Romeo Langford signs the alumni wall

17 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

But think about the exposure IU basketball gets for doing this. Lottery draft pick is welcomed here anytime and let’s have him sign our board so when recruits come in they can picture being on that board with a player that those kids looked up to and was the first lottery Pick for Archie Miller!

I love the idea of having a wall with pics of former IU players who have gone on to play for pay.  Whether they got a degree or not.  Great idea !  Cook Hall.  Wall of memories. 

Just change the name of the Alumni board. And I am all in as well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I love the idea of having a wall with pics of former IU players who have gone on to play for pay.  Whether they got a degree or not.  Great idea !  Cook Hall.  Wall of memories. 

Just change the name of the Alumni board. And I am all in as well.

What about having a fan vote and have fans name the board!

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I might be mistaken but am Alum is anyone who attended and a graduate earned a degree? Right?

Absolutely correct.  Although most assume it means graduation, it can also refer to a former member of a group, company or organization.  As it is a basketball alumni board, any former player should be permitted to add their signature.

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

What about having a fan vote and have fans name the board!

I like that idea as well. 

I vote for :  Former BB players signature board.

Then. Put a wall up in Cook Hall with pictures of former BB players who went on to play for pay.  Not just for visiting recruits. But also for the fans. 

Then. Put a wall up in Cook Hall with pictures of former BB players who went on to play for pay.  Not just for visiting recruits. But also for the fans. 

Maybe we should get someone popular to bring it up to the team and see what happens???

Mixed feelings about the play for pay wall. I get the potential appeal to recruits and maybe fans, but it has a bit of a Kentucky feel to it. 

Does IU recognize a brief stint in the NBA or playing internationally  above Dr Green, Dr Ahlfeld, Chris Reynolds, PhD, and on and on?

Not sure about the message that’s conveyed by differentiating recognition of former players by whether they played professionally 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Mixed feelings about the play for pay wall. I get the potential appeal to recruits and maybe fans, but it has a bit of a Kentucky feel to it. 

Does IU recognize a brief stint in the NBA or playing internationally  above Dr Green, Dr Ahlfeld, Chris Reynolds, PhD, and on and on?

Not sure about the message that’s conveyed by differentiating recognition of former players by whether they played professionally 

Hear ya.  Would not call it a pay for play wall.  That's my term for this topic.  Just label it as former IU players that continued playing after leaving IU.  AND.... there are a ton of them. Including Jordan Hulls.

I am sure there would be visiting recruits impressed by that.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is sports these kids are going to be impressed by who they see on tv and or play professionally... when you’re hosting a kid for academics don’t the academic buildings have famous people that have been to the university... it promotes the school in a way that is recognizable. It levels the playing field and isn’t illegal and has been done for years by pretty much every university in some capacity. Why are you asking for players who play sports to be impressed by people that aren’t as recognizable when the goal of every recruit is the same get to the league not get a doctorate 

A) In the strict definition, alumnus means student or specifically, former student.  In the commonly accepted lexicon, alumnus means "former student/member/employee/etc".  Even if the term "alumni" is often associated with "graduate/degree holder", this board isn't claiming that they are an alumnus of Indiana University......it's claiming they're an alumnus of IU Basketball.  Trying to call it a "former players wall" or something similar has the same effect as all the other politically correct nomenclature that's used today.  It screams "We're intentionally not calling this 'X'! Don't think about 'X' when you're reading this name!" It's clunky and contrived. 

On 9/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, IU4Ever said:

Absolutely correct.  Although most assume it means graduation, it can also refer to a former member of a group, company or organization.  As it is a basketball alumni board, any former player should be permitted to add their signature.

B) I agree with the above, but with one asterisk: any former player...that ended their collegiate career at IU in good standing.  Graduated? Sign it.  Left early for the NBA, but had all other affairs in order? Sign it.  Career ending injury? Sign it. Transferred? No.  Kicked off and then drafted? No. 

Archived