2020 Open spot left

68Hoosier

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, coachv said:

because he has never played a minute of college ball. therefore none of us have seen him play

There are several guys every year that we have not seen play college ball and know they are OAD.  My take is that he will be the 1 that could be a OAD with TJD next  likely . Last fall I can tell you that sitting courtside watching practice Hunter was the best player on the floor.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:40 PM, CoachSS said:

Indiana is not and has not over-recruited. Those who count scholarships or try to project future rosters are... people of old. 

Given the NCAA transfer rate, the willingness of some to seek professional opportunities sooner and the hordes of "me-first" kids coming into college... There's a reason every coach, to a man, will use the phrase "fluid" when referencing rosters.

Indiana isn't over-recruiting. I expect a 4 or 5-man class. Enough about that. 

Great points but I do have a question. Let's say CAM ultimately does want to take 5, but can't get the fifth that he wants. He's willing to sit on it for 2021, right? Or even further, what if he doesn't get the fourth that he wants, does he sit on that too?

1 hour ago, T-Free20 said:

Great points but I do have a question. Let's say CAM ultimately does want to take 5, but can't get the fifth that he wants. He's willing to sit on it for 2021, right? Or even further, what if he doesn't get the fourth that he wants, does he sit on that too?

I would say it would depend on if there is a need that he has to fill. If there is he could be in the market for a grad transfer if necessary.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you think Garcia is highly likely

That's getting a tad optimistic and I don't think it's what he was saying...just that Archie has several 2020 lines in the water and it would be a surprise if no one bit.

Certainly, it's clear to Garcia that IU wants him and intends to surround him with talent.  That's got to be attractive, but only time will tell if it's the most attractive to Garcia.

26 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

No. I think a 4th is highly likely. Is it Garcia? I sure hope so. Indiana will have as good a chance as Marquette and UNC, I firmly believe. 

The playing time will be there. I feel like Archie and Ostrom have a good report with the kid. We’ve heard Leal and Galloway are in talks with him. We should have a decent team surrounding him. I feel like it just takes one of these types of recruits to open up the floodgates for others.

Some don't look at class rankings whereas some do.  I know a lot can change as a good chunk of players still have yet to commit for 2020, however as of today we sit with the 3rd best class at a score of 56.86.  If we add Dawson Garcia(our top priority) that pushes us to a score of 63.98(would be #1 class ranking for 2020 currently).  If we add say Hassan Diarra along with Dawson to the mix it'd push us to a score of 66.03. 

When all the commits end up choosing a school, I feel like if we can add Dawson we have a top 10 class for 2020.  If we add Diarra in addition to Dawson we might move up a spot.  Very exciting with what all is going on in terms of recruiting and buzz with what Archie is doing on and off the court.  I am excited for this upcoming season(I think we make the big dance and improve our win total by 3/4) but I'm even more excited about the future that Archie has IU heading. 

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

It speaks to Archie’s recruiting ability even while the on court product is still shaky to say best that he is still pulling national recruits like Geronimo and in the running for Garcia and Diarra.

He’s had a nice bounce back on the recruiting trail since the spring, but those types of recruits are going to consider/commit to IU no matter who the coach is or how bad the on-court product is.  No IU coach in recent memory has had trouble landing that caliber of recruit.

That being said, if he’s able to land Garcia, it’ll end up being a fantastic class.

35 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He’s had a nice bounce back on the recruiting trail since the spring, but those types of recruits are going to consider/commit to IU no matter who the coach is or how bad the on-court product is.  No IU coach in recent memory has had trouble landing that caliber of recruit.

That being said, if he’s able to land Garcia, it’ll end up being a fantastic class.

Well...at the end Crean sure left the cupboard bare. I mean how many years was it since we landed Mr. Basketball? We’ve landed 2 straight with a shot at 3 and in the lead to possibly land 4 with either Kaufman or Lander. I agree it’s still early and eventually we have to translate it on the court but Archie is starting to stack up some nice talent on this team. Might not happen this year or even next but by 21 we could see a dang good team that could make a run at the B1G title and more.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well...at the end Crean sure left the cupboard bare. I mean how many years was it since we landed Mr. Basketball? We’ve landed 2 straight with a shot at 3 and in the lead to possibly land 4 with either Kaufman or Lander. I agree it’s still early and eventually we have to translate it on the court but Archie is starting to stack up some nice talent on this team. Might not happen this year or even next but by 21 we could see a dang good team that could make a run at the B1G title and more.

