Active shooter drills or training

milehiiu

School shootings may be our society's greatest failure.  Even more so than the drug epidemic. 

When I heard of the shooting today, my first thought was that I can't wait for my kids to be out of school so this does not happen to them.  That's sad when you think about it.  A parent wanting a child to grow up because they can't adequately protect them from evil.

And, it was the first thing my kids wanted to talk about when they got home.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

School shootings may be our society's greatest failure.  Even more so than the drug epidemic. 

When I heard of the shooting today, my first thought was that I can't wait for my kids to be out of school so this does not happen to them.  That's sad when you think about it.  A parent wanting a child to grow up because they can't adequately protect them from evil.

And, it was the first thing my kids wanted to talk about when they got home.

So. I take it your kids were aware of the shooting while they were in school.  Not unusual given cell phone and access to social media in these days.

Harken  back to a time of old. When I was in high school. I was allowed to leave on a daily basis,  study hall early,  to do a  daily news show on our radio station.  On November 22, 1963.... I was told to leave even earlier than normal,  and get down to the radio station immediately.  Being a teenager, being released from study hall, earlier than normal was a delight. But still curious as to why.

When I got to the radio station. The director handed me a teletype.  And told me to get into the broadcast room. And when he cued me to read the teletype over the air. I got in. Set myself up in front of the microphone. Headsets on.  Not having read the teletype yet.  He gave me the cue. And that's when I learned that President Kennedy had been shot. As I read the teletype for the first time.

Minutes, later,  the director handed me  another teletype to read over the air.  President Kennedy was dead.

One of the most memorable times and experiences in my life.

I can only imagine what was going through your kids minds today. Give them a hug for me. And tell them you love them.

Americans are some of the most negative people on the planet. We are bombarded by negativity everyday. Without a positive force in someone's life bad outcomes can/will happen. I just try to be nice to people because I may be the only one that day. 

And food for thought, most school shooters are students, so a potential shooter will be going through active shooter training/drills the same as everyone else.

46 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Americans are some of the most negative people on the planet. We are bombarded by negativity everyday. Without a positive force in someone's life bad outcomes can/will happen. I just try to be nice to people because I may be the only one that day. 

And food for thought, most school shooters are students, so a potential shooter will be going through active shooter training/drills the same as everyone else.

True. Very true. And sad as well.  Although there was no active school shooting training at the time that Columbine happened, just miles from where I live in Colorado. The killers were students.  And most anytime there is a shooting, the media refers back to Columbine.  Where the police held back from entering the school, while kids continued to get shot and killed. So... we have learned a lot from that.  Enter immediately. In order to save lives.  The memory of one Columbine student attempting to escape out of a window while being shot, still resonates in my mind.

We've got to find a way to do better. To put an end to this. Kids should not be afraid to go to school.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

We've got to find a way to do better. To put an end to this. Kids should not be afraid to go to school.

We have a current online society that LOVES to talk smack (as if they are the worlds expert)  and everyone who disagrees is an idiot on the internet. But when reality hits them in the face …….. well? Until we all figure out how to get along with even those who come from a different place in the world, things are only going to get worse! Including school shootings! Came of age during one of the most influential  liberal times in our nation, the 60's.It was mostly about Love and Peace! Seems this current liberal  uprising is all about Hatred, Blame and overthrow! As a 60's liberal I am appalled! Put me on the "Crazy Train" that wonders what would the world be like, if the US and Russia could be friends? I say this as a person who's best friend in the world is Russian! Today, has me in prayer, not just for those who's lives have been changed forever, but also for the direction of this nation!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

We have a current online society that LOVES to talk smack (as if they are the worlds expert)  and everyone who disagrees is an idiot on the internet. But when reality hits them in the face …….. well? Until we all figure out how to get along with even those who come from a different place in the world, things are only going to get worse! Including school shootings! Came of age during one of the most influential  liberal times in our nation, the 60's.It was mostly about Love and Peace! Seems this current liberal  uprising is all about Hatred, Blame and overthrow! As a 60's liberal I am appalled! Put me on the "Crazy Train" that wonders what would the world be like, if the US and Russia could be friends? I say this as a person who's best friend in the world is Russian! Today, has me in prayer, not just for those who's lives have been changed forever, but also for the direction of this nation!

