2020 Open spot left

68Hoosier

OK, assuming we only take one more for next year.  I know a lot of folks are saying Garcia but when I look at the roster I feel like we need a true back up PG and not a big.  What I am missing here or is there someone who can play the point that I don't know about?

RP and maybe Al.....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we've got a ton of eggs in the Kristian Lander basket, a 2021 PG from Evansville.  He's the top PG in his class, and reportedly an Indiana lean.  And so I think Archie is going to run with Phinisee, with Al and Armaan as backups.  

Also, Archie said a week ago that he'd take 4-6 for this class.  I think one more is definitely a likely outcome, but you never know.

I'm of the opinion that you MUST have two serviceable bigs on the roster.  That, to me, means at least 6'10" and willing to guard the opposing 5.  We have 2 this year, one senior next year.  Trayce can likely hold it down, but then we're just putting our best player in foul trouble, like what happened with Juwan this year.  And so I'd like to see us get Loveday AND Garcia, or maybe some other as yet unidentified target.  

12 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

OK, assuming we only take one more for next year.  I know a lot of folks are saying Garcia but when I look at the roster I feel like we need a true back up PG and not a big.  What I am missing here or is there someone who can play the point that I don't know about?

RP and maybe Al.....

Sounds like from his Speech in Evansville the AL is going to play some backup PG this year so I think he will be capable.

6 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

RP and maybe Al.....

3rd year Al is what CAM is planning I would think unless Love gives us some love. Any PG multi year interferes with Lander.

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I think we've got a ton of eggs in the Kristian Lander basket, a 2021 PG from Evansville.  He's the top PG in his class, and reportedly an Indiana lean.  And so I think Archie is going to run with Phinisee, with Al and Armaan as backups.  

Also, Archie said a week ago that he'd take 4-6 for this class.  I think one more is definitely a likely outcome, but you never know.

I'm of the opinion that you MUST have two serviceable bigs on the roster.  That, to me, means at least 6'10" and willing to guard the opposing 5.  We have 2 this year, one senior next year.  Trayce can likely hold it down, but then we're just putting our best player in foul trouble, like what happened with Juwan this year.  And so I'd like to see us get Loveday AND Garcia, or maybe some other as yet unidentified target.  

I can see that side as well, I just feel like that college basketball today is a guard oriented game.  I think that either way we need a PG and a Big in the next two classes.  

15 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

How can he take 6 in this class..only 4 open spots..you take 6 then we are back to the days of Crean and I don’t want to go down that path anymore...get a big or save the 4th open spot for next year...’21 class .

12 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

How can he take 6 in this class..only 4 open spots..you take 6 then we are back to the days of Crean and I don’t want to go down that path anymore...get a big or save the 4th open spot for next year...’21 class .

Someone will transfer.  Demazi, for example, is there going to be a solid part of the rotation this season or he's gone especially with Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo coming in.  Trayce could also break out and bolt.  Now I'd be shocked if we took 6 but 5 wouldn't surprise me at all.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Someone will transfer.  Demazi, for example, is there going to be a solid part of the rotation this season or he's gone especially with Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo coming in.  Trayce could also break out and bolt.  Now I'd be shocked if we took 6 but 5 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Are you saying Trace as is in one and done or transfer out?  

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I was thinking Demazi or Race being the likely transfer possibilities.  I hope they both stay as I think we need some stability in the team.   I also think a wild card may be Hunter and if he is able to play moving forward.

Kids transfer.  I understand.  But, the order of operations should be kid transfers and team/coaches adjust.  It should not be team/coaches oversign and kid transfers because someone had to.

In my opinion, it raises the question as to why a coach would ever use all 13 schollies, let alone try to squeeze in a 14th or 15th.  

Show me a coach that can win a championship with 13 players and I will show you the same coach and prove he can win with 11 or 12.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You would be Archie's type of player.  All business and leave the 'flash' at the door.  But, would you buy into the pack-line defense?0

In my prime I would have been their best 3 point shooter last year but is that saying much. By the way defense was never in my vocabulary.

38 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

If we get Garcia we won't need to get anyone else. A 6-11 impact post player is just what we need to round out this class.

Garcia is more a 4 than even Trayce. He will not matchup well against 5s. Trayce has a stronger body to bang and more of a post game then Garcia. Garcia prefers to face up.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Garcia is more a 4 than even Trayce. He will not matchup well against 5s. Trayce has a stronger body to bang and more of a post game then Garcia. Garcia prefers to face up.

Exactly this.  Garcia is listed between 210-220 lbs at 6-10ish.  That's not a banger, in my humble opinion.   😁

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kids transfer.  I understand.  But, the order of operations should be kid transfers and team/coaches adjust.  It should not be team/coaches oversign and kid transfers because someone had to.

In my opinion, it raises the question as to why a coach would ever use all 13 schollies, let alone try to squeeze in a 14th or 15th.  

Show me a coach that can win a championship with 13 players and I will show you the same coach and prove he can win with 11 or 12.

I agree...that said this coach only has 7 of his recruits on it this year and 10 so far next year at this point not counting any misses on his part. He likely had a couple recruits of his that he felt pressured to take because the old team lacked certain players but the closer he gets to his ideal team with his own players I think the less chance you over sign. I think a couple recruits he has eyes on will be spring commitments and he has a pretty good feeling 1 or 2 will not be back next year based on nba or transfer. He knows the pulse of his team. I don’t think he over signs...by the time he signs possible 5th or 6th guy there will already be an opening.

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

Exactly this.  Garcia is listed between 210-220 lbs at 6-10ish.  That's not a banger, in my humble opinion.   😁

Watch his game too. We would do a disservice to him to put him at the 5. Kid is uber talented but belongs at the 4 and either high block or facing up on the perimeter because he is so much more talented dribble drive or shooting then say Trayce.

Archived