this (science fiction) series is really, really good:

James S. A. Corey's Expanse books, starts with Leviathan Wakes. James S.A. Corey is actually a pen name for two authors. The series has been nominated for best series Hugo award. For any of you who like sci fi, these books (started in 2012 or so) are awesome. And Amazon has an original Expanse series show which just finished season 2, really well done.

HH seems we may like the same stuff. Are you a Dresden fan?

I know what you mean about the game of thrones...I was a Wheel of Time fan starting at book 3.  Stopped buying them around book 11. Said I wouldn't until he finished the series.  He died before he did!  Frustrating.  Now I pretty much don't buy series unless they are almost done or can be read as single novels.

20 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

HH seems we may like the same stuff. Are you a Dresden fan?

I know what you mean about the game of thrones...I was a Wheel of Time fan starting at book 3.  Stopped buying them around book 11. Said I wouldn't until he finished the series.  He died before he did!  Frustrating.  Now I pretty much don't buy series unless they are almost done or can be read as single novels.

Dresden Files? I haven't read any of those, good books?

I read a fair amount of crime fiction. I didn't list them but my favorite crime fiction series / author is Martin Cruz Smith's inspector Renko books - Gorky Park and the rest. He's one of the best authors out there, in any genre, and the Renko books, all set in Russia, are the best. Also read Nelson DeMille - lots of humor to go with the crime drama.

If you haven't read any James SA Corey's Expanse books though, check them out, they're really good - sci fi mix with some fantasy, some crime drama, really entertaining