Creans recruiting failures at the end are entirely on Fred and not Crean.  That's what happens when you leave a coach on life support.  That's exactly what will happen in 2021 if this season is a disappointment and a change isn't made.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Crean landed a four star and two three stars in his much-maligned last recruiting class, which isn’t all that different from the class Archie has put together for 2020 at this point (not to mention the fact that the 2017 class is going to get a lot of minutes this season on a team that many here think is massively underrated).  Landing a guy like Garcia changes the picture, but the bottom line is any college basketball coach in the country would be able to attract top 100 talent to IU given the resources and stature of the program.

But to your other points, the in-state recruiting has been much better, and hopefully Archie is able to better maintain class balance and roster stability, which seems to be happening.  I agree that 2021 seems to be the year things can really take off.  A senior Phinisee and freshman Lander would be one of the best backcourts IU has ever had, and then you’d potentially have a lot of talented upperclassmen in Thompson, Anderson, Hunter, TJD, and Franklin, barring any early departures.  The solid 2020 class would have a year of experience as well.  I think the best case scenario is IU making the tournament this year, putting itself in the mix for a conference championship in 2020, and being a Final Four contender in 2021.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Crean landed a four star and two three stars in his much-maligned last recruiting class, which isn’t all that different from the class Archie has put together for 2020 at this point (not to mention the fact that the 2017 class is going to get a lot of minutes this season on a team that many here think is massively underrated).  Landing a guy like Garcia changes the picture, but the bottom line is any college basketball coach in the country would be able to attract top 100 talent to IU given the resources and stature of the program.

But to your other points, the in-state recruiting has been much better, and hopefully Archie is able to better maintain class balance and roster stability, which seems to be happening.  I agree that 2021 seems to be the year things can really take off.  A senior Phinisee and freshman Lander would be one of the best backcourts IU has ever had, and then you’d potentially have a lot of talented upperclassmen in Thompson, Anderson, Hunter, TJD, and Franklin, barring any early departures.  The solid 2020 class would have a year of experience as well.  I think the best case scenario is IU making the tournament this year, putting itself in the mix for a conference championship in 2020, and being a Final Four contender in 2021.

I think your second paragraph is spot on.  Really excited to see how Archie builds on a solid foundation. 

As to the first paragraph, the stars may be similar, but the apparent attitudes and competitiveness are night and day.  If reports are true, and Archie was forced to keep some guys he didn't feel were his type of players, that creates a challenging situation.   

Moore was a weak post that thought he was a wing.  Smith is athletic,  but his basketball skills and attitude leave much to be desired. Love Al.  I think he fits Archie's system well, and if he keeps working to improve his shot, will be a huge asset on some improving teams. He doesn't appear to be an alpha dog, but you don't need an entire roster of those. His length on defense and ability to run some point in short spurts is incredibly valuable. 

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Creans recruiting failures at the end are entirely on Fred and not Crean.  That's what happens when you leave a coach on life support.  That's exactly what will happen in 2021 if this season is a disappointment and a change isn't made.

Fred may deserve a portion of the blame for the last recruiting class,  however, Crean is the person responsible for:

1. His inability to recruit a balanced roster - our best depth in the front court during his 9 years was Soph Cody backed up by a Freshman Perea. He was too infatuated with playing fast and small ball.

2. He had some good results with lower rated recruits, but he is also responsible for April, Priller, Jurkin, Gelon, and others that I can't remember right now. There were just as many that had no business being at IU as those who exceeded expectations. 

7 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Fred may deserve a portion of the blame for the last recruiting class,  however, Crean is the person responsible for:

1. His inability to recruit a balanced roster - our best depth in the front court during his 9 years was Soph Cody backed up by a Freshman Perea. He was too infatuated with playing fast and small ball.

2. He had some good results with lower rated recruits, but he is also responsible for April, Priller, Jurkin, Gelon, and others that I can't remember right now. There were just as many that had no business being at IU as those who exceeded expectations. 

Re: Your mention of Grant Gelon.  I see now he is at Bethel. 

Bethel Hoops on Twitter: "#BethelHoops proudly welcomes Grant Gelon to the BU Basketball family! #TrueBlueBU… "

Archived