Athlon picks IU 9th in conference

Madison22

Both sides are guilty here of borderline personal attacks.  Scott, not everyone sees IU basketball as you do.  You're entitled to your opinion, but not entitled to have everyone agree with you.  I, too, will be highly disappointed if this group of Hoosiers does not exceed expectations, but I'll wait to declare success or failure  until the season plays out.  Charter bus gets in an accident on the way to the game and IU's starting five is all hospitalized and misses the last half of the season?  Yeah, I'd probably give Archie a pass. Another season of underachieving and questionable chemistry...I see why a lot of fans would lose patience and I think the win or else expectations for season four would be the norm. 

Lets not be in a big hurry to label fans who see it differently.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In no way am I interested in IU having another year like last, or finishing outside the Big Dance.

However, just wonder how the sentiment changes should that happen again. With the momentum shown in recruiting, both with kids already committed as well as some of the kids we are targeting, how much goodwill would that buy CAM? 

I would hate to see the pitchforks come out and turn Hoosier Nation (this site, and the fanbase in general) into a bunch of negativity. I want in the worst way for CAM to succeed and the program restore to the upper levels of the conference and in the national scene. Even with the positive vibes developed by the recent recruiting successes, I sense a bit of unease lying just below the surface, and if things go south right out of the gates, could see it turn ugly relatively quickly.

Recruiting wins are definitely important and would probably buy another year. Plus that contracts going to get another year anyways unless the wheels really fall off this thing.  Which I really don't think it's going to happen this team.  The defense is there the toughness is going to be there this year the size is there  hopefully the chemistry will come this year.  Looks to me about 7th place Big Ten.  If we truly are 11th I don't know it's going to be a long offseason.  

Man this topic is turned into a barn burner

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Both sides are guilty here of borderline personal attacks.  Scott, not everyone sees IU basketball as you do.  You're entitled to your opinion, but not entitled to have everyone agree with you.  I, too, will be highly disappointed if this group of Hoosiers does not exceed expectations, but I'll wait to declare success or failure  until the season plays out.  Charter bus gets in an accident on the way to the game and IU's starting five is all hospitalized and misses the last half of the season?  Yeah, I'd probably give Archie a pass. Another season of underachieving and questionable chemistry...I see why a lot of fans would lose patience and I think the win or else expectations for season four would be the norm. 

Lets not be in a big hurry to label fans who see it differently.

I never said others were not entitled to their opinion which is everyone right but I can also say I disagree with those opinions as well.  I did not say I don't think this team should do better and they should make the tournament but I don't think Archie should be fired after only 3 years.  Most people who are college basketball experts and I agree with them that a coach should get at least 4 to 5 years to build their own program.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I feel if you turn on your team just because they did not meet your expectations is not a sign of a real fan.

You don't listen to what anyone actually says do you.  You just see what you have to say and think and then automatically put everyone else on blast for not thinking or feeling like you do.  I can still be a fan and not support the administration or coaching staff.  I can still root for the players to win and hope we do better.  Being a fan doesn't mean you have to blindly follow and be 100 on board with how everything is going.  I am can be disappointed.  I can not like the coach.  I can want something different.  I can want something better.  I can demand we strive to be the best possible team we can be.  But at the end of the day, i am just a fan of the game.  What i say and do has little to zero affect on anything concerning IU basketball.  And i have the right to my opinion, just as you do your.  But i do not on most occasions go out of my way to blast anyone elses opinion, including yours.  As for being touchy today, have you ever notice @IU Scott that you are always on the other side of every conversation, you're always the one calling for people to "go back to Peegs or whereever", you're always calling people out for not thinking or feeling how you feel.  And today i got a bit tired of it and decided to say what i have wanted to say for a while.  This might get me suspended or banned from the site but you need to know.  And i do have you on ignore, unfortuately it only hides your posts, not when you're quoted so i get to see it over and over as you argue with everyone about everything.

