California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act'

tdhoosier

2 hours ago, rico said:

Did somebody mention alcohol?  LOL  But as a guy that traveled around a bunch, our alcohol laws are nothing compared to some states.

But Scott mentioned the polls.  Didn't say players voted.  I bet if you asked the kids that are athletes and enrolled in Indiana, the results would be different.

Utah has the weirdest alcohol laws I’ve seen. Among them is all the liquor stores are (or were 5 years ago) state owned and they close at 5pm. 

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Utah has the weirdest alcohol laws I’ve seen. Among them is all the liquor stores are (or were 5 years ago) state owned and they close at 5pm. 

Doesn't surprise me with that state...Mormons.  Pennsylvania was/is a strange one to me.  If I wanted a 6-pack of beer, a pint of whiskey, and a pack of cigarettes...I had to go to 3 separate stores.  Oh and Wal-Mart didn't sell alcohol there either.  Pitiful.  I could go on about some other states...but I will stay on topic!!!!  LOL

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Haha. I'm not sure if that is something to boast about, nor does it surprise me because Indiana might be the least progressive state in the Union. I mean, we were just allowed the right to purchase alcohol on Sundays, but even now, it still has to be between 12:00 and 4:00 pm. And god forbid we purchase cold alcohol in a grocery store. 

As @rico might say... “And the liquor store lobby says hello.”

15 hours ago, rico said:

Doesn't surprise me with that state...Mormons.  Pennsylvania was/is a strange one to me.  If I wanted a 6-pack of beer, a pint of whiskey, and a pack of cigarettes...I had to go to 3 separate stores.  Oh and Wal-Mart didn't sell alcohol there either.  Pitiful.  I could go on about some other states...but I will stay on topic!!!!  LOL

Still the same in PA as far as the different spots for beer and liquor, it’s really annoying. But, in the last couple years, you can now at least buy beer and wine at grocery stores and gas stations. Making progress. 

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Still the same in PA as far as the different spots for beer and liquor, it’s really annoying. But, in the last couple years, you can now at least buy beer and wine at grocery stores and gas stations. Making progress. 

If true they have come a long way!!!  And annoying is an understatement in my book.  It got to the point I made my boss promise me that if I worked in PA it would be Pittsburgh.  At least I could go into Ohio easily.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

If true they have come a long way!!!  And annoying is an understatement in my book.  It got to the point I made my boss promise me that if I worked in PA it would be Pittsburgh.  At least I could go into Ohio easily.

I guess I don't have to worry about all of that since I don't drink

1 hour ago, rico said:

I live in PA and have a wife that doesn’t drink beer, so have made the multiple stops trip numerous times. But yes, they added beer/wine at grocery stores and gas stations a few years ago. Can now buy beer at Giant, Wegmans, Weis, the big convenient store gas stations, etc. 

Progress!

The California Governor is going to sign the bill, so it will become law in 2023.  It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

I think the NCAA may play a game of chicken with California universities, but ultimately, they won't bar an entire state (especially the most populous in the country) from competing in athletic events.  It seems more likely to me that the NCAA updates its own policies to allow California schools to compete or grants them a waiver of some sort.

41 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

The California Governor is going to sign the bill, so it will become law in 2023.  It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

I think the NCAA may play a game of chicken with California universities, but ultimately, they won't bar an entire state (especially the most populous in the country) from competing in athletic events.  It seems more likely to me that the NCAA updates its own policies to allow California schools to compete or grants them a waiver of some sort.

Other states will follow suit if they cave to California. I’m fact I bet other states follow suit before the NCAA can do anything. 

Mother states won’t sit back while they lose kids to California schools. 

On 9/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, Indykev said:

Just like i said, Cali schools will be booted out.

First, I laugh at the source of the quote. OSU and all the huge schools benefit financially on the fact that money can't go directly to players, right now it indirectly has to go through athletic departments. Supporting the law means losing control of said money. I know many think that big schools are the ones who are going to benefit from this law - I'm just not sure that is the case. 

However, per this ESPN article:

Skinner said, however, that multiple legal experts have assured her that the bill is constitutional. Furthermore, she said the NCAA's assertion that it will ban California schools from future competition would violate federal antitrust laws.

"The NCAA has repeatedly lost antitrust cases in courts throughout the nation," Skinner said. "As a result, threats are their primary weapon."

