9/11/2001

rico

8 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Was in 5th grade at Shawswick Elementary school in Bedford Indiana when it all started, got sent home early from school, parents worried and kids were being picked up left and right by parents(me included).  Never Forget

OT: I coached a young man that attended Shawswick a little before your time. Joey Ray.

The book "102 Minutes" by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn is the best account of that day I have seen. It covers some of the 1993 garage bombing and 2001 in detail from the viewpoint of people inside the towers and their loved ones. The last part of the book talks about the changes in building codes which allowed the towers to be built the way they were and likely sealed the fate of people above the impact zone. It also talks about the long standing feud between the NY police and fire departments over control of joint responses. Their lack of communication cost the lives of many firefighters that day who should have been ordered out of Tower 1 when collapse became inevitable. While remembrance of history is important in order to avoid repeating it, the policies, prejudices, attitudes, actions over time that culminate in an event must also be examined from all perspectives.

25 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The book "102 Minutes" by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn is the best account of that day I have seen. It covers some of the 1993 garage bombing and 2001 in detail from the viewpoint of people inside the towers and their loved ones. The last part of the book talks about the changes in building codes which allowed the towers to be built the way they were and likely sealed the fate of people above the impact zone. It also talks about the long standing feud between the NY police and fire departments over control of joint responses. Their lack of communication cost the lives of many firefighters that day who should have been ordered out of Tower 1 when collapse became inevitable. While remembrance of history is important in order to avoid repeating it, the policies, prejudices, attitudes, actions over time that culminate in an event must also be examined from all perspectives.

Very well done.  There is a documentary about rookie firefighters and while filming they captured the only video of 1st plane to hit WTC. The rookie they were folliwing had been on the job for nearly a month and no fires. They called him a "white cloud" his first was the WTC on 9/11. It is a great documentary

42 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Interesting, small world :) Doesn't ring a bell

I believe he went on to play at Vincennes. He was 5'10 and tried to dunk on Amarie Stodamire had he not been fouled it would have been nasty!!! Very tough nosed kid that could shoot lights out. He had younger brother Kyle Ray that might be closer to your age.

31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If you're talking about a Joey Ray that was there from 2000-02, you'd be correct.  I had at least two classes with him.  2nd leading scorer in '01-02, if I remember correctly.  And yes, lights out shooter. 

Yes I believe so. He could shoot from distance either hand. Set shot left handed but lights out either way.

Was sitting in math class sophomore year. TV was turned on right after it started. We just watched news all day. 

Been awhile since I've thought about what it felt like watching it. A new guy at work who was only 4 at the time asked what it was like. I just remember thinking the world is going to change forever.  It surely did and some of the things that are happening right now I cant believe I would ever see.

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was sitting in math class sophomore year. TV was turned on right after it started. We just watched news all day. 

Been awhile since I've thought about what it felt like watching it. A new guy at work who was only 4 at the time asked what it was like. I just remember thinking the world is going to change forever.  It surely did and some of the things that are happening right now I cant believe I would ever see.

My Father is a Navy Vet.  He was on one of the ships that formed the blockade during the Cuban Missile crisis.  He talked about how scared he was at that point in time.  He thought the world would come to an end.  He hoped and prayed that I would never have that feeling.  September 11th, 2001...I had that feeling.

Ironically was on the phone for premarket trade call. Lines went down with our market guys in North Tower. Walked down the hall at my office here in Indy and saw a few gathered around tv. At first I thought accident....after the second we knew we were under attack.

Good friend of mine who I knew from IU was at Merrill which was across the street from North Tower I believe. They evacuated and just had to deal with the aftermath.

Always a tough day but a day that shows we are the most resilient country in the world. 

Posted this three years ago...

15 years later I still get angry. I still refuse to accept a false religion that teaches that it's OK to kill people who don't agree with you. I still get choked up at the images and sounds of policemen and firefighters rushing toward the World Trade Center, at two people holding hands as they jumped to their death, at the screams of terror as the second tower was rammed and later, as the same tower collapsed to the ground, followed shortly after by the first.

I imagine the fear and chaos on each plane as they screamed toward their final impacts. I get emotional thinking of the bravery of the folks on United 93 as they sacrificed their lives for countless others by forcing their plane down in a rural Pennsylvania field, far short of it's heavily populated seat of power destination. I imagine the sadness and despair that was experienced in each last phone call between a victim and a loved one.

I am proud of the unity and strength shown by this country in the face of adversity. I am proud of the single-mindedness of our leaders and of the resolution for justice. I am proud of the spirit of cooperation and generosity I witnessed in the aftermath of this American tragedy.

Much like those old enough to remember the assassination of President Kennedy, I can tell you exactly where I was when the news first broke shortly after 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning, September 11th, 2001. I can also describe in detail the shock I felt roughly 18 minutes later when the second impact was known. The dread I felt while wondering where the next impact would be was unlike any I've felt before or since. One of the clearest thoughts I had that day...

This changes everything.

Indeed, much has changed in the intervening 15 years. Everywhere I look, there are the signs of increased security implemented in reaction to the 9/11 tragedy. Even so, I doubt Americans will ever feel as safe and secure as they did prior to September 11, 2001. I will always believe that America has the capacity to respond to any threat but I will never again underestimate the capacity for evil in this world. Saluting all the heroes and victims of 9/11...

Never...ever...forget.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Posted this three years ago...

15 years later I still get angry. I still refuse to accept a false religion that teaches that it's OK to kill people who don't agree with you. I still get choked up at the images and sounds of policemen and firefighters rushing toward the World Trade Center, at two people holding hands as they jumped to their death, at the screams of terror as the second tower was rammed and later, as the same tower collapsed to the ground, followed shortly after by the first.

I imagine the fear and chaos on each plane as they screamed toward their final impacts. I get emotional thinking of the bravery of the folks on United 93 as they sacrificed their lives for countless others by forcing their plane down in a rural Pennsylvania field, far short of it's heavily populated seat of power destination. I imagine the sadness and despair that was experienced in each last phone call between a victim and a loved one.

I am proud of the unity and strength shown by this country in the face of adversity. I am proud of the single-mindedness of our leaders and of the resolution for justice. I am proud of the spirit of cooperation and generosity I witnessed in the aftermath of this American tragedy.

Much like those old enough to remember the assassination of President Kennedy, I can tell you exactly where I was when the news first broke shortly after 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning, September 11th, 2001. I can also describe in detail the shock I felt roughly 18 minutes later when the second impact was known. The dread I felt while wondering where the next impact would be was unlike any I've felt before or since. One of the clearest thoughts I had that day...

This changes everything.

Indeed, much has changed in the intervening 15 years. Everywhere I look, there are the signs of increased security implemented in reaction to the 9/11 tragedy. Even so, I doubt Americans will ever feel as safe and secure as they did prior to September 11, 2001. I will always believe that America has the capacity to respond to any threat but I will never again underestimate the capacity for evil in this world. Saluting all the heroes and victims of 9/11...

Never...ever...forget.

Fabulous read.  And one of the greatest posts I have ever read.

Along those lines, or sort of, a friend sent me this yesterday.  The article is a tad dated...

https://crtxnews.com/22-islamic-jihad-training-camps-america-one-state/

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Was in DC this week (flying back home this morning) and took part in the 30 seconds of silence outside of the government buildings. Very touching to see everyone within my line of sight participate.

We're still the UNITED States...

We have been blessed to be able to visit all of the 9/11  sites.  For my wife NYC overwhelmed her emotionally.  For me it was Shanksville.  There and Arlington  Cemetery  are the 2 most surreal places I have been. 

So happy Ayden loves America History,  now the 3 of us can visit all these places. First 20 years if marriage vacation was tavel baseball and softball. Last 4 we always tie in some great Historical locations.

Archived