California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act'

tdhoosier

Just now, rico said:

Knock, knock Scott...the schools make millions off said kids.

And they get paid around $50,000 a year too.  Like I said if these kids want to be paid go play pro ball some where and leave college basketball for the real student athletes. I really don't think fans of college teams really care who is on their team as long as they win. I look at the tournament and they will be sold out even if the top stars are not there so I don't really think the players is what brings in the money.  The fans go to see the name on the front of the jersey and not the players so I don't think the players make the programs the money.  If you take the top 30 players away from the college game I still think the final four would still be sold out and the TV rights will not do down.  The players come and go but the name on the front does not change.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Fans of college sports should also be scared. Because laws like this will change college sports entirely. The current system works for most athletes except for maybe the top 1% in 2 revenue sports.  Let those NBA/NFL prospects go pro and keep college sports intact.  Fans root for the schools and not the players. There are plenty of athletes out there willing to play for the scholarship, perks and exposure.   Let the guys that are in the game only for the money go pro.  A few will make big bucks in the NBA or in Europe and rest will make either nothing or less than the value of their scholarship. 

Amen brother

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

You gotta throw in other sports as well.  Football namely but their are other sports with athletes that are gonna want money if endorsements become legal for them.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

To me there are really less stars in the college football than there are in basketball.  With that thinking there are more than two sports in a college program and we need to think of all of those kids as well.  Also we need to think of all the divisions of college sports and most wont have the money to stay in business.  I just don't see that many players out there that would garner much a all when it comes to getting endorsement money because like I said it would be less than 50 players nationwide.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And they get paid around $50,000 a year too.  Like I said if these kids want to be paid go play pro ball some where and leave college basketball for the real student athletes. I really don't think fans of college teams really care who is on their team as long as they win. I look at the tournament and they will be sold out even if the top stars are not there so I don't really think the players is what brings in the money.  The fans go to see the name on the front of the jersey and not the players so I don't think the players make the programs the money.  If you take the top 30 players away from the college game I still think the final four would still be sold out and the TV rights will not do down.  The players come and go but the name on the front does not change.

$50,000 a year at Duke doesn't equate to what Zion made for the Devils this past season.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me there are really less stars in the college football than there are in basketball.  With that thinking there are more than two sports in a college program and we need to think of all of those kids as well.  Also we need to think of all the divisions of college sports and most wont have the money to stay in business.  I just don't see that many players out there that would garner much a all when it comes to getting endorsement money because like I said it would be less than 50 players nationwide.

Broaden your thinking...the Olympics generate $ for "lessor" sports.  IU had a swimmer that won Gold not that long ago.

35 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Fans of college sports should also be scared. Because laws like this will change college sports entirely. The current system works for most athletes except for maybe the top 1% in 2 revenue sports.  Let those NBA/NFL prospects go pro and keep college sports intact.  Fans root for the schools and not the players. There are plenty of athletes out there willing to play for the scholarship, perks and exposure.   Let the guys that are in the game only for the money go pro.  A few will make big bucks in the NBA or in Europe and rest will make either nothing or less than the value of their scholarship. 

Let athletes that can be one and done now go to the pros.  But no one should be allowed to say I can’t make money because I’m good at something.  I don’t think the colleges should pay these athletes either.  But I should be able to control my opportunities and who wants to give me money.

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

Let athletes that can be one and done now go to the pros.  But no one should be allowed to say I can’t make money because I’m good at something.  I don’t think the colleges should pay these athletes either.  But I should be able to control my opportunities and who wants to give me money.

Well the NBA and NFL has the right to choose you can or can't come into their league.  I never understand why people think that  pro sports can't put qualifications in place to be allowed to enter the league.  Also nobody is saying that they can't make money but they just won't be allowed to play in college.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Take the blinders off.

Have none on and because I don't think these athletes should get more than they already do does not make me wrong or right. You might think I am wrong and that is your right but that does not make you correct as well.  I strongly believe in my viewpoint on this topic and no matter what you say it won't make me change my mind.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Also did I surprise you that I did not come out and give my opinion on this topic.

