California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act'

tdhoosier

2 minutes ago, coachv said:

let's make it simpler. instead of a dealership (although every basketball player will be driving a brand new escalade), or storage facility, let's say big $ starts a website like tdh, which we all love. now big $ can pay any player however much they want to say," i get all my indiana sports news from the daily hoosier!" great. here's your money. see you on the court! jsut a way to legally get the money in the hands of the player.

I genuinely don't see the issue here. The Assembly Call already uses Cameo to hire former players to record bumps for their podcast. The California legislation would provide legal recourse for current players to take advantage of the same opportunity. The kind of endorsement you've described is exactly what is intended.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Maedhros said:

I genuinely don't see the issue here. The Assembly Call already uses Cameo to hire former players to record bumps for their podcast. The California legislation would provide legal recourse for current players to take advantage of the same opportunity. The kind of endorsement you've described is exactly what is intended.

Key word former player and it is like $25.00

4 minutes ago, coachv said:

because there will be no need to cheat. you will be able to funnel money legally to any player without fear of violating ncaa rules. why cheat?

We have no idea how this would go and what would be allowed and what wouldn't be.  If it is legislated like the Olympic model where it is put back for the athletes once they are done competing then there will still be ways to launder money to players which would still be cheating.

42 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

If a billionaire with a 'b' wanted to throw all his money at a college basketball program, there's already nothing stopping him. I'm sure there's a dollar amount that would pull Chris Beard out of Texas Tech, or Billy Donovan from the NBA. $40 million to renovate Assembly Hall wouldn't be a bother. Of course, Assembly Hall was already renovated for that amount, under the current rules. Your hypothetical scenario is a change in quantity not quality, and like much of the discussion on here has nothing to do with the actual legislation on hand. 

first, it wouldn't be "all" his money. this legislation has zero to do with coach compensation or donations for athletic facilities. my hypotheticals never suggested any such things. those are your words only so don't make arguments pretending i said things i never said. that just doesn't make sense. my scenarios have said you can target and pay recruits and players to either commit, or to stay in school instead of going professional, which has everything to do with the legislation on hand.  

On 9/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, JugRox said:

So, you are saying if Langford played for UofL.....no one would buy an IU jersey?

Or would they just pick a different number?

Or maybe it was Curtis Jones reliving some highlights..... lol

Or maybe Max Beilfeldt or Will Sheehey or Kory Barnett or whoever wears it this year....or the next.....or the next.....or the next....or the next.....

Don't mean to horn into your discussion, but I think he's saying fans of Romeo Langford wouldn't buy an IU jersey if he went to Louisville, they'd buy a Louisville jersey instead.

Probably wouldn't affect the bottom line greatly, but it is a valid point.

3 minutes ago, greg haggard said:

Don't mean to horn into your discussion, but I think he's saying fans of Romeo Langford wouldn't buy an IU jersey if he went to Louisville, they'd buy a Louisville jersey instead.

IU fans would not buy Romeo's UL jersey which is the point that IU fans buys IU merchandise no matter who is on the team.

17 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

without a cap on earnings as a viable business investment need not enter the picture. and assembly call is not hiring these folks in order to get them to commit to play sports at indiana so not the same thing at all

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So the earnings aren't subject taxes? 

Feel free to blow holes in my arguments if they don't hold water.  I won't ask you to leave. 

did i ever say that? don't see what taxes have to do with anything unless you are saying the athletes won't want the endorsement money because they won't want to pay taxes. 

are you a mod? because of the asking me to leave part. at least no one is making disgusting sex act insults like rico did yesterday

14 minutes ago, rico said:

You talk in a lot of absolutes when the fact is that it is just your opinion.

Everyone knows what people say on here is just their personal opinion and not fact.  Just like the other day when you said the players are being exploited which is your opinion and not a fact.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Everyone knows what people say on here is just their personal opinion and not fact.  Just like the other day when you said the players are being exploited which is your opinion and not a fact.

No, that is a fact.  The institutions make millions off these kids.

8 minutes ago, coachv said:

did i ever say that? don't see what taxes have to do with anything unless you are saying the athletes won't want the endorsement money because they won't want to pay taxes. 

are you a mod? because of the asking me to leave part. at least no one is making disgusting sex act insults like rico did yesterday

No.  I said I won't ask you to leave.  Even if I don't like or disagree with what you say.  I won't ask you to leave or not participate, you know, "if you don't enjoy the discussion you certainly are not required to participate or read it."

4 minutes ago, rico said:

No, that is a fact.  The institutions make millions off these kids.

haha because that is you opinion because I don't feel like they are exploited which is my opinion.  Maybe you need to learn what a fact means because what you said is no where near a fact.

Fact: Peyton manning played QB in the NFL

Opinion:  Peyton manning was the best QB to ever play the game.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

haha because that is you opinion because I don't feel like they are exploited which is my opinion.  Maybe you need to learn what a fact means because what you said is no where near a fact.

Fact: Peyton manning played QB in the NFL

Opinion:  Peyton manning was the best QB to ever play the game.

Ricco I see you are confused so I will explain it to you.  I was showing you the difference between a statement of fact compared to what an opinion is.

26 minutes ago, greg haggard said:

horn away. all are welcome

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

No.  I said I won't ask you to leave.  Even if I don't like or disagree with what you say.  I won't ask you to leave or not participate, you know, "if you don't enjoy the discussion you certainly are not required to participate or read it."

i wasn't aware people could ask others to leave  ...but i am new here

Archived