2020 Open spot left

68Hoosier

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The possibility of a 5 or 6 man class this year seems odd after we've heard in the past that Archie prefers not to use all 13 scholarships, hence having fewer than the allotted number of scholarship players on the roster this year.

I agree.  I was glad to hear Archie say that when he did.  Always leave at least one open in case a game-changing grad transfer comes your way.

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Watch his game too. We would do a disservice to him to put him at the 5. Kid is uber talented but belongs at the 4 and either high block or facing up on the perimeter because he is so much more talented dribble drive or shooting then say Trayce.

Quite impressive with the ball in his hands...strong driver.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Kids transfer.  I understand.  But, the order of operations should be kid transfers and team/coaches adjust.  It should not be team/coaches oversign and kid transfers because someone had to.

In my opinion, it raises the question as to why a coach would ever use all 13 schollies, let alone try to squeeze in a 14th or 15th.  

Show me a coach that can win a championship with 13 players and I will show you the same coach and prove he can win with 11 or 12.

Fouls I know this is your personal boogie man and all, but the thing is the conversations with players (really, at any DI school) are ongoing, all season, and leading up to end-of-year meeting. It's not like a coach just says hey, I just filled your spot. We've been down this road before, there are teams with 11 players, and there are teams with more. And there are teams, like us last year, that go through multiple injuries and have trouble fielding a squad. You have to have players, and you have to be ready to adjust for all kinds of reasons.

^^^  CoachSS raises what I believe to be a great point.  In terms of transfers. And a coach striving to protect his program.

Been following college basketball for more years than I care to share. Just say. Decades.  Never in the old days. Were there as many transfers on the college scene as we have been experiencing, in the last handful of years.

Understanding the turmoil of Sampsongate.  However, I can't think of how hard Coach Crean worked to talk Jordan Crawford from transferring. It was not going to work.  Oh poor me. Coach Dakich had the poor kid running stairs. And Coach Crean said I had to go to class, when Sampson never insisted on it.    That's why, IMHO, a HC has always got to be on the lookout, and prepared for the "what if".

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fouls I know this is your personal boogie man and all, but the thing is the conversations with players (really, at any DI school) are ongoing, all season, and leading up to end-of-year meeting. It's not like a coach just says hey, I just filled your spot. We've been down this road before, there are teams with 11 players, and there are teams with more. And there are teams, like us last year, that go through multiple injuries and have trouble fielding a squad. You have to have players, and you have to be ready to adjust for all kinds of reasons.

The top programs do not fill all 13 schollies.  They don't have to.  They win with 11 or 12 and leave one open just in case a special opportunity falls in their lap.  And, player 11 and 12 are not contributors either.  Winning teams have an 8 or 9 man rotation with player #10 on standby if needed.  If there is more than one injury, the rotation tightens and 11 and 12 still do not play.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The top programs do not fill all 13 schollies.  They don't have to.  They win with 11 or 12 and leave one open just in case a special opportunity falls in their lap.  And, player 11 and 12 are not contributors either.  Winning teams have an 8 or 9 man rotation with player #10 on standby if needed.  If there is more than one injury, the rotation tightens and 11 and 12 still do not play.  

The issue is we aren’t even close to that level yet. We don’t even know who will work out and be those top 8 quality guys for us. I mean we aren’t even a tournament team. Who knows if any of these kids will work out or which specific ones. It isn’t purely numbers and hoping to hit on two or three but honestly we haven’t identified our core yet. Who knows if Damezi, Justin, Race or even any of the new kids will reach that potential or be what we need so at this point we need to fill the coffers with as many gold coins as possible until this thing turns around and then we can be more selective and zero in on just 8-10 guys. That’s why you see teams trade back to collect extra picks in the draft...when you have a bunch of avg talent if you want to unearth those rare gems you need more shots at the well. I think Archie is close to getting the roster the way he envisioned it but since it seems he wasn’t allowed to turn it all over at once he has had to churn it a bit at a time over these past few years. 

I don’t want to speculate on which kid or kids might leave etc. I trust that Archie knows his program and these kids so closely that he knows what is on their mind and has their best interest at heart along with what is best for the program. He would be the first to know who might go and stay and if he wants to target an extra scholarship for a kid then I’ll trust he knows why and it’s for the best of the team. Im not going to sit on my couch and second guess I know better than Archie why he is doing what he is doing. I don’t need to worry how the sausage is made...it just needs to be delicious!

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

To play devils advocate. Many of the top programs have solid foundations to build on. A program in place and many some 1 and done players. So if you carry 12 and miss on a guy or even 2 and they do not pan out for you they have the talent to overcome the recruiting mistake. For us we have to IMO fill all spots.  Maybe that will change but until we dont have to count on guys 11-13 to do anything more than boost the APR and be the bench mob i prefer as much talent and volume as we can get. We saw last year how the unexpected things over the course of a season arise.  Take as many as you can if they line up with what the staff wants to accomplish 

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

he is so much more talented dribble drive or shooting then say Trayce.

I disagree with that. I've only seen highlights of Garcia's game, and he does have some get to the basket skills, but I've watched full games of TJD, and he can dribble-drive really well. From what I've seen, his handle is better than Garcia as well.

I think Garcia could be used like Iowa uses Luka Garza. A 5 that does have perimeter skills, and an outside shot.

I'm not looking for him to be Brad Daugherty...but I'm not looking for him to be Brad Lohaus either...

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I disagree with that. I've only seen highlights of Garcia's game, and he does have some get to the basket skills, but I've watched full games of TJD, and he can dribble-drive really well. From what I've seen, his handle is better than Garcia as well.

I think Garcia could be used like Iowa uses Luka Garza. A 5 that does have perimeter skills, and an outside shot.

I'm not looking for him to be Brad Daugherty...but I'm not looking for him to be Brad Lohaus either...

I agree, TJD can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim. He doesnt have 3 point range yet, but hes far from a back to the basket type player. Thats why I think he is our 4

On 9/5/2019 at 10:34 AM, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree, TJD can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim. He doesnt have 3 point range yet, but hes far from a back to the basket type player. Thats why I think he is our 4

I agree he is more a 4...but next year we only have one traditional center on the roster. Trayce will play at the 5 spot some no doubt. 

On 9/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, 5fouls said:

If the roster spot is filled, it should be a big.  Rob will be a Jr. that season an likely a 32-35 minute a game guy.  Meanwhile, Davis will have graduated and Brunk is not a 32-35 minute guy.  Defensively, you need that extra big body.

trayce should be able to fill davis' shoes. only an inch shorter, more agile, better jumper, strong lower body, and an outside game to draw a big away from the basket. he'll play taller than davis. 

3 hours ago, coachv said:

trayce should be able to fill davis' shoes. only an inch shorter, more agile, better jumper, strong lower body, and an outside game to draw a big away from the basket. he'll play taller than davis. 

I love De'ron but he is not an above the rim type player

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I love De'ron but he is not an above the rim type player

he's my favorite player on the team but i don't think he is capable of dunking the ball. i can't recall any guy his size that couldn't other than him. i know the staff is trying to slim him down a bunch. wonder if he will be able to dunk this season?

16 minutes ago, coachv said:

he's my favorite player on the team but i don't think he is capable of dunking the ball. i can't recall any guy his size that couldn't other than him. i know the staff is trying to slim him down a bunch. wonder if he will be able to dunk this season?

A torn Achilles is rough to recover from

58FD7661-425D-4090-98F3-6FE0CFDB2500.jpeg

ED2CC995-7A82-45ED-B9D1-B62EBE43388E.jpeg

Archived