TDH provides an update

When CAM is speaking of Green and says he (Green) will be dissapointed I'm saying he's going to have to shoot and make plays for us this year.....I wish I could tell if that was sarcasm or not.  But i think CAM hit the nail on the head basicly giving his "Uncle Ben" speach to "Peter Parker".  "With great power comes great responsability".  If Green can play within the game plan and pick his spots to bonkers, DAMN could he be scary good!!!!  The kid just needs to get out of his own darn way. 

He, Rob and Hunter (if healthy) have the potential to be a nasty back court.  If all thr pieces fall the right way for a change; im cautiously optamistic about our season. 🤞🙏

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

When CAM is speaking of Green and says he (Green) will be dissapointed I'm saying he's going to have to shoot and make plays for us this year.....I wish I could tell if that was sarcasm or not.  But i think CAM hit the nail on the head basicly giving his "Uncle Ben" speach to "Peter Parker".  "With great power comes great responsability".  If Green can play within the game plan and pick his spots to bonkers, DAMN could he be scary good!!!!  The kid just needs to get out of his own darn way. 

He, Rob and Hunter (if healthy) have the potential to be a nasty back court.  If all thr pieces fall the right way for a change; im cautiously optamistic about our season. 🤞🙏

On the bolded, I actually took what Archie said a different way. It sounded to me like Archie was saying he's pushed the kid for two years, forced him to play within a certain structure because that was needed, but now that he's a senior and because this roster probably needs it, it's time to let Green loose. It's time to let Green play his game. To your point, as a coach you hope those two years of sort of 'breaking him down' have taught him some things and 'letting him loose' isn't as helter skelter as it would have been in the past.

Maybe we're actually saying the same thing?

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

“He’s going to have to shoot the ball, score the ball, and make a lot of plays, and I’m sure he’s very disappointed in me saying that publicly right now.  When he gets the opportunity to take advantage of the rope, he takes all the rope he can get.”

That is absolutely dry humor -- and funny. 

Like Gleas, I see CAM's comments reflecting he's going to give Green rope -- take his hands of the reins -- and let him go. The team needs his scoring. Green is going to have the opportunity to shine, more than he has before. 

And he and Davis are motivated -- 4-year players who haven't played -- yet -- in the tourney.

@BGleas @Hoosierhoopster I took it to be said with a smirk as a joke as well.  And I do think CAM will and need to "Free Devonte" this year.  Hopefully DG will keep things about a 7-8 rather than go full on Tazmanian Devil.  Im sure he will have some head scratcher moments but as long as the goods outnumber the bads, id think thats what CAM is looking for......maybe??  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I know Coach Miller questioned himself publicly  at times last year about bringing back De'Ron.  

My personal opinion..... Coach Miller should have redshirted De'Ron for the season. Considering the type of injury.  I doubt many would have questioned Coach Miller for doing that. And IMHO, also considering the type of injury, the NCAA would have ok'd an extra year.  If he had done that, we possibly would have had a healthy De'Ron for not one, but two more years. 

Coulda.  Woulda. Shouda.   Glad I am not a HC.  LOL

14 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

@BGleas @Hoosierhoopster I took it to be said with a smirk as a joke as well.  And I do think CAM will and need to "Free Devonte" this year.  Hopefully DG will keep things about a 7-8 rather than go full on Tazmanian Devil.  Im sure he will have some head scratcher moments but as long as the goods outnumber the bads, id think thats what CAM is looking for......maybe??  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

He was very very clearly joking about Devontae being "disappointed".

In the video clip you can see him laughing and the room laughing with him.

It was "disappointed" as in Otis Campbell being disappointed in a new distillery opening in Mayberry.  ;)

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I know Coach Miller questioned himself publicly  at times last year about bringing back De'Ron.  

My personal opinion..... Coach Miller should have redshirted De'Ron for the season. Considering the type of injury.  I doubt many would have questioned Coach Miller for doing that. And IMHO, also considering the type of injury, the NCAA would have ok'd an extra year.  If he had done that, we possibly would have had a healthy De'Ron for not one, but two more years. 

Coulda.  Woulda. Shouda.   Glad I am not a HC.  LOL

With Race out for most of the year due to the concussion, without Davis we would have only had Juwan and Evan to man the inside. Even a semi-healthy Davis was a better option in the post than Evan.

12 minutes ago, IUaic said:

With Race out for most of the year due to the concussion, without Davis we would have only had Juwan and Evan to man the inside. Even a semi-healthy Davis was a better option in the post than Evan.

I hear ya. However, we were looking very much forward to a big year from Romeo.  Yeah, I know that did not turn out as well as we hoped for.  At least the expectations were high prior to the start of last season. And as far as I am concerned Juwan could have filled the gap inside. 

Instead. We have De'Ron for only one more year. Instead of two. 

Not saying you are wrong.  Just the way I feel. 

I've said this before in multiple threads the last two years, and I'll say it again.  When Green plays well, the team plays well.  When Green struggles, the team struggles.  I hate the overuse of the term x factor at times, but he really is our x factor.  When we made that run at the end of last season, Green was leading the charge.  We really need him to improve in the consistency department though.  Sorry to the people who hate the Good Devonte/Bad Devonte thing, but we need Good Devonte every night.  

I could be wrong (it happens a lot, just ask my wife), but I got the sense while listening to the Evansville event that Archie was acknowledging that he might have restrained Green a bit too much his first two years and that it was time to let the thoroughbred run so to speak.  

If Devonte would just avoid the knucklehead plays I'd be satisfied. 

Look, everyone is going to get a shot blocked on occasion, or get the ball stolen from them. It's basketball. It happens.

But don't go into a fancy dribble and dribble it off your foot. Don't make a headlong rush to the basket and think if there are defenders you have to throw up a wild shot (Al does it too). There are other options.

Devonte is at his best when he's shooting the ball in rhythm. Catch and shoot. If we can put him in that position, he'll succeed.

Not worried about his defense. He was pretty good (and one of the best at slipping screens) on that end last year.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

If Devonte would just avoid the knucklehead plays I'd be satisfied. 

Look, everyone is going to get a shot blocked on occasion, or get the ball stolen from them. It's basketball. It happens.

But don't go into a fancy dribble and dribble it off your foot. Don't make a headlong rush to the basket and think if there are defenders you have to throw up a wild shot (Al does it too). There are other options.

Devonte is at his best when he's shooting the ball in rythem. Catch and shoot. If we can put him in that position, he'll succeed.

Not worried about his defense. He was pretty good (and one of the best at slipping screens) on that end last year.

Spot on.

Archived