Athlon picks IU 9th in conference

Madison22

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

I disagree that IU doesn't have "a ton of talent". Granted, there doesn't seem to be a defacto "star" on the team (yet). My observation is that we have a much improved balance of talent in this season's team. We have several guys that could emerge as a "star" if you will. There have been plenty of posts, listing them in previous threads.

But for me, I'm more excited about this year's team than several of the past years teams. And I've seen a bunch of them over the last 50 years. I agree with those who think using a bunch of 3-4* guys with an occasional 5*, and have the passion to win is what makes a good team. Texas Tech went to the final game with a bunch of "no-names" (at least for the majority of the season).

Using IN kids as a foundation (read culture) is one of the reasons, and the balance of the talent, I believe, we will be much better than advertised.

PS. I appreciate this forum far more than some of the others due to the civility shown here. On one of the other boards, you can't get to the 3rd post in the thread without seeing personal attacks. Hope to be part of the conversation on a regular basis.

welcome aboard!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Now things are getting disrespectful.  Street & Smith's picks IU 11th in the Big 10

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/09/11/indiana-picked-to-finish-11th-in-big-ten-by-street-and-smiths-college-basketball-preview/

Message to Archie,

The media no longer believes in you.  But, we, the diehard IU fans still do.

Sincerely, 

Me and 7 of my exes.

P.S. - though it's probably a good idea to not finish 11th.

59 minutes ago, DWB said:

I disagree that IU doesn't have "a ton of talent". Granted, there doesn't seem to be a defacto "star" on the team (yet). My observation is that we have a much improved balance of talent in this season's team. We have several guys that could emerge as a "star" if you will. There have been plenty of posts, listing them in previous threads.

But for me, I'm more excited about this year's team than several of the past years teams. And I've seen a bunch of them over the last 50 years. I agree with those who think using a bunch of 3-4* guys with an occasional 5*, and have the passion to win is what makes a good team. Texas Tech went to the final game with a bunch of "no-names" (at least for the majority of the season).

Using IN kids as a foundation (read culture) is one of the reasons, and the balance of the talent, I believe, we will be much better than advertised.

PS. I appreciate this forum far more than some of the others due to the civility shown here. On one of the other boards, you can't get to the 3rd post in the thread without seeing personal attacks. Hope to be part of the conversation on a regular basis.

Welcome and there are a lot of people who use to post there on this site who got tired of that other site.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Message to Archie,

The media no longer believes in you.  But, we, the diehard IU fans still do.

Sincerely, 

Me and 7 of my exes.

P.S. - though it's probably a good idea to not finish 11th.

In no way am I interested in IU having another year like last, or finishing outside the Big Dance.

However, just wonder how the sentiment changes should that happen again. With the momentum shown in recruiting, both with kids already committed as well as some of the kids we are targeting, how much goodwill would that buy CAM? 

I would hate to see the pitchforks come out and turn Hoosier Nation (this site, and the fanbase in general) into a bunch of negativity. I want in the worst way for CAM to succeed and the program restore to the upper levels of the conference and in the national scene. Even with the positive vibes developed by the recent recruiting successes, I sense a bit of unease lying just below the surface, and if things go south right out of the gates, could see it turn ugly relatively quickly.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Probably means he's waiting until Fred & Shoulders and the other clowns are terminated.

Well if that the case don't let the door hit you on the way out.  We don't need those kind of fans that are fair weather and only support the team in the good times.  I would bet that IU fans are the only one who really worries about who the AD or trustees are.  Most fans probably could not tell you who the AD are at most schools.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if that the case don't let the door hit you on the way out.  We don't need those kind of fans that are fair weather and only support the team in the good times.  I would bet that IU fans are the only one who really worries about who the AD or trustees are.  Most fans probably could not tell you who the AD are at most schools.

I think you are unfairly labelling people as 'fair weather' who have been fans a long time, but have a limit.  To me, a fair weather fan would be like an Auburn fan who didn't know what a basketball was before last year's tournament, and will gripe when they don't make the Final Four again this year.

Meanwhile, guys like @NotIThatLives and @dbmhoosier are obviously long time IU fans that just want and expect to win.  They are not 'fair weather', or they would not have been active members of this forum for as long as they have been.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think you are unfairly labelling people as 'fair weather' who have been fans a long time, but have a limit.  To me, a fair weather fan would be like an Auburn fan who didn't know what a basketball was before last year's tournament, and will gripe when they don't make the Final Four again this year.

Meanwhile, guys like @NotIThatLives and @dbmhoosier are obviously long time IU fans that just want and expect to win.  They are not 'fair weather', or they would not have been active members of this forum for as long as they have been.

for me I  would never lose my fandom over W/L record but only if we did something against the rules which was an embarrassment.  If you stuck with the team through the first years of Crean then you should be able to handle anything that comes along.  Also I just don't get why so many is against glass because he has been a very good AD and has done everything he could to put a winner on the court.  We are paying our coach a top 10 salary and hired one of the top young coaching candidates that most thought was a great up and coming coach.  he has put a lot of money int the facilities and have on of the better facilities in the country in Cook Hall.