A powerful post. One I can't thank you enough for posting.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

True. Very true. And sad as well.  Although there was no active school shooting training at the time that Columbine happened, just miles from where I live in Colorado. The killers were students.  And most anytime there is a shooting, the media refers back to Columbine.  Where the police held back from entering the school, while kids continued to get shot and killed. So... we have learned a lot from that.  Enter immediately. In order to save lives.  The memory of one Columbine student attempting to escape out of a window while being shot, still resonates in my mind.

As a former educator its sickening that many of us would talk about who at our school would be capable of doing that. Yet what do we do to help? I unfortunately have been involved in 1 gun issue at school, thankfully no violence occurred and another incident that a student slit the throat of another student and if not for quick action by a trained teacher that student would have been killed. 

I am going to toe and maybe cross the line.  American has decided to kick GOD out of the schools and invite evil in

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

As a former educator its sickening that many of us would talk about who at our school would be capable of doing that. Yet what do we do to help? I unfortunately have been involved in 1 gun issue at school, thankfully no violence occurred and another incident that a student slit the throat of another student and if not for quick action by a trained teacher that student would have been killed. 

I am going to toe and maybe cross the line.  American has decided to kick GOD out of the schools and invite evil in

If I created a list of the kids who I thought were potential School shooters and have my co teachers do the same thing we'd all come up with the same list of kids. I've had one student that I know of bring a gun to school he got expelled from my school went across town and that's where he got caught with the gun.  Guess what his mom told the news? That he was bullied. This kid was the biggest kid in the class and was the biggest bully.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I could go on for days and cross all the lines giving my ideas on what ills society.

But what you said and fatherless households would be at the top of the list. 

I've mentioned this before in the past, maybe not this board exactly but many of these same people.  

Back when I taught at one of the state juvenile detention centers I polled all of my students 80% of them had no relationship with their father.  Only 20% claimed any relationship.   Only 8% actually lived with their father.  Iirc about 50% weren't being raised by either parent.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've mentioned this before in the past, maybe not this board exactly but many of these same people.  

Back when I taught at one of the state juvenile detention centers I polled all of my students 80% of them had no relationship with their father.  Only 20% claimed any relationship.   Only 8% actually lived with their father.  Iirc about 50% weren't being raised by either parent.  

Those are some sobering statistics.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

That is just sad.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We are toeing the line, but as with most things here, keep it civil and nobody will have any issues.  And I'd say most of our members won't have an issue with that. And I don't usually say this, but given the topic....the views from here on out in this thread are my own and in no way reflect that of HSN as an entity yadda yadda...

In regards to your statement, I don't disagree, but only partially agree.  Morality, ethics and tolerance can be taught and learned independent of religion.  A lot of times, they are interwoven, but they don't have to be.  The issue is that when a lot of religious aspects were removed from public schools, these things went with it.  And they're hard concepts to grasp, let alone teach to children.  They can't be measured, tested, and have inherent degrees of ambiguity to them. 

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

We are toeing the line, but as with most things here, keep it civil and nobody will have any issues.  And I'd say most of our members won't have an issue with that. And I don't usually say this, but given the topic....the views from here on out in this thread are my own and in no way reflect that of HSN as an entity yadda yadda...

In regards to your statement, I don't disagree, but only partially agree.  Morality, ethics and tolerance can be taught and learned independent of religion.  A lot of times, they are interwoven, but they don't have to be.  The issue is that when a lot of religious aspects were removed from public schools, these things went with it.  And they're hard concepts to grasp, let alone teach to children.  They can't be measured, tested, and have inherent degrees of ambiguity to them. 

Of course but many are not getting those things at home so school was the only place morality and the golden rule etc were being taught. Public education has had their hands tied and we are seeing it across the board in our society.  

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Public education has had their hands tied and we are seeing it across the board in our society.  

Do they? If a kindergarten student were to hit another kindergarten student, is it against accepted policies/whatever for the teacher to explain to the student that hitting is wrong because it's not something we would want others to do to us? Is it against policies to explain to two older students caught cheating that cheating is in effect stealing, because you're taking the work of someone else and claiming it for your own?

The issue is twofold.  One, teachers have a very careful line that has to be walked if they were to do this, but it can be done.  Nobody is formulating these types of situations in order to pass this on to teachers as they are learning though.  But, the bigger issue is, teachers have to be willing to take a stand.  Toe the line if you have to, but dig your heels in at the same time.  If parents want to kvetch about explaining the golden rule to their child, flip the situation.  Ask specifically what was wrong about it? If your word choice, tone of voice and emotions are considered and kept in check, there isn't a damn thing anyone can complain about. 

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Do they? If a kindergarten student were to hit another kindergarten student, is it against accepted policies/whatever for the teacher to explain to the student that hitting is wrong because it's not something we would want others to do to us? Is it against policies to explain to two older students caught cheating that cheating is in effect stealing, because you're taking the work of someone else and claiming it for your own?

The issue is twofold.  One, teachers have a very careful line that has to be walked if they were to do this, but it can be done.  Nobody is formulating these types of situations in order to pass this on to teachers as they are learning though.  But, the bigger issue is, teachers have to be willing to take a stand.  Toe the line if you have to, but dig your heels in at the same time.  If parents want to kvetch about explaining the golden rule to their child, flip the situation.  Ask specifically what was wrong about it? If your word choice, tone of voice and emotions are considered and kept in check, there isn't a damn thing anyone can complain about. 

I won't argue with you on that but that is not correct.  My wife works in elementary school and children with IEP or other emotional issues have done some very violent things with little to no repercussions. I will leave it at that. Teachers hands are tied. We can dress.it up as nicely as we want but in the real world of education the parents have the upper hand and most administrators are too scared to take a stand for their teachers.  Kids and parents know this. Many teachers are just trying to get by day to day. Most went into the profession to make a difference to change lives to build relationships and most of that has been taken away 

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I taught for 9 and 1/2 years before getting on the fire department. School administrations do not want to kick kids out, expel them, because of the tax dollars that is attached to each head.  In Indiana it's an average of $8,500 per student, general education students are less, special education students are more. 

Ding ding ding we have a winner

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Ding ding ding we have a winner

Principals are allowed to suspend for up to two weeks out of school suspension. Schools also get penalized for dipping below 95% attendance on the year. My principal had it down to a science to know how we could stay above 95% and in the last two weeks she would give 2 weeks suspensions out like candy to troublemaking kids

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Principles are allowed to suspend for up to two weeks out of school suspension. Schools also get penalized for dipping below 95% attendance on the year. My principal had it down to a science to know how we could stay above 95% and in the last two weeks she would give 2 weeks suspensions out like candy to troublemaking kids

The kids and many parents know how to play this game. My son goes to an elementary school where a few kids have brought weapons to school. Not a football helmet either...nothing but continued slaps on the wrist. When you look to transfer you find the same types of stories. 

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Have to say, living in one of the poorest counties in the southeast, I know a couple of teachers. They tell of many stories of parental failure! The worst stories revolve around the FACT that literally half the county is functionally illiterate!!

They tell of family peer pressure that stops children from learning!

"You think you are better than us?"

58 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have to say, living in one of the poorest counties in the southeast, I know a couple of teachers. They tell of many stories of parental failure! The worst stories revolve around the FACT that literally half the county is functionally illiterate!!

This is some of the negativity I'm talking about. We should all try to lift each up especially if we care about them.  It's very pretty to wish for failure or hold someone back. 

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

That's child abuse as far as I'm concerned.

Archived