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Recruiting wins are definitely important and would probably buy another year. Plus that contracts going to get another year anyways unless the wheels really fall off this thing.  Which I really don't think it's going to happen this team.  The defense is there the toughness is going to be there this year the size is there  hopefully the chemistry will come this year.  Looks to me about 7th place Big Ten.  If we truly are 11th I don't know it's going to be a long offseason.  

Man this topic is turned into a barn burner

We could really surprise. Where Hunter is, is going to be so key. I'm thinking 4-7, Crimson Glasses and all.

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You don't listen to what anyone actually says do you.  You just see what you have to say and think and then automatically put everyone else on blast for not thinking or feeling like you do.  I can still be a fan and not support the administration or coaching staff.  I can still root for the players to win and hope we do better.  Being a fan doesn't mean you have to blindly follow and be 100 on board with how everything is going.  I am can be disappointed.  I can not like the coach.  I can want something different.  I can want something better.  I can demand we strive to be the best possible team we can be.  But at the end of the day, i am just a fan of the game.  What i say and do has little to zero affect on anything concerning IU basketball.  And i have the right to my opinion, just as you do your.  But i do not on most occasions go out of my way to blast anyone elses opinion, including yours.  As for being touchy today, have you ever notice @IU Scott that you are always on the other side of every conversation, you're always the one calling for people to "go back to Peegs or whereever", you're always calling people out for not thinking or feeling how you feel.  And today i got a bit tired of it and decided to say what i have wanted to say for a while.  This might get me suspended or banned from the site but you need to know.  And i do have you on ignore, unfortuately it only hides your posts, not when you're quoted so i get to see it over and over as you argue with everyone about everything.

Well I will leave if you want me to and you will see this board become a ghost town because I at least bring some conversation to this board in the off season.  it appears to me you are the one that can't take someone else having a different opinion than yours.  You don't agree with me and my viewpoints all you do is call for me to leave the board.  I never said people  should not be critical if the team plays bad because during the season I am as critical as anyone.  My point was that if you stop supporting the team just because of the W/L record then I don't think you are truly a fan of the program.  The program is in better shape when the fan base is in unity and if their are fractions in that fan base it is detrimental to the program. 

Our fans seem to get off the bandwagon very fast when it comes to a coach and start calling for their heads after a couple of years.  To me this is not good for the program at all and it hurts recruiting when other coaches see the fans turning on the coach.  I realize it has been a long 25 years but Archie is not responsible for all of those years so he should not be getting all the heat for those years.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I will leave if you want me to and you will see this board become a ghost town because I at least bring some conversation to this board in the off season.  it appears to me you are the one that can't take someone else having a different opinion than yours.  You don't agree with me and my viewpoints all you do is call for me to leave the board.  I never said people  should not be critical if the team plays bad because during the season I am as critical as anyone.  My point was that if you stop supporting the team just because of the W/L record then I don't think you are truly a fan of the program.  The program is in better shape when the fan base is in unity and if their are fractions in that fan base it is detrimental to the program. 

Our fans seem to get off the bandwagon very fast when it comes to a coach and start calling for their heads after a couple of years.  To me this is not good for the program at all and it hurts recruiting when other coaches see the fans turning on the coach.  I realize it has been a long 25 years but Archie is not responsible for all of those years so he should not be getting all the heat for those years.

Again, i don't think you even listen to what people have to say.  You see but you don't actually digest what anyone is actually trying or plainly saying.  I will stop engaging you in conversation on here.  Please refrain from continue this conversation.  You win and i honestly wish i could get my 20 minutes back.

Have a good day.

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Again, i don't think you even listen to what people have to say.  You see but you don't actually digest what anyone is actually trying or plainly saying.  I will stop engaging you in conversation on here.  Please refrain from continue this conversation.  You win and i honestly which i could get my 20 minutes back.

Have a good day.

I do respect Scott. I've come to understand that he will never change his opinion even if it is wrong.  If my father-in-law was an IU basketball fan his screen name would be IU Scott.