I said i give CAM 3 years to show something.  If after 3 years he hasn't shown improvement or the ability to win in the B1G then i will officially be ready to move on.  Making the Big Dance isn't that high of bar for a team in the B1G.  We usually get 6+ teams.  Just need to finish in the top half of the conference and you're pretty likely to get in.  And that is currently my bar.  Make the dance in year 3, and start the upward climb from there.  I have lowered my standards to the lowest i can go.  No more excuses.  No more next year.  No more but he is great recruiter.  Some guys just can't make the jump to the big time.  Maybe CAM can, maybe he can't.  This year will tell the tale.  There area lot of good teams in the B1G, he is going to have to step up his game.  Recruiting is one thing, winning is everything.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I said i give CAM 3 years to show something.  If after 3 years he hasn't shown improvement or the ability to win in the B1G then i will officially be ready to move on.  Making the Big Dance isn't that high of bar for a team in the B1G.  We usually get 6+ teams.  Just need to finish in the top half of the conference and you're pretty likely to get in.  And that is currently my bar.  Make the dance in year 3, and start the upward climb from there.  I have lowered my standards to the lowest i can go.  No more excuses.  No more next year.  No more but he is great recruiter.  Some guys just can't make the jump to the big time.  Maybe CAM can, maybe he can't.  This year will tell the tale.  There area lot of good teams in the B1G, he is going to have to step up his game.  Recruiting is one thing, winning is everything.

On Podcast on the Brink yesterday they had done an interview with Joe Hilman before his troubles came out.  he was critical of some of the thing she saw on the court and his displeasure with how Archie did not hold the kids accountable.  He also said anyone calling for Archie to be fired this early is just stupid.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I couldn't agree more @5fouls.  I would say fans who blindly follow without expectation are worst for the fandom than those who set a higher bar and expectation and then voice their concerns when they are not met.  Currently IU expectations are not that high.  We honestly should expect better. Dare i say, demand better.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

On Podcast on the Brink yesterday they had done an interview with Joe Hilman before his troubles came out.  he was critical of some of the thing she saw on the court and his displeasure with how Archie did not hold the kids accountable.  He also said anyone calling for Archie to be fired this early is just stupid.

I am glad i don't listen to talking heads and blindly follow anyone but myself.  And i like you got away with calling me stupid by quoting someone else.  Scott you are bad for fandom and bad for this forum.  I truly wish you would stop coming here.  It would make things so much more enjoyable

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In no way am I interested in IU having another year like last, or finishing outside the Big Dance.

However, just wonder how the sentiment changes should that happen again. With the momentum shown in recruiting, both with kids already committed as well as some of the kids we are targeting, how much goodwill would that buy CAM? 

I would hate to see the pitchforks come out and turn Hoosier Nation (this site, and the fanbase in general) into a bunch of negativity. I want in the worst way for CAM to succeed and the program restore to the upper levels of the conference and in the national scene. Even with the positive vibes developed by the recent recruiting successes, I sense a bit of unease lying just below the surface, and if things go south right out of the gates, could see it turn ugly relatively quickly.

He only needs to make the dance this season.  That's it and that's a pretty low bar considering the roster.  Do that and he's guaranteed at least a 4th year.  Miss the dance this season and he's 100% done.  Guaranteed.  There's no way Lander or any other top 2021 guys come after that and the IU mob will be out for blood.  That won't happen though.  We're going to have a solid year.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saying you are out what does that mean.  You are going to stop supporting IU basketball all together and wait until IU is good again.

I responded to fouls where he said message to Archie,

11 is unacceptable.  Cannot allow that to happen.  It's been quite the sight to see the recruiting momentum keep growing during the off-season. I am quite excited about that.  We have to see a coaching philosophy and acumen come together on the floor to win close this year.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am glad i don't listen to talking heads and blindly follow anyone but myself.  And i like you got away with calling me stupid by quoting someone else.  Scott you are bad for fandom and bad for this forum.  I truly wish you would stop coming here.  It would make things so much more enjoyable

A true fan would support all posters on this forum no matter how idiotic they are.  A true fan would want all voices heard no matter what.  A true fan would always support their team and keep buying tickets and merchandise no matter what.  A true fan would never question the administration...

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Firstly, I don't think Joe will appreciate you calling him 'she'.  

Secondly, while Joe is entitled to his opinions on whether Archie is doing a good job or not, calling people 'stupid' for having a different opinion is still just an opinion.  It's not fact. 

Personally, I think committing crimes, of which illegal gambling is one, is stupid.  Let Joe chew on that a while.

In other words, why do we care what Joe Hillman thinks?  Whose opinion will we look for next?  Maybe O.J Simpson's?

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I couldn't agree more @5fouls.  I would say fans who blindly follow without expectation are worst for the fandom than those who set a higher bar and expectation and then voice their concerns when they are not met.  Currently IU expectations are not that high.  We honestly should expect better. Dare i say, demand better.

Where did I say I have settled for mediocrity but I will still be there rooting for my team win or lose

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

A true fan would support all posters on this forum no matter how idiotic they are.  A true fan would want all voices heard no matter what.  A true fan would always support their team and keep buying tickets and merchandise no matter what.  A true fan would never question the administration...

Then unfortunately i am not a true fan.  

13 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Put me  on ignore and I never said anyone was stupid but stating what Hillman said.  You seem to be a little touchy

Archived