Romeo Langford signs the alumni wall

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Found out yesterday That I will be attending the football game Saturday

Oh man. I am so happy for you.  Just wish I could join you.   Game in Indy.  And steak at Saint Elmo's.  Something that my day could not get any better for.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I will be in Indy but can't afford St. Elmo's

Yep.  It is. Pricey that is. And I can understand.   Still ....enjoy your time at the game. I will be thinking of you and all our other great IU fans in the stands, while I watch the game in my man cave. 

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

I will say to be a member of tha IU alumni association you neither have had to graduated or attended IU.  There are members that don’t meet either criteria.  Just showing how the designation is clear as mud.

Never graduated IU and I am a member of the IUAA. I graduated from the school of Uncle Sam. Took me 22 yrs.

I love that Romeo signed it down by New Albany...a nice shout-out to his hometown.

I don't care what his 3-point shooting was or that he grabbed the brass NBA ring while he could, Romeo will always be a Hoosier I have fond memories of.  I probably like him a little more just because he gave Cal the finger early in the process.

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I love that Romeo signed it down by New Albany...a nice shout-out to his hometown.

I don't care what his 3-point shooting was or that he grabbed the brass NBA ring while he could, Romeo will always be a Hoosier I have fond memories of.  I probably like him a little more just because he gave Cal the finger early in the process.

Much like Eric Gordon and Cody Zeller....Romeo will be one of the biggest IU recruits of all time...especially the last 2 decades. Forever grateful to him. 

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Much like Eric Gordon and Cody Zeller....Romeo will be one of the biggest IU recruits of all time...especially the last 2 decades. Forever grateful to him. 

Granted. However, I can't wonder what might have happened, had they stayed.  Can we say a NC ?  All were capable of leading IU to the promised land. But chose to move on.  Just wonder what could have been. And perhaps more importantly, what other impact players would have been attracted to IU, should they have stayed for four years.

Love ya 6.  Not a critique of you, in the least.  Just my disdain for the NBA and causing players to leave, long  before leaving their supreme mark on IUBB.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

With Mr. Glass's Student Bill of RIghts.  I imagine all former players have the opportunity to graduate, eventually.  Somehow. Just not the same for me.  And I can understand. Making millions in the NBA. What is the need for a degree ?

Vic graduated in 3 years. He had his degree before draft day.

I think you're confusing Vic and Cody. Cody came back and finished his degree a few years ago, but Vic had his when he declared.

One of the many things I admire about him.

27 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Vic graduated in 3 years. He had his degree before draft day.

I think you're confusing Vic and Cody. Cody came back and finished his degree a few years ago, but Vic had his when he declared.

One of the many things I admire about him.

I knew that Cody came back. Was not aware that he  actually completed. Thanks !  Still can't help but think what might have been, had he stayed.  Can't blame him for chasing the money. Just saying. 

Love Vic.  And his talent as far as a singer is concerned, as well. I can't come up with any modern day Hoosier who worked harder to improve his game.  Hard to imagine that his father did not appreciate Vic's love of the game. And what a former member questioned as far as his talents when Vic first landed on campus.  Remember the night time dunk show at a frat house ? 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

And, he did the same to Duke when they wanted him to go to prep school.  Regardless of how his IU season turned out, Romeo playing high school basketball in Indiana and in his hometown make him a special Hoosier in my eye.  

Edit:  Those of you that do not live in Indiana have no concept on how important Romeo was to basketball in this state.  As a high-schooler, only Damon Bailey is on his level as far as impact.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, he did the same to Duke when they wanted him to go to prep school.  Regardless of how his IU season turned out, Romeo playing high school basketball in Indiana and in his hometown make him a special Hoosier in my eye.  

Not as special. In my eyes. Had he stayed for four years.  Think of how special that could have been.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Not as special. In my eyes. Had he stayed for four years.  Think of how special that could have been.

I was editing my post above as you were typing your response.  Just want you to know the comment was not specifically directed at you.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I was editing my post above as you were typing your response.  Just want you to know the comment was not specifically directed at you.  

Not a problem. I don't live in Indiana... any longer. However, personally I would put Cody Zeller in the same category as Romeo and Damon.  In order for me... Damon, Cody, and then Romeo.  Not saying Romeo was not important.  But for this out of stater, I felt getting Cody was more important. Considering the state of the program at the time.

