Next up Ohio St

OLDIUFAN

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Overall schedule is still tougher for Purdue even with IU playing all of those top teams. Non-conference plays a big role in that difference. 

Bahhahaaha ok sure bud. The West is daunting... said no one ever. Vandy sure was a tough one.. Nevada just got absolutely destroyed by Oregon.. will either team Be bowl eligible this year? You can have your “number” that says the schedule is tougher. I’ll go off common sense. Come over to the East anytime you want... instead Nebraska is second best team in west? Iowa? Lol wow. 

8 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Bahhahaaha ok sure bud. The West is daunting... said no one ever. Vandy sure was a tough one.. Nevada just got absolutely destroyed by Oregon.. will either team Be bowl eligible this year? You can have your “number” that says the schedule is tougher. I’ll go off common sense. Come over to the East anytime you want... instead Nebraska is second best team in west? Iowa? Lol wow. 

Easy man...Purdue has to run the gauntlet that is the B1G west which of course is right up there with the ACC's Coastal division...

3 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Never said the West was daunting. But I think it’s silly to ignore numbers. Overall, the East is more difficult than the West no doubt. But the difference in the non-conference opponents Purdue plays versus what IU plays is substantial. That helps offset the difference in conference schedules. 

Hasn’t Iowa given IU fits recently? It wouldn’t be easy playing them or Wisky every year either. 

Here's my problem with SOS numbers, and I've said this for years whether it is a strong or weak schedule. 

Let's say a team is roughly the 40th ranked team in the country.

Schedule 1 includes 6 games against top 25 teams, and 6 games against teams ranked 100-130.  That would probably be about middle of the pack SOS wise, but that team would likely go 6-6.

Schedule 2 is all games of teams ranked in the 50-70 range.  The team ranked 40th would probably be favored in every one, and that schedule would still likely be middle of the pack SOS wise.  A 6-6 record in that case would be a real disappointment.

Strength of schedule sometimes does a terrible job as a predictor of success.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Here's my problem with SOS numbers, and I've said this for years whether it is a strong or weak schedule. 

Let's say a team is roughly the 40th ranked team in the country.

Schedule 1 includes 6 games against top 25 teams, and 6 games against teams ranked 100-130.  That would probably be about middle of the pack SOS wise, but that team would likely go 6-6.

Schedule 2 is all games of teams ranked in the 50-70 range.  The team ranked 40th would probably be favored in every one, and that schedule would still likely be middle of the pack SOS wise.  A 6-6 record in that case would be a real disappointment.

Strength of schedule sometimes does a terrible job as a predictor of success.

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Never said the West was daunting. But I think it’s silly to ignore numbers. Overall, the East is more difficult than the West no doubt. But the difference in the non-conference opponents Purdue plays versus what IU plays is substantial. That helps offset the difference in conference schedules. 

Hasn’t Iowa given IU fits recently? It wouldn’t be easy playing them or Wisky every year either. 

Lol Whatever floats your boat buddy 

11 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Since 2015 only Alabama and Clemson have faced more top 10 teams than IU... what a joke. 

Indiana:

2015: OSU, MSU, Iowa, Michigan
2016: OSU, Nebraska, PSU, MSU
2017: OSU, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin
2018: MSU, OSU, PSU, Michigan

Clemson:

2015: Notre Dame, Florida State, UNC, Oklahoma*, Alabama*
2016: Louisville, Florida State, Virginia Tech, OSU*, Alabama*
2017: Auburn, Louisville, Virginia Tech, NC State, Miami, Alabama*
2018: NC State, BC, Notre Dame*, Alabama*

Alabama:

2015: Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi State, Florida, Michigan State*, Clemson*
2016: USC, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas A&M, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Washington*, Clemson*
2017: Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Auburn, Clemson*, Georgia*
2018: Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi State, Georgia, Oklahoma*, Clemson*

Totals
Indiana: 16 regular season, 0 CFP
Clemson: 13 regular season, 7 CFP (20 total)
Alabama: 23 regular season, 8 CFP (31 total)

So, if you took the CFP out, we're ahead of Clemson but still behind Bama. 

Aside: It can't be said that Alabama has cakewalked to its national titles. Christ on a cracker....those schedules from 2015 and 2016 are murder.  2016...10 games against ranked opponents and they were one second (and one out-of-his-mind performance from Deshaun Watson) short of winning all 10. 

20 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Set IU's and Purdue's schedule in front of any college coach and say, "Your job depends on getting to a bowl game; pick the schedule you want to play," and I guarantee you very few would pick IU's schedule.

A Hoosier football fans prayer..... Please Dear God, don't let a bowl bid hinge on the Perdont game!! 

AMEN......🙏

Archived