Favorite book

KoB2011

Yeap, the Dresden Files.  I have a blast reading those. Good Urban fantasy with some fun thrown in.  Kim Harrison Hollows is also a good fun urban fantasy series.  I read the Jack Reacher series but lately have gone and try to buy the cheap kindle books that have good reviews....you know, the $1.99 ones.  

Or I go back and read the older SF.  A.E. Van Vogt, Bradbury, Azimov, Heinlein, Moorcock, Zelazny, H.Beam Piper, Gordon R. Dickson, Frank Herbert, Philip Jose Farmer,  and lots of others.  There are so many good authors that I now just kinda look for low prices.  I am tired of the days where I am paying $25 for a book, especially now that I don't get the physical book, just the electronic ones. 

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this old thread.

If you have the chance, read Steve Rushin’s two books, Sting Ray Afternoons and just released Nights in White Castles.

Nostalgic look at growing up in Minnesota from the late 60’s through him attending Marquette and then becoming a writer. Rushin is funny, clever, self deprecating and a smart ass all in one.

Great summer reads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Baldacci books I like are the Will Robie series (The Innocent, book 1) and the John Puller series.

Realized I never replied in this thread. 

I like Will Robie as well and pretty much any other type of action/ spy/ CIA type thrillers.

Just so happened to be reading the Lee Child Reacher series when I needed a name for HSN. 

Other than that, I like military history and specifically the Pacific side of WWII and Afghanistan. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 6:57 PM, 5fouls said:

I read a lot.  Almost exclusively fiction.  It's an escape for me, so non-fiction does not hold as much appeal.

My favorite book of all time is 'If I Never Get Back' by Darryl Brock.  Time traveling fantasy story focusing on the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings.

https://www.amazon.com/If-Never-Get-Back-Novel/dp/1583941878

What I quoted will always be my favorite book.  But, if you want to have your mind blown, I recommend 'Dark Matter' by Blake Crouch.  

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Matter-Novel-Blake-Crouch-ebook/dp/B0180T0IUY

Edited by 5fouls

I mostly read non-fiction, mostly US history related though some fiction like Tom Clancy. 

S.O.G, by John L Plaster, is a book about US special forces clandestine operations in Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam war.  The author was a part of this group. Gives a different aspect of the war that you dont learn in a history class. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I mostly read non-fiction, mostly US history related though some fiction like Tom Clancy. 

S.O.G, by John L Plaster, is a book about US special forces clandestine operations in Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam war.  The author was a part of this group. Gives a different aspect of the war that you dont learn in a history class. 

If you like actual US history and military fiction, read the Southern Victory series by Harry Turtledove.  It's an alternate history series that goes from the end of the Civil War to the end of WW2, if the Confederates had won the Civil War.  He puts a ton of detail into both the geopolitical and military environments, and shows the projected impact on actual historic figures.  Example from the series: Custer becomes a featured character in more than one book, since westward expansion is de-prioritized and he never goes to Little Big Horn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

If you like actual US history and military fiction, read the Southern Victory series by Harry Turtledove.  It's an alternate history series that goes from the end of the Civil War to the end of WW2, if the Confederates had won the Civil War.  He puts a ton of detail into both the geopolitical and military environments, and shows the projected impact on actual historic figures.  Example from the series: Custer becomes a featured character in more than one book, since westward expansion is de-prioritized and he never goes to Little Big Horn. 

I love me some fictional history.  The "what ifs" intrigue me.  Gonna have to check that out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

My father in law is a big fan of that series 

Despite the amount of truth or halftruths or whatever Oprah got duped on. I really enjoyed Million Little Pieces. I don't read for enjoyment anymore. Probably should get back into it. I think in 2006/07 range I started with one Grisham novel and read about 20 of his. Always fun to read most of his stuff too.

• 7 months later...

Another good thread to resurrect - glad this one got pulled up. 

Have been reading Alan Russel’s Gideon and Sirius series — crime investigator and his dog / police dog. These books are great. Writing is top flight, An on going back and forth with a serial killer, but with good humor and the development of story with his dog is great stuff 

I just finished The Great Gatsby. Can't believe it took me this long to get around to it. It was fun and enlightening reading about New York at the beginning of the 20th century; it seems so long ago and yet there are so many similarities to today.

But to answer the original question, I'm a huge fan of Cormac McCarthy: No Country for Old Men, Blood Meridian, The Road, his excellent Border Trilogy. All dark and haunting, but searching for humanity.