That's what this great site is all about. Debate. As long as we keep it civil. And not personal.  And I did not take your post as being personal.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not a problem. I don't live in Indiana... any longer. However, personally I would put Cody Zeller in the same category as Romeo and Damon.  In order for me... Damon, Cody, and then Romeo.  Not saying Romeo was not important.  But for this out of stater, I felt getting Cody was more important. Considering the state of the program at the time.

That's what this great site is all about. Debate. As long as we keep it civil. And not personal.  And I did not take your post as being personal.

I'd say they are just about the same. Two down programs taken over by new coaches needing that signature recruit to "endorse" the staff for others to follow. Both fabulous players Cody had a much better team around him but I think both will end up having given the program a boost during a down time! In the end Romeo's future in the NBA could pay similar dividends as Victor's success and hopefully usher in more kids wishing to follow in his footsteps.

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Edit:  Those of you that do not live in Indiana have no concept on how important Romeo was to basketball in this state.  As a high-schooler, only Damon Bailey is on his level as far as impact.

I think those if us that grew up in Indiana do understand. I was aware of Romeo when he was a freshman, and followed his sophomore year to the state championship. 

I don't think people from out of state understand the impact the sport has on Hoosiers. Even Archie was surprised I think. He said as much in his talk in Evansville this past week. I think CAM, even though he's not from Indiana, recognizes what basketball means to this state, and how important it is for the flagship school to do well.

Not unlike one of his famous predecessors...

Couple of things:

1.  I have no issue with Romeo signing the wall. 

2.  I'm more in line with Mile in the alumnus discussion.  I worked my rear end off to graduate from IU and earn that alumni status,  I'd hate to think I could've achieved that status by simply taking a class or "attending" a football game.  Does anyone think Larry Bird considers himself an IU alum/

3. Romeo is/will be very special to basketball in the state of Indiana.  I remember going to one of the Kentucky Derby festival all star practices at NA high school,  a friend pointed out Romeo in the stands (I believe he was a sophomore at the time) and said "The best player in the building tonight isn't playing, he's sitting right there."

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Couple of things:

1.  I have no issue with Romeo signing the wall. 

2.  I'm more in line with Mile in the alumnus discussion.  I worked my rear end off to graduate from IU and earn that alumni status,  I'd hate to think I could've achieved that status by simply taking a class or "attending" a football game.  Does anyone think Larry Bird considers himself an IU alum/

3. Romeo is/will be very special to basketball in the state of Indiana.  I remember going to one of the Kentucky Derby festival all star practices at NA high school,  a friend pointed out Romeo in the stands (I believe he was a sophomore at the time) and said "The best player in the building tonight isn't playing, he's sitting right there."

On point 2

I took a couple of classes at IU and I have never considered myself an Alumni. I know people like myself who took classes or didn’t graduate and they consider themselves Alumni. My personal feelings are if you don’t have a degree from IU you are not an alumnus. But I really don’t care either way just my 2 cents 

59 minutes ago, Cutter said:

On point 2

I took a couple of classes at IU and I have never considered myself an Alumni. I know people like myself who took classes or didn’t graduate and they consider themselves Alumni. My personal feelings are if you don’t have a degree from IU you are not an alumnus. But I really don’t care either way just my 2 cents 

I'm the same.  I'm an IU fan, but a USI alumnus.  I was actually surprised to see the definition posted earlier, but it doesn't tear me up personally either direction.  I want all of IU's great players to sign that wall, but I'm naturally most proud of those who also got their degree, whether or not they got it while playing.  Romeo...don't forget that sheepskin!

5 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Becoming obvious they should have named it for what it was intended for.  Former players wall... 

Yep.  I would fully endorse that, should IU reconsider a name change.

Admit that not always does IU get it right. The first time.  For instance. It was great to see the names returned to the FB jerseys for this season.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, milehiiu said:

With Mr. Glass's Student Bill of RIghts.  I imagine all former players have the opportunity to graduate, eventually.  Somehow. Just not the same for me.  And I can understand. Making millions in the NBA. What is the need for a degree ?

But think about the exposure IU basketball gets for doing this. Lottery draft pick is welcomed here anytime and let’s have him sign our board so when recruits come in they can picture being on that board with a player that those kids looked up to and was the first lottery Pick for Archie Miller!

Archived