Favorite book

KoB2011

• 8 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Resurrecting this.

I have been reading the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. Excellent and easy reads.

Anyone seen the Bosch series they made from this?

The Bosch series on Amazon Prime is absolutely amazing.  I literally watched an episode a night last summer for 60 straight nights to catch up on the series. So far there have been 6 seasons of 10 episodes each.  Season 7 is due out this summer and will be the final one.  But, they are discussing a spinoff.  I would be careful and make sure you have read the book associated with the season of the TV series. They normally cover two book storylines in each TV season.  But, I do highly recommend the tv series.

I've read every one of Connelly's books that have come out in paperback.  His Lincoln Lawyer series is good, but not as outstanding as Bosch.     

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, 5fouls said:

The Bosch series on Amazon Prime is absolutely amazing.  I literally watched an episode a night last summer for 60 straight nights to catch up on the series. So far there have been 6 seasons of 10 episodes each.  Season 7 is due out this summer and will be the final one.  But, they are discussing a spinoff.  I would be careful and make sure you have read the book associated with the season of the TV series. They normally cover two book storylines in each TV season.  But, I do highly recommend the tv series.

I've read every one of Connelly's books that have come out in paperback.  His Lincoln Lawyer series is good, but not as outstanding as Bosch.     

I started by reading the Micky Haller books, which then led me to Bosch. I am now on 9Dragons, which is about halfway through the Bosch series of books. I will probably read more before starting to watch 

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I started by reading the Micky Haller books, which then led me to Bosch. I am now on 9Dragons, which is about halfway through the Bosch series of books. I will probably read more before starting to watch 

9Dragons is a pivotal book in the series.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Finished 9 Dragons and The Drop.

Assuming Irvin Irving is really innocent as I noticed that his character is in the series 

He's portrayed a little differently in the series.  Still a Bosch antagonist, but overall more 'honest' in the tv series.  One thing is that the tv series does not follow the order of the books.  The stories in the series jump around and characters that may not have been prominent in the story in the book have a bigger role in that same story in the tv series. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's portrayed a little differently in the series.  Still a Bosch antagonist, but overall more 'honest' in the tv series.  One thing is that the tv series does not follow the order of the books.  The stories in the series jump around and characters that may not have been prominent in the story in the book have a bigger role in that same story in the tv series. 

If I watch the series I think it will be after I have read all the books. Don’t want to find out about stuff I haven’t read yet 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If I watch the series I think it will be after I have read all the books. Don’t want to find out about stuff I haven’t read yet 

Agreed.  Definitely wait for it.  That said, you do want to watch the series.  it is absolutely outstanding.  

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just finished the last (current) book. Going to read the next Gabriel Allon book, out in about 10 days, then I will start watching the series 

I just finished reading last year's Gabriel Allon book (The Order).  I always wait for the paperback.  It was probably one of my least favorites in the series.

Season 7 of Bosch has now dropped on Amazon Prime.  I have not started watching it yet.  The last two weeks have been crazy.

Just today, I started the latest paperback from Michael Koryta.  He's actually from Bloomington.  If you've never read him, he writes thrillers, some of which have had some minor supernatural aspects.  One of his books, 'Those Who Wish Me Dead' was made into a movie that came out this spring (Angelina Jolie was the Lead).  The one I am reading now is called If She Wakes.  His recent books are standalones, but his early works were a series.    

• Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just today, I started the latest paperback from Michael Koryta.  He's actually from Bloomington.  If you've never read him, he writes thrillers, some of which have had some minor supernatural aspects.  One of his books, 'Those Who Wish Me Dead' was made into a movie that came out this spring (Angelina Jolie was the Lead).  The one I am reading now is called If She Wakes.  His recent books are standalones, but his early works were a series. 

The Indiana library Overdrive system has a dozen of his books in audio, which is great for my windshield time.  I marked them all for my wishlist based on your recco.

...and I can't say enough for Overdrive (free smartphone app).  If you are in Indiana and have a library card with a participating library, you have access to an extensive digital library full of free eBooks and audiobooks at your fingertips.  I literally pay nothing (except property taxes) for this privilege and I love it.  I think I've gone through 50-60 books over the last two years through this system.  Currently, I have The Wolf of Wall Street (the Jordan Belfort story) on audio and Benjamin Rush (early doctor and signer of the Declaration of Independence) on eBook.  I use audio on the road and eBooks when I'm trying to wind down and go to sleep...can't tell you how many times I've been awakened by the phone hitting my face in bed. 😂 For an insomniac like me, an eBook is a great option to wind down with.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The Indiana library Overdrive system has a dozen of his books in audio, which is great for my windshield time.  I marked them all for my wishlist based on your recco.

...and I can't say enough for Overdrive (free smartphone app).  If you are in Indiana and have a library card with a participating library, you have access to an extensive digital library full of free eBooks and audiobooks at your fingertips.  I literally pay nothing (except property taxes) for this privilege and I love it.  I think I've gone through 50-60 books over the last two years through this system.  Currently, I have The Wolf of Wall Street (the Jordan Belfort story) on audio and Benjamin Rush (early doctor and signer of the Declaration of Independence) on eBook.  I use audio on the road and eBooks when I'm trying to wind down and go to sleep...can't tell you how many times I've been awakened by the phone hitting my face in bed. 😂 For an insomniac like me, an eBook is a great option to wind down with.

We both use Overdrive through the NYPL and it’s saved us a TON of money on Kindle books. We still buy a lot of physical books, but it we want to read on our Kindle it’s through the library. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We both use Overdrive through the NYPL and it’s saved us a TON of money on Kindle books. We still buy a lot of physical books, but it we want to read on our Kindle it’s through the library. 

I buy physical books for my collection (mostly local and Indiana history) but Overdrive is a killer app for almost all of my recreational reading.  Not surprised, but I'm glad to hear it's widely available. 

I'd recommend anyone with a local library ask about availability. Having that access makes me feel a lot better about paying property taxes. 

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to look back, but if I haven't already recommended Killing the Rising Sun, it's a must read.  The O'Reilly/Dugard Killing series is pretty good, but that one is by far the best...just riveting reading about a very serious subject.  The pages covering the actual dropping of the first bomb is edge of your seat white knuckle stuff.

...and of course, it's free through the Overdrive app (at least in Indiana).  Those Overdrive creators owe me 🏦

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just finished the latest Siva/Gabriel Allon book, The Cellist.

As always, Silva doesn’t disappoint 

I'll bring this one up again in about 9 or 10 months, after the paperback is published.  I'm really going to miss the character and the series once he's 'retired'.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just finished the latest Silva/Gabriel Allon book, The Cellist.

As always, Silva doesn’t disappoint 

Thanks for the tip.  Just added 13 audiobooks to my account on Overdrive.  Unfortunately, the Indiana library system doesn't have all of them, but it looks like they have the first three or four so I should be able to get a reasonable foundation.

I still can't believe I can get all these for just having a library card...what a deal.

I’m just finishing up Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (author of The Martian).

Holy cow, the book sucks you in from the first paragraph. It’s hard to put the thing down…had to force myself to go to bed this past weekend. Highly recommended if you like science fiction, interstellar space travel, etc. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have just started reading the Scot Harvath series written by Brad Thorn.

Excellent first book, and just started the second

I considered that series before, but have held off.  Too many other series and/or authors I'm already committed to.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...