On 9/30/2019 at 10:09 AM, rogue3542 said:

waiver thing won't happen. other states are implementing similar legislation so their favorite state schools won't be at a recruiting disadvantage. the ruination of college sports has begun

2 minutes ago, coachv said:

waiver thing won't happen. other states are implementing similar legislation so their favorite state schools won't be at a recruiting disadvantage. the ruination of college sports has begun

Yes it has and it will just be another minor league sport

i'll say it one more time....but this time with the help from the AD at OSU.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27743871/ohio-state-ad-gene-smith-fair-pay-play-act

Smith acknowledged that Ohio State, which has an enormous alumni base and abundant resources, would have an "unbelievable competitive advantage" over a lot of other schools from a system like this, but he was still against it.

He equated it to an Ohio State player being able to use an app to reach out to the 550,000-plus OSU alums and be paid for a personalized shout out.

"That's the world we'd be living in," Smith said. "I don't want that. How do we regulate that?"

Or how about this one....

For example, a state senator in New York wants to create a law that would also require schools to directly give their athletes 15% of annual athletic department revenue. 

15% of Football school revenue vs 15% of non-Football school revenue?

Alabama vs Indiana ?

Wisconsin vs Indiana ?

South Carolina vs Indiana ?

The football schools would dominate college sports.....well, at least what would be left.

College football would basically run everything and college basketball would be what girls college basketball is now.

Being an Indiana college basketball fan......this would pretty much destroy IU basketball.

Changes are going to happen whether we like them or not.   Other states will follow suit.   Still there's way too much money on the table for college sports to fail.   The best thing for the ncaa to do is get in front of this and fix the already corrupt system.  

So here are some random thoughts...

Maybe scholarships get reduced at each school.   What if scholarships are taken away altogether if an athlete reaches a certain income level?   What about having a cap on income per team?  Could advertising deals be limited to the off season?   If an athlete wears any School gear during an appearance a % goes to the school?  How about any endorsement deal be with  a legitimate company in business for X many years?

Anybody else have thoughts or ideas??? 

Go Hoosiers!!!

48 minutes ago, JugRox said:

i'll say it one more time....but this time with the help from the AD at OSU.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27743871/ohio-state-ad-gene-smith-fair-pay-play-act

Smith acknowledged that Ohio State, which has an enormous alumni base and abundant resources, would have an "unbelievable competitive advantage" over a lot of other schools from a system like this, but he was still against it.

He equated it to an Ohio State player being able to use an app to reach out to the 550,000-plus OSU alums and be paid for a personalized shout out.

"That's the world we'd be living in," Smith said. "I don't want that. How do we regulate that?"

Or how about this one....

For example, a state senator in New York wants to create a law that would also require schools to directly give their athletes 15% of annual athletic department revenue. 

15% of Football school revenue vs 15% of non-Football school revenue?

Alabama vs Indiana ?

Wisconsin vs Indiana ?

South Carolina vs Indiana ?

The football schools would dominate college sports.....well, at least what would be left.

College football would basically run everything and college basketball would be what girls college basketball is now.

Being an Indiana college basketball fan......this would pretty much destroy IU basketball.

So if OSU is sore about a competitive advantage why don’t they start letting students use their state of the art athletic facilities and give a big portion their athletic revenue to to education departments? Maybe subsidize tuition? I mean, if they’re so concerned about a competitive advantage shouldn’t the athletic department not benefit from that huge alumni base as well?

...and I’m not sure I get your example about the NY senator. Did this happen or is it a hypothetical? Because if it’s a hypothetical, the law as is only deals with NLI and maintains that colleges can not pay for athletes. 

5 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Changes are going to happen whether we like them or not.   Other states will follow suit.   Still there's way too much money on the table for college sports to fail.   The best thing for the ncaa to do is get in front of this and fix the already corrupt system.  

Maybe scholarships get reduced at each school.   What if scholarships are taken away altogether if an athlete reaches a certain income level?   What about having a cap on income per team?  Could advertising deals be limited to the off season?   If an athlete wears any School gear during an appearance a % goes to the school?  How about any endorsement deal be with  a legitimate company in business for X many years?

Go Hoosiers!!!

My proposal would be you either get your scholarship or you take your endorsement money but you don't get both.

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Good point - they have 3 years to work with CA and make changes. The NCAA has been promising change forever and have done absolutely nothing. More than anything this is a law that lights a fire under the NCAA’s arse to finally do something. 

I do hope caps aren’t applied because then we are going to see the same problems arise. And I do like the idea of making sure shell companies aren’t created.

Archived