😂...I knew you would eventually.  That's fine.  You are entitled to feel the way you do and defend your position. I just couldn't resist giving you a hard time because I knew how you felt and knew you'd have to chime in.

Carry on, soldier.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the NBA and NFL has the right to choose you can or can't come into their league.  I never understand why people think that  pro sports can't put qualifications in place to be allowed to enter the league.  Also nobody is saying that they can't make money but they just won't be allowed to play in college.

You are completely missing the gist...the colleges make money off the kids.  They promote them, reap the benefits, and "pay" them peanuts.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

You are completely missing the gist...the colleges make money off the kids.  They promote them, reap the benefits, and "pay" them peanuts.

Again I don't feel the player makes the money because it is the programs name that sells.  These players come and go but the name on the front does not and it has shows that fans will come out no matter who is on your team.  Like I said people keep going to games and the final four even when all of these top players don't get there.  If you take the top players away and I still think you would still see Cameron would still be full if they was still winning games.

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

The law doesn't' propose that they'd be paid directly from a college - just off their likeness. 

Like what IUthruandthru said, they could get paid for autograph sessions, sports camps, endorsements from car dealerships, etc. If a kid chose to go to Northern Iowa he could get $2,500 to sponsor a corn maze. Or if a kid good looking kid with nice teeth chose Eastern Kentucky we could endorse a dentist. The possibilities are endless!

So, do you think there are more promotional opportunities in Chicago, or Bloomington?

53 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So, do you think there are more promotional opportunities in Chicago, or Bloomington?

I think it depends on the sport. For college basketball it’d be Bloomington/Indy. Chicago is a pro sports town. I don’t think many people would know or recognize a northwestern or DePaul basketball player in Chicago - that endorsement wouldn’t be worth much  

the programs with the biggest and most involved fan bases would have an advantage as far as endorsements are concerned, but that hierarchy has already been set. IMO. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think you vastly underestimate the number of athletes that would get endorsements if this goes through.  Don't think just national advertising with Nike, Adidas, etc...  think small hometown joints like say Mother Bears pizza using a couple players for ads.   Or think about a players hometown.   It doesn't matter how big his national star is.  He/she is a star in that hometown and you better believe the local insurance agent would jump at the chance to have the local hero in an ad.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Highly recommend the first 40 minutes of this podcast. 

https://megaphone.link/CBS8522603185

A great point to think about (as brought up in the podcast): ask yourself why the NCAA is fighting this at every corner? Right now the NCAA and it’s member universities, as far as money is concerned, control 100% of the pie. Allowing athletes to collect on their likeness will cause them to lose a piece of that pie. For example a booster who owns a car lot normally donates money to an athletic department to support its athletes. Under the law they can give that money directly to the athletes. Thus, universities will ultimately lose out on donations. For an institution who claims that their primary concern is the well-being of their athletes - well, it’s just a bunch of BS. It’s always about money. 

Edit/add on:

The NCAA operates under the facade of ‘ammeter athletics’, but everything they do screams pro. Massive television contracts, play in pro stadiums (or college stadiums bigger than pro stadiums), pay coaches pro wages (many college coaches have bigger salaries than pro coaches), etc. YET, while in theory amateur status should keep the playing field level, the NCAA has more competitive discrepancies than all the major pro leagues. Even amongst the power 5 conferences. 

The system is severely flawed. NCAA keeps on saying they’ll work on it but they delay, or even worse, don’t have the power to fix it. 

On 9/13/2019 at 6:55 PM, IU Scott said:

That’s not the issue here though.  I have no problem with pro sports saying when they do or don’t want a player.  But I should be able to have control of my likeness and how I can earn money at any time.  If some entity wants to pay me to promote, play, or do something because of my god given talents I should be allowed to get that money.  College, pro, or otherwise.

30 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This will pass very quickly, and spread to every state.  It will spread because if schools want to keep their players in state, they will have to allow it.  Recruiting to California will become very easy

It also passed the senate 73-0. The last time a Governor didn’t pass a bill that unanimously passed in the senate was 1979. Pretty much a done deal. 

Archived