Next up Ohio St

OLDIUFAN

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited to see how we look against one of the top teams.  I give us about a 10% chance of actually winning, but it will be a good test to see where we're actually at this year.

Having Penix starting definitely gives us a better chance of pulling off the upset.  I love that he got 1.5 games of experience under his belt before the OSU game.

So I was watching 1st quarter of Cincy/Ohio St game. Cincy was actually driving the ball, looking good....and boom Ohio St up 3 TD's. If we have a chance of winning we have to avoid obviously turning the ball over which leads to those quick runs.  Penix will have to be on point and if he needs to throw it away...do it.

We've played Ohio St as well as anyone in recent memory for 3 quarters but their elite talent takes over in the 4th. Not sure if I see that changing. 

It certainly looks like the same old story...NFL caliber players everywhere against our young guys.  Is there a chance?  Sure...but it is really small and probably only happens with a poorly played game (multiple mistakes/turnovers) on OSU's part and a flawless game by IU.  As Seeking6 said...they have elite talent and lots of it.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

So I was watching 1st quarter of Cincy/Ohio St game. Cincy was actually driving the ball, looking good....and boom Ohio St up 3 TD's. If we have a chance of winning we have to avoid obviously turning the ball over which leads to those quick runs.  Penix will have to be on point and if he needs to throw it away...do it.

We've played Ohio St as well as anyone in recent memory for 3 quarters but their elite talent takes over in the 4th. Not sure if I see that changing. 

I feel the same on the impact OSU's talent has made late game. This time around, I think IU has more numerous and more diverse weapons(including a running + throwing QB)  to counter with in the odd year home game.

During this run of IU repeatedly coming close, OSU haven't had to face a healthy IU team(especially not one with it's All-conference caliber skill position players all available for action and set to play going into the game )  .That is finally the case for Indiana and I think it is a notable storyline since I've analyzed those recent past meetings inside out. The lack of ground yardage is a bit of a concern, but I've also read where IU has kept the playcalling mostly vanilla by intent-  with this particular game in mind for pulling a bit more out of the bag. 

That wasn't barely getting by . They lost Sudfeld and Howard in the 2015 game and although Diamont ran IU back into the contest it was the suspension of Darius Latham and having a second string DT that allowed Elliott to go for 55.65.75. I also think it was the late gane lack of passing threat deep and lack of a significant RB running threat that kept IU dependent on  a 5-10 160 lb QB . Enough said.1 dimensional.Lagow was decent throwing but he never was a concern since there was no worry he would tuck the ball and run for 20 plus.

Sorry I couldn't find the 2015 game anymore(used to be up in entirety and used to be on my dvr)  but I've had enough recurring what ifs about it to last forever.. 

Then in the big hyped Gameday game-  IU lost Westbrook right on the first kickoff in the 2017. I think that killed Indiana late when it needed every playmaker. Lagow losing Westbrook and the team again losing JShun Harris were insurmountable. The offense always bogged down when it had a chance to deliver the KO punch.  

When a program has neither the talent nor the depth (that Indiana has now) as was the case at  the time of both games, how were they to pull those off..  We can be PC and pretend these types of players don't matter for IU but that would not be good analysis. IMO. Both were dominant outings early on by IU, not just barely getting by. The best part is , OSU didn't look past IU once, ever since several years ago when the Hoosiers fell 52-49 in Columbus. Urban Meyer himself has publicly expressed more respect for Indiana than most B1G coaches have, actually.

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

OSU was really tough vs UC.  238 yds passing...270 yds rushing...no turnovers...2 penalties...31 first downs to 13 for UC.  Pretty dominating performance.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

OSU was really tough vs UC.  238 yds passing...270 yds rushing...no turnovers...2 penalties...31 first downs to 13 for UC.  Pretty dominating performance.

Ridder is not very good at QB- IMO anyway. They had no way to make Ohio State pay for coming after him. This wasn't very surprising. Have to keep the opponent honest., 

IU can't afford to make numerous early mistakes but being explosive comes in handy in the event there are a couple of TOs. 

4 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I feel the same on the impact OSU's talent has made late game. This time around, I think IU has more numerous and more diverse weapons(including a running + throwing QB)  to counter with in the odd year home game.

During this run of IU repeatedly coming close, OSU haven't had to face a healthy IU team(especially not one with it's All-conference caliber skill position players all available for action and set to play going into the game )  .That is finally the case for Indiana and I think it is a notable storyline since I've analyzed those recent past meetings inside out. The lack of ground yardage is a bit of a concern, but I've also read where IU has kept the playcalling mostly vanilla by intent-  with this particular game in mind for pulling a bit more out of the bag. 

That wasn't barely getting by . They lost Sudfeld and Howard in the 2015 game and although Diamont ran IU back into the contest it was the suspension of Darius Latham and having a second string DT that allowed Elliott to go for 55.65.75. I also think it was the late gane lack of passing threat deep and lack of a significant RB running threat that kept IU dependent on  a 5-10 160 lb QB . Enough said.1 dimensional.Lagow was decent throwing but he never was a concern since there was no worry he would tuck the ball and run for 20 plus.

Sorry I couldn't find the 2015 game anymore(used to be up in entirety and used to be on my dvr)  but I've had enough recurring what ifs about it to last forever.. 

Then in the big hyped Gameday game-  IU lost Westbrook right on the first kickoff in the 2017. I think that killed Indiana late when it needed every playmaker. Lagow losing Westbrook and the team again losing JShun Harris were insurmountable. The offense always bogged down when it had a chance to deliver the KO punch.  

When a program has neither the talent nor the depth (that Indiana has now) as was the case at  the time of both games, how were they to pull those off..  We can be PC and pretend these types of players don't matter for IU but that would not be good analysis. IMO. Both were dominant outings early on by IU, not just barely getting by. The best part is , OSU didn't look past IU once, ever since several years ago when the Hoosiers fell 52-49 in Columbus. Urban Meyer himself has publicly expressed more respect for Indiana than most B1G coaches have, actually.

speaking of westbrook, did he play yesterday? don't remember seeing him  

44 minutes ago, coachv said:

speaking of westbrook, did he play yesterday? don't remember seeing him  

Good question. I had to settle for watching through Ramsey's first series, and only skipped through bits and pieces of 2nd half highlights on the net.I hope I haven't spoke too soon ,but nothing I read had mentioned anything. 

I visited 11 Warriors thread on the game coming up Saturday.   I understand OSU fans being confident,  I was 4 the last time we won against them.  But some of their score predictions are wild.

The few that give us credit for playing them close several times the past few seasons,  are calling for a 45-24 OSU win.  The others are predicting 55-17, or even worse.

Hope we come out sharp, and have a few tricks up our sleave and pull the upset.

25 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I visited 11 Warriors thread on the game coming up Saturday.   I understand OSU fans being confident,  I was 4 the last time we won against them.  But some of their score predictions are wild.

The few that give us credit for playing them close several times the past few seasons,  are calling for a 45-24 OSU win.  The others are predicting 55-17, or even worse.

Hope we come out sharp, and have a few tricks up our sleave and pull the upset.

I wonder what 11 Warriors was predicting last year for the Purdue game?

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Only an 11% chance of missing a bowl? I'll take it.

Saw that as well. Maybe it's being an IU football fan but this just seems off. I only see 2 more locks on the season. UConn and Rutgers at home....and 1 more vs Northwestern where I'll put them in the we should win category. That gets us to 5 wins. The rest of our schedule is either toss up or more than likely loss because games are on road. To put us at 89% seems off numbers wise.

Archived