OK, I get it. Looking at all the previous posts from 40,000 ft, there is no doubt many of us are frustrated by IU's performance for a long time (I'll let you determine that definition).

We all want IU to return to the upper echelon status that we had. Who wouldn't? But we all have different opinions as to the priorities to get there again. Change coaches, recruit better, hold players accountable for their play, floor leadership, and (my personal favorite) play like there was no tomorrow...etc etc.

Maybe we're all correct to a degree, and all wrong to a degree. We'll see in a few weeks. But under the surface of frustration, I gotta believe there is a real feeling of optimism, and more importantly, PRIDE clambering to get out in the open. I haven't been this excited about a team in a long, long time. IMO we have above average talent (in the B1G) at every position, and I can't honestly think of one player on the roster who can't rise well above where they were last year. Even the freshman will be significant contributors.

We're deep, we're tall, we're long, and maybe, just maybe, we're finally "determined" as a team.

I listened to the recap of one of the Hoosier Hysterics guys who attended Vic's fantasy camp. Buried near the end of the 3 hour recap (which was excellent I thought) was a little ditty on what Archie inherited and had to deal with. Essentially it was a pair of handcuffs on his flexibility to manage the roster and play the way he wanted. You can listen and decide for yourself, but CAM never whispered a word about this during the season. It put the season in a different context, for me at least.

If we don't make significant progress this year, yes I'll be disappointed. But I have a hard time believing that's even a possibility at this point. Time will tell.

Go Hoosiers!

1 hour ago, DWB said:

OK, I get it. Looking at all the previous posts from 40,000 ft, there is no doubt many of us are frustrated by IU's performance for a long time (I'll let you determine that definition).

We all want IU to return to the upper echelon status that we had. Who wouldn't? But we all have different opinions as to the priorities to get there again. Change coaches, recruit better, hold players accountable for their play, floor leadership, and (my personal favorite) play like there was no tomorrow...etc etc.

Maybe we're all correct to a degree, and all wrong to a degree. We'll see in a few weeks. But under the surface of frustration, I gotta believe there is a real feeling of optimism, and more importantly, PRIDE clambering to get out in the open. I haven't been this excited about a team in a long, long time. IMO we have above average talent (in the B1G) at every position, and I can't honestly think of one player on the roster who can't rise well above where they were last year. Even the freshman will be significant contributors.

We're deep, we're tall, we're long, and maybe, just maybe, we're finally "determined" as a team.

I listened to the recap of one of the Hoosier Hysterics guys who attended Vic's fantasy camp. Buried near the end of the 3 hour recap (which was excellent I thought) was a little ditty on what Archie inherited and had to deal with. Essentially it was a pair of handcuffs on his flexibility to manage the roster and play the way he wanted. You can listen and decide for yourself, but CAM never whispered a word about this during the season. It put the season in a different context, for me at least.

If we don't make significant progress this year, yes I'll be disappointed. But I have a hard time believing that's even a possibility at this point. Time will tell.

Go Hoosiers!

I can already tell I'm going to enjoy having you here as a member.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Rivals didn't become a ghost town after you left and we all know why you left Rivals.

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Go Hoosiers!

Great post

36 minutes ago, BDB said:

Rivals didn't become a ghost town after you left and we all know why you left Rivals.

I did not mean there would be no people here but  lot of days there are very little discussion.  It seems like peoples hatred for me brings out a lot of post so there are more discussion.

As a Bears fan, reading this back and forth (minus the incoherent rambling I’ve thankfully blocked) has made me realize really for the first time how similar a position Archie Miller and Mitch Trubisky are in.  Both got their jobs in 2017 and are coming off somewhat overhyped and underwhelming first two years.  At the same time, there have been plenty of excuses for both, primarily that both are learning/implementing new systems.  Even with their disappointing first two years, they’re both young and talented enough to inspire optimism that they can be “the guy” once they adjust, but no one can be sure they’ll get there.  

