Ball State Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just got home from the game and it was good to get the win but did not come away real impressed with their play.  It should have been a blowout but those two interceptions and the 5 drop passes just let BSU stay in the game.  Whop and Westbrook dropped sure TD"S and Whop dropped two more as well.  both INT's were on Penix with the first one not reading the coverage and he other was just a over throw.  I was expecting out OL to dominate the line of scrimmage and run down their throats but could not really get the ground game going.  could not believe when they showed the stats after 3 and we actually had 117 yards rushing.

On D it seemed like our DB's had some broken coverages and let guys get wide open in the middle of the field.  Did not have a great pass rush early but it did get better as the game went along.  I am happy with a win because in the past this would have been a loss so I will take any win when it comes to IU football

westbrook's drop would not have been a touchdown as the ball was severely underthrown. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, coachv said:

westbrook's drop would not have been a touchdown as the ball was severely underthrown. 

I was right at that end zone and it sure looked like it to me.  If not a TD it would have been inside the 10 and would probably had another score.  Another thing when people complained about not having names on the back of the jersey it does not really matter when you are at the game.  I could not read any of the names on the back of the jersey even when they were in front of where I was sitting.

Certainly some things that were concerning.  But also a lot of positives.

I bet the D puts in a lot of work on tackling this week.

Penix showed a lot of promise for a guy with roughly 30 pass attempts in his career.   I think there will be drastic improvement in the offense the next few weeks as he gets experience. 

Run game is the thing that was most worrisome.   Must get a better push at line of scrimmage.   Didn't think our RBs were very patient either. 

3 hours ago, Andy06 said:

Certainly some things that were concerning.  But also a lot of positives.

I bet the D puts in a lot of work on tackling this week.

Penix showed a lot of promise for a guy with roughly 30 pass attempts in his career.   I think there will be drastic improvement in the offense the next few weeks as he gets experience. 

Run game is the thing that was most worrisome.   Must get a better push at line of scrimmage.   Didn't think our RBs were very patient either. 

yes, penix sure can sling it. was hoping oc would call some runs for him after the two picks. sure enough. very excited about penix with our new oc

22 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I had hoped we would come out and win 42-10, but I'm not terribly disappointed in how we played.  I think a lot of the things we struggled with are things we can improve.  Tackling obviously needs work, and our WRs need to catch the ball.  If we could have caught some easy passes, we would have won a lot easier.  That should get better going forward.

I was really happy with our special teams outside of the kicks out of bounds.  Justus was obviously amazing.  Ellis looks like he could be a weapon on kickoff returns.  We had a handful of kickoffs into the end zone, and even Smolar booted a couple a lot better than last year.  Whitehead was terrific on his few kicks, especially the one he bombed inside the 10.

I was also really happy with Hendershot.  He looked good on his catches today.  With our talented WR, it will be a huge boost having a good pass catching TE.

Penix definitely showed flashes of potential.  Had some nice deep throws, got out of the pocket and moved really well.  He wasn't shy about taking a hit either.  There were a lot of positive signs from him.  If Westbrook wouldn't have dropped that long pass, he would have been getting close to a top 10 all time passing day for us (385 is tied for 10th).

We probably would have been somewhere close to that score without the two silly interceptions.  I think the kid did OK, but like I said in another thread, I still worry about him becoming an interception machine, especially when we face better defenses and he gets more pressure.  Time will tell with him, I guess.  Ball State had excellent field position to start out with most of the game.  They scored after both interceptions.  Clean that up, and concentrate on tackling drills going forward, and the scores should get more to your liking.

3 hours ago, coachv said:

yes, penix sure can sling it. was hoping oc would call some runs for him after the two picks. sure enough. very excited about penix with our new oc

Agree with you. Hey coach, I think the offense was dialed down.  Coach Allen talked about opening up the O this season.  And  I am thinking , we won't see that happen, until the B1G gets underway.   Just my thought.

Granted. We did not put up 79 points against our opponent, like Nebraska and Maryland.  But did we really need to ?  I say, save it for the B1G.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Agree with you. Hey coach, I think the offense was dialed down.  Coach Allen talked about opening up the O this season.  And  I am thinking , we won't see that happen, until the B1G gets underway.   Just my thought.

Granted. We did not put up 79 points against our opponent, like Nebraska and Maryland.  But did we really need to ?  I say, save it for the B1G.

love seeing the tight end involved, something that should have been done with ian thomas, whose skills were largely wasted under our previous oc

Archived