Do you get a flu shot ?

milehiiu

With the upcoming flu season, I ask the question.

At my age. I am told I should.  However, I don't.

My wife gets a flu shot every year, on her doctor's advise.

So guess what ?

My wife got the flu. Twice.  Last winter.

Me ?

Not once.

How about you Hoosier Nation ?  Do you get an annual flu shot ? Or not ?

1.  I do get a flu shot.

2.  I no longer shake hands.  This took some adjustment, as it's a social norm.

3.  I wash my hands often, even after something as simple as using a shopping cart.  It's been used by dozens of other people that day.

4.  Haven't been sick in 11 years.  I believe steps 2 and 3 are more important than the flu shot.

Bonus info:  studies have shown that hand sanitizers make things worse, not better.  The goop builds up on surfaces (keyboards, door handles, steering wheels, phones) and eventually creates an ideal growing environment for all sorts of bad things.

Second bonus:  kids should be exposed to all sorts of germs.  Their immune systems need to recognize germs, and build antibodies.  If children are overprotected, they will often be much more prone to illness as adults.  Let 'em be kids.  Play outside in the dirt.  Be messy.  Be around other kids who sneeze and cough.  Have fun. 

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

With the upcoming flu season, I ask the question.

At my age. I am told I should.  However, I don't.

My wife gets a flu shot every year, on her doctor's advise.

So guess what ?

My wife got the flu. Twice.  Last winter.

Me ?

Not once.

How about you Hoosier Nation ?  Do you get an annual flu shot ? Or not ?

I don't get one either, typically for the same reason. But something to note on that, I was once making the argument that I don't get a flu shot because everyone that gets the shot ends up with the flu to a friend that is a nurse. She quickly fired back that the shot isn't to prevent you from getting the flu, it's so that if you do get the flu it won't kill you. 

Food for thought. 

30 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Also once you start taking the flu shot then take it every year and if you skip a year be prepared to be the sickest you have ever been.

I don't know. I took a flu shot every year (20) I was in the USAF (they didn't give you the option...you were getting one whether you liked it or not). After I retired, I didn't take one for 5 years. Then I started again. Not sick once in the 5 year lapse.

I'm not sick very often. Maybe once every 3 years or so now. I was never sick in the USAF. I was on quarters (back spasms) 3 days in 20 years. That good Martinsville water I guess.

58 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I no longer shake hands

Not being a smartass or anything, but what do you say when someone sticks their hand out? It has to be a little awkward, and I'm sure some people would be a bit put off by it...

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't get one either, typically for the same reason. But something to note on that, I was once making the argument that I don't get a flu shot because everyone that gets the shot ends up with the flu to a friend that is a nurse. She quickly fired back that the shot isn't to prevent you from getting the flu, it's so that if you do get the flu it won't kill you. 

Food for thought. 

Another thought.  They try to figure out what the flu is going to be for the next year.  Make the immunization.  And often, based on what I have read.  They don't get it right all the time.However... I have read. They are developing a universal flu shot.   That's when I might consider getting a flu shot in the future.

I know we have some doctors as members here. Would love to hear from them.

Also.  Madison 22 mentioned playing in the dirt as a kid.  Heaven knows I did a lot of that !   Seriously think kids spend too much time in doors these days.  Madison 22 may be onto something here.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know. I took a flu shot every year (20) I was in the USAF (they didn't give you the option...you were getting one whether you liked it or not). After I retired, I didn't take one for 5 years. Then I started again. Not sick once in the 5 year lapse.

I'm not sick very often. Maybe once every 3 years or so now. I was never sick in the USAF. I was on quarters (back spasms) 3 days in 20 years. That good Martinsville water I guess.

Not being a smartass or anything, but what do you say when someone sticks their hand out? It has to be a little awkward, and I'm sure some people would be a bit put off by it...

First of all.  Thank you for your service.

When I was in the Army.  Regardless of duty station. They would march us off to the the hospital.  Line us up. And we would get shots.  No explanation as to what they were.  Nor did we ever ask. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

First of all.  Thank you for your service.

When I was in the Army.  Regardless of duty station. They would march us off to the the hospital.  Line us up. And we would get shots.  No explanation as to what they were.  Nor did we ever ask. 

And thank you for yours as well.

Yeah, the military isn't much for "asking" troops to do anything...As one of my civilian friends used to tell me, "Salute smartly and charge up the hill."

Never had one in my adult life.  Last time I had the flu, I was under the age of 10. 

