IU vs. OSU game thread

Leathernecks

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did I expect a win no, but this performance was just embarrassing and to me this team has not looked good all year.  take away the E. Illinois game because that game means nothing and the other two have not been very good.  I like Allen and he is great man but I am not sure if he is a HC at this level. Give him another year or so but I just don't think things will change.  I have watched this scenario play out for over 40 years where there is excitement in the off season and then after a few games reality sets in.

Does anyone really know the  extent of Penix injury because w need him badly.  I was listening to Kent Sterling podcast and he mentioned that he was hearing that the injury could be season ending for Penix.  To me if that is true then I would rather see Tuttle start and get experience because would would be playing for the future and Ramsey is not the future.

Agree with every thing you said except going another year with Allen . Senior O line was beaten all day. Offensive hasn't changed. D is worse. Time to move on.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Agree with every thing you said except going another year with Allen . Senior O line was beaten all day. Offensive hasn't changed. D is worse. Time to move on.

Well I am consistent because if I say that Archie or any coach needs at least 4 years then  should not call for Allen's head after two years and 3 games as HC.

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

What coach are we hiring?  Any idea who might want to come to IU?  A lot of folks were happy about the DC and OC changes.  So, