California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act'

tdhoosier

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This will pass very quickly, and spread to every state.  It will spread because if schools want to keep their players in state, they will have to allow it.  Recruiting to California will become very easy

Well the NCAA could make any team that allows this ineligible for competition in NCAA sanction events.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well the NCAA could make any team that allows this ineligible for competition in NCAA sanction events.

Scott, the NCAA is going to get steam rolled by this. As soon as California passes it into law, other states are going to follow very quickly.  The NCAA has done nothing except set back and get rich for years. They are about to figure out what its like to share

28 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Scott, the NCAA is going to get steam rolled by this. As soon as California passes it into law, other states are going to follow very quickly.  The NCAA has done nothing except set back and get rich for years. They are about to figure out what its like to share

Yea I don't see how the NCAA can stop this from happening.    They need to stop trying to prevent it and come up with plans to deal with it.   This could actually be a good thing money wise for the NCAA and schools.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

33 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Can someone give me examples of what is considered their "likeness"?

Thanks in advance.

The normal verbiage is "name, image, or likeness," with the latter referring to non-photographic depictions of the person. So, for instance, a company couldn't get around the law by simply using an artist's rendition of a player, in order to avoid paying the player for the use of his actual "image."

On 9/13/2019 at 6:58 PM, IU Scott said:

Have none on and because I don't think these athletes should get more than they already do does not make me wrong or right. You might think I am wrong and that is your right but that does not make you correct as well.  I strongly believe in my viewpoint on this topic and no matter what you say it won't make me change my mind.

What other endeavor in the good 'ol US of A puts a cap on what a person can earn? If this legislation passes, and kids can benefit from it, why should they be hindered?

You and I are not limited as to what we can earn. No one is other than these kids, by the archaic rules set forth by the NCAA

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What other endeavor in the good 'ol US of A puts a cap on what a person can earn? If this legislation passes, and kids can benefit from it, why should they be hindered?

You and I are not limited as to what we can earn. No one is other than these kids, by the archaic rules set forth by the NCAA

Well everyone already knows my viewpoint on this so I will not get into this again so I will just say we will have to agree to disagree on this topic

Even, if for reasons that make no sense to me, you don't want people to receive money that they earned and others are willing to pay them, you have to accept that it already happens. The NCAA is some combination of unwilling and unable (I suspect a healthy does of both) to do anything about it, so why not change the system so that's it out in the open. As it stands now only players, teams and companies that are willing to cheat get the benefit - why not let the honest ones that play by the rules get the same benefit?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well everyone already knows my viewpoint on this so I will not get into this again so I will just say we will have to agree to disagree on this topic

GM workers went on strike at midnight.  Employees are making demands on their employer.  

14 minutes ago, rico said:

GM workers went on strike at midnight.  Employees are making demands on their employer.  

Good for them and if the athletes don't like then don't play college sports and strike.  I grew up in an union family since my dad worked for Ford for 30 years.  When he first started there they worked them 12 hours a day and 7 days a week so it was good to have a union backing them to get change.  I just don't see these athletes as being mistreated and taking advantage of and are being compensated fairly.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Good for them and if the athletes don't like then don't play college sports and strike

Maybe the colleges shouldn't exploit their athletes?  Here is a novel idea, how about paying them a percentage of what the schools make off of them?  Crazy huh?

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe the colleges shouldn't exploit their athletes?  Here is a novel idea, how about paying them a percentage of what the schools make off of them?  Crazy huh?

That is the difference because I don't see them being exploited at all.  Again it is a very small minority of players who we are talking about and should not change the landscape of the college game for them.  If those kids don't like it then they don't have to go to college and should go play where they can be compensated.  Well since I probably do way more work than the CEO of my company I should just go into his office and tell him I be paid like he gets paid.

Just now, rico said:

I think the NCAA should pay them instead of the schools. Then if the athletes are caught not adhering to NCAA rules, they could withhold the pay or sue for repayment for not living up to their end of the contract.

If the school is found complicit in the rules violations, then the NCAA can reduce the number of payable athletes to that particular school for that particular sport, which would encourage athletes to go to other schools to receive payment.

The NCAA would screw it up, but might finally have some teeth to punish the universities.

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is the difference because I don't see them being exploited at all.  Again it is a very small minority of players who we are talking about and should not change the landscape of the college game for them.  If those kids don't like it then they don't have to go to college and should go play where they can be compensated.

Football and basketball players help make the university hundreds of millions of dollars. They should be able to do commercials, get paid for their likeness on video games, etc. I went to college and was able to have a job and get paid. I know students who were on scholarship and also had jobs that they earned money for. Romeo, Zion, or any other player that a company wants to pay to represent them, should have that ability. This is America, we shouldn’t be limiting the earning potential of people. 

13 minutes ago, rico said:

How about the kids go pro? Why even get the colleges involved?

The Fair to Play act will completely destroy whatever little level playing field is left in college sports......and Indiana will be on the wrong side.

You think Duke, UK, and North Carolina get recruits now? Just wait until ESPN has shoe commercials for every player on the team. Because that is who is going to benefit the most....the shoe companies and ESPN.

And then schools like OSU, Michigan, and Alabama will just buy who they want in whatever sport because of football money. Yeah....lets have Indiana booster money go up against Michigan and OSU boosters for mid west recruits.....

Lets come up with a rule designed around less then %1 of college athletes to make sure the schools with the most money dominates all aspects of sports.

Here is a novel idea....you want to make money? Go to Europe, go to the D League, go to Minor league baseball, go to one of hundreds of ways to make money playing sports and let the kids who want to go to college for an education play.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Football and basketball players help make the university hundreds of millions of dollars. They should be able to do commercials, get paid for their likeness on video games, etc. I went to college and was able to have a job and get paid. I know students who were on scholarship and also had jobs that they earned money for. Romeo, Zion, or any other player that a company wants to pay to represent them, should have that ability. This is America, we shouldn’t be limiting the earning potential of people. 

Well again Zion or Romeo had other choices but they chose to go to college.  Put it this way Zion got so much free advertising in his year at Duke that he would not have gotten if he did not go to college.  if he decided to skip college and just work out for the NBA do you think he would been all over TV that year.  I know it is different but my daughter is on full ride at IU which consist of cost of attendance which at IU is $25,000.  since she does not live in a dorm or take the meal play all of that money that went to those things go directly to her.  Before each semester she gets paid over $11,000.  I am sure that these athletes get enough money to pay for their living expenses and to live off of so they are not destitute.  With all of the other perks that come along to these athletes they get compensated around $50,000 a year.  I don't know about you I don't know many college students making that much going to college.

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

The Fair to Play act will completely destroy whatever little level playing field is left in college sports......and Indiana will be on the wrong side.

You think Duke, UK, and North Carolina get recruits now? Just wait until ESPN has shoe commercials for every player on the team. Because that is who is going to benefit the most....the shoe companies and ESPN.

And then schools like OSU, Michigan, and Alabama will just buy who they want in whatever sport because of football money. Yeah....lets have Indiana booster money go up against Michigan and OSU boosters for mid west recruits.....

Lets come up with a rule designed around less then %1 of college athletes to make sure the schools with the most money dominates all aspects of sports.

Here is a novel idea....you want to make money? Go to Europe, go to the D League, go to Minor league baseball, go to one of hundreds of ways to make money playing sports and let the kids who want to go to college for an education play.

Finally some one around here gets it

24 minutes ago, Feathery said:

This is an idea peddled by Jay Bilas and ESPN to push the idea of paying athletes.

Its an easy answer........how much of the IU fan base would't have supported IU last year without Romeo? Let's say he went to UofL, what portion of the IU fan base would have not supported IU? 25%? 15%? 5%? .....or less that %1?

IU fans didn't suddenly support IU because of Romeo. Same with Duke.....the college brands are worth WAY more than some one and done kid. 

Sure, there might be a slight up tick or down tick....but does that have to do with on court performance or a kid that's on campus for 8 months.

Take Virginia....they won the national title....do you think someone on that team would have been paid more than Zion? How about Butler a few years ago....would anyone on that team be making more than someone from Kansas? How about the Cinderellas that happen in the NCAA tourney? Do you think it will be "fair" if some player from a bigger school gets paid more then the entire team of a smaller  school? Is that "fair".....

19 minutes ago, JugRox said:

That is fine, but that scenario still doesn't stop the schools from making money off those that choose to go to college.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

That is fine, but that scenario still doesn't stop the schools from making money off those that choose to go to college.

Most of that money goes to support all the other sports and travel expenses of the lower levels.  With how things are you have to make it fair for every athlete on your campus so when you see how many athletes are in college athletics.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.....and it doesn't stop McDonalds from making money when someone buys a cheeseburger. What to want? Colleges to run in the red?

Well....I got great news for you!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/?utm_term=.da493a1dfe8d

"For the vast majority of the more than 4,000 colleges and universities in America, athletic departments should lose money. Their football and basketball teams don’t appear on national television, apparel companies don’t pay them millions for endorsement deals and they don’t have stadiums and arenas generating millions in ticket revenue."

ESPN has been pushing the idea that these "evil" universities are led by the NCAA to make money off these poor destitute athletes......and that simply isn't the case. 

College sports are a business that support thousands and thousands of student athletes. And ESPN and the shoe companies want a bigger piece of that pie and they don't care if Ball State Cross Country, Butler Swimming, or IUPUI Golf, and etc get destroyed in the process.

Archived