Athlon picks IU 9th in conference

Madison22

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see us anywhere from 4-9. If the season goes sideways yes we could end up 9 and Archie’s seat would start to get warm. If things go great we could end up top 5 and land us maybe a 6/7 seed in the tournament and hopefully make a run at a S16. I would just be happy in the top half of the B1G and making the tournament. Given how much offense we lost it is understandable we might struggle to score in some games and have some inconsistencies but as long as we don’t have any losing streaks like last year we should end up where we want to be and end up higher then they are saying. I have faith this team will be a tight group and play with grit and will surprise some people.

5 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That is where I am starting to find myself too. Of course it could just be the anticipation of the new season approaching getting to me. 

I'm just thinking that we have 3 healthy bigs at the moment and the word about Brunk makes me optimistic.  TJD is a freshman but reminds me of Alan Henderson.  I think Durham is going to be solid and green has 1 more year to prove himself.  And we have RP at point.  I'm just thinking it could be 50/50 but there is alot of potential.

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Who knows how we will do this year, but that 12-2 start last year heavily involved 2 guys who moved on to pro careers.

We don't know what we are going to get this year.  Everything could fall into place and we do really well, or past could be prologue and things don't go so well.  I frankly could see either happening.

Oh for sure with Morgan and Romeo, not saying this is the same team, but Hunter is a stud, he’s really the X factor in my mind - how he plays after a missed season and how healthy he is. Rob bring a sophomore and Green coming in a senior, and Davis slimmed down, and better front court depth should add up. I think we’re underrated. We’ll see 

On 9/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

All of these preseason IU predictions aren’t surprising. We are coming off an NIT season and lost our 2 best players. 

We have a lot to prove and I can’t wait for games to start. 

I’m more surprised by all the love Illinois is getting. That program has been a disaster with transfers, late signings of unranked players, and one guy ruled ineligible. But I have to admit their core is fairly solid. 

We have tons to prove losing out 2 best scorers.

The problem for Indiana this year is that they just don’t seem to have a ton of talent on their roster. But that might be the best thing for Miller and company in Bloomington. Miller did a great job at Dayton with less talent and maybe getting his type of guys in his system will prove to a better solution.

We know Miller can coach but can he do it in the Big Ten. They need him to get them going on the right track or the cries for his job will be getting even louder. He needs to be judged on the next couple years, not just this one. But in the meantime, this might be a rough year for the Hoosiers.

7 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

We have tons to prove losing out 2 best scorers.

The problem for Indiana this year is that they just don’t seem to have a ton of talent on their roster. But that might be the best thing for Miller and company in Bloomington. Miller did a great job at Dayton with less talent and maybe getting his type of guys in his system will prove to a better solution.

We know Miller can coach but can he do it in the Big Ten. They need him to get them going on the right track or the cries for his job will be getting even louder. He needs to be judged on the next couple years, not just this one. But in the meantime, this might be a rough year for the Hoosiers.

We know he can coach but can he do it in the Big Ten?  What and the blank does that mean?  You can either coach or you can't.

On 9/7/2019 at 5:05 PM, dbmhoosier said:

We know he can coach but can he do it in the Big Ten?  What and the blank does that mean?  You can either coach or you can't.

Not saying CAM fits the bill.  But there are plenty of coaches who coached well in lower leagues only to fall apart in a power 5 conference.  Sometimes the jump to better skilled players or competition can thwart a coach and they fail to succeed. 

Still waiting to see if CAM can make the jump.  We know he can recruit, now can he win at as high level at this level.  I hope truly hope so

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not saying CAM fits the bill.  But there are plenty of coaches who coached well in lower leagues picky to fall apart in a power 5 conference.  Sometimes the jump to better skilled players or competition can thwart a coach and they fail to succeed. 

Still waiting to see if CAM can make the jump.  We know he can recruit, now can he win at as high level at this level.  I hope truly hope so

True statement.  Steve Alford is a prime example, but Todd Lickliter comes to mind as well.

I'm a believer that Archie has the stuff to make the leap, but there's absolute truth that some coaches who have success at lower levels simply can't duplicate that success as they climb the ladder.  I don't subscribe to they can either coach or they can't.  There's a wide spectrum of skill levels in coaching.

I disagree that IU doesn't have "a ton of talent". Granted, there doesn't seem to be a defacto "star" on the team (yet). My observation is that we have a much improved balance of talent in this season's team. We have several guys that could emerge as a "star" if you will. There have been plenty of posts, listing them in previous threads.

But for me, I'm more excited about this year's team than several of the past years teams. And I've seen a bunch of them over the last 50 years. I agree with those who think using a bunch of 3-4* guys with an occasional 5*, and have the passion to win is what makes a good team. Texas Tech went to the final game with a bunch of "no-names" (at least for the majority of the season).

Using IN kids as a foundation (read culture) is one of the reasons, and the balance of the talent, I believe, we will be much better than advertised.

PS. I appreciate this forum far more than some of the others due to the civility shown here. On one of the other boards, you can't get to the 3rd post in the thread without seeing personal attacks. Hope to be part of the conversation on a regular basis.

Archived