Why don't I? Laziness.  I don't feel like having to spend time in a clinic (even if its only 15 minutes) for a vaccine that at best has only slightly better than a 50/50 chance of working.

I have nothing against them, won't try to talk anyone out of getting one and don't believe they'll cause any harm, but if it's only a coin flip's chance of preventing it, I just don't care all that much. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I am glad you didn’t but I sure got very sick  that I can remember now I take them every year 

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

1.  I do get a flu shot.

2.  I no longer shake hands.  This took some adjustment, as it's a social norm.

3.  I wash my hands often, even after something as simple as using a shopping cart.  It's been used by dozens of other people that day.

4.  Haven't been sick in 11 years.  I believe steps 2 and 3 are more important than the flu shot.

Bonus info:  studies have shown that hand sanitizers make things worse, not better.  The goop builds up on surfaces (keyboards, door handles, steering wheels, phones) and eventually creates an ideal growing environment for all sorts of bad things.

Second bonus:  kids should be exposed to all sorts of germs.  Their immune systems need to recognize germs, and build antibodies.  If children are overprotected, they will often be much more prone to illness as adults.  Let 'em be kids.  Play outside in the dirt.  Be messy.  Be around other kids who sneeze and cough.  Have fun. 

I would never have expected a person that adheres to item #2 to also agree with your two bonus statements (both of which, for the record, I whole-heartedly agree with).  I'd actually extend your second one to everyone, not just kids.  Adult immune systems shouldn't exist in isolation either. 

The thing with sanitizer isn't so much about building up on external surfaces, but is actually related to your second bonus statement.  Overuse of hand sanitizer kills off your body's ability to build up immunity. 

32 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I would never have expected a person that adheres to item #2 to also agree with your two bonus statements (both of which, for the record, I whole-heartedly agree with).

Haha, I should have clarified that it's nothing to do with germs for me.  I just don't like getting perfume and all the other scented stuff people have on their hands.  Especially sunscreen.  That takes days to go away.

If I'm on a plane and 10 people are sick, I just shrug and figure our ancestors survived worse every day.  No big deal.  The human immune system is a thing of beauty.

Anyone else drink from the garden hose when you were a kid?  All the time.

Interesting topic, Mile!

48 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Haha, I should have clarified that it's nothing to do with germs for me.  I just don't like getting perfume and all the other scented stuff people have on their hands.  Especially sunscreen.  That takes days to go away.

If I'm on a plane and 10 people are sick, I just shrug and figure our ancestors survived worse every day.  No big deal.  The human immune system is a thing of beauty.

Interesting topic, Mile!

Thanks 22.  Trying to continue to keep up with interesting topics during the BB off season.

Just want to add that Howie Madel is OCD, attempts to never shake hands. He will fist pump instead.

Howie Mandel Opens Up About His Germophobia 

I will admit. Upon learning.  When leaving a public restroom. I either use an elbow or paper towel to open the door. 

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Interesting topic, Mile!

If it's 90+ out and I've been landscaping or something similar, I'll still drink from the hose.

3 hours ago, rd726 said:

Have to get one every year for my job.

With out asking what your job is.  I have to ask.  Do they even ask if any one has any allergies?  That's a question that should be asked before administering any type of flu shot.

Or is it required just because they don't want their workers missing work due to the flu.  I once worked for an employer who required a flu shot.  They actually did it themselves. However, I was not required, as the rule came in after I was hired. And I was grandfathered in. So they could not make me take a flu shot. Which I didn't.

I work in a hospital lab.  I think they DO have something to sign if you refuse (their words) to get one.  I haven’t really looked as to what your reasoning has to be though so can’t really comment on that part.  Just know they treat it as almost a “demand”.

I’ll have to look when it’s time because now I’m interested to find out. 

I have got 2 or 3 over the last 20 years. Since I rarely get sick I fall in line with Zline. Why waste my time for something not proven to work on the current years strain that I'm unlikely to catch. 

When I get a bad case od the flu, get older, or if I was in a weakened state, I'll consider taking it. 

Wholeheartedly agree with Madison that people should be exposed to germs as a way to build up your immune system. 

Anecdotal evidence to me suggests that those insulated the most end up with allergies or some other issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had one since October 1999.  March of 2000, I got one of the worst flu cases I ever experienced.  So bad, I developed patchy hair loss that lingered for more than a year.  Doctor told me that flu shots are not designed to last that long.  I went to a new employer who didn't offer onsite flu shots and I've never had another one since.  I'm not opposed to them.  I'm just not going to go to great lengths to get them.

I wash hands regularly and a lot during flu season.

Archived