The cheerleaders and the skeptics are constantly going back and forth on social media, but pretty much everyone agrees that Year 3 is time to put up or shut up.  This is the year that will define the careers of both guys.  Football fans saw how Trubisky started off last week, and it’s already started getting pretty ugly in the Bears fanbase.  Have to think it’ll be the same for Miller.  For the sake of the only two teams I really love, here’s hoping both guys can get it turned around.

13 hours ago, DWB said:

I disagree that IU doesn't have "a ton of talent". Granted, there doesn't seem to be a defacto "star" on the team (yet). My observation is that we have a much improved balance of talent in this season's team. We have several guys that could emerge as a "star" if you will. There have been plenty of posts, listing them in previous threads.

But for me, I'm more excited about this year's team than several of the past years teams. And I've seen a bunch of them over the last 50 years. I agree with those who think using a bunch of 3-4* guys with an occasional 5*, and have the passion to win is what makes a good team. Texas Tech went to the final game with a bunch of "no-names" (at least for the majority of the season).

Using IN kids as a foundation (read culture) is one of the reasons, and the balance of the talent, I believe, we will be much better than advertised.

PS. I appreciate this forum far more than some of the others due to the civility shown here. On one of the other boards, you can't get to the 3rd post in the thread without seeing personal attacks. Hope to be part of the conversation on a regular basis.

Take those mindless opinions elsewhere. Your opinions are dumb, and you look funny. (Sorry, I could not resist).

Seriously, welcome aboard. And based on your profile pic, you may very well enjoy this thread.....

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Take those mindless opinions elsewhere. Your opinions are dumb, and you look funny.

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water....here comes a shark!

Thanx for the welcome. Looking forward to some good hoops conversation.

One thing that stands out to me in this thread — 

Even when getting into a personal back and forth argument, the guys above kept it mostly about IU ball and even though they were angry — as everyone gets from time to time — they didn’t go off the rails, and tried to express where they were coming from. 

See, it’s not just the perfect sunny days that make me enjoy being a mod here, it’s also this, even disagreeing and getting mad at each other, we’re a community, an IU b-ball community, and guys (sometimes gals) who get to know each other on a board talking hoops. 

I haven’t been around as much as my son got in a bad accident the same day I helped get him licensed and bought him a new car — he’s fine, car’s totaled, insurance is a pain in the ass, and the other driver is fabricating injuries.

Perspective is always good. Give me IU ball, talk on the board with all of you from all of your differing viewpoints, any day 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One thing that stands out to me in this thread — 

Even when getting into a personal back and forth argument, the guys above kept it mostly about IU ball and even though they were angry — as everyone gets from time to time — they didn’t go off the rails, and tried to express where they were coming from. 

See, it’s not just the perfect sunny days that make me enjoy being a mod here, it’s also this, even disagreeing and getting mad at each other, we’re a community, an IU b-ball community, and guys (sometimes gals) who get to know each other on a board talking hoops. 

I haven’t been around as much as my son got in a bad accident the same day I helped get him licensed and bought him a new car — he’s fine, car’s totaled, insurance is a pain in the ass, and the other driver is fabricating injuries.

Perspective is always good. Give me IU ball, talk on the board with all of you from all of your differing viewpoints, any day 

Glad to hear your son is doing fine and remember cars can be replaced but your son can't.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Glad to hear your son is doing fine and remember cars can be replaced but your son can't.

That's for sure. 

Stupid city didn't trim a tree, covered the stop sign, my son therefore runs a stop sign, that was invisible, on his first day owning a car, tow truck driver confirms the same to my insurance company, but of course we're anticipating a ticket from the cop despite the tow truck driver saying the only reason he knows there's a stop sign there is because of all the times he's had to go there for accidents, because you can't see the sign. And of course I can't replace the car because I don't have title because the stupid state can't bother to issue a title, and the insurer won't (can't) cut a cut until I have title to convey. And the idiot driver of the other car sees this as his opportunity to make a buck off my insurance.

But my kid and his two friends who were in the car, that was broadsided by the SUV, are fine. That's what matters. Quoting above, the rest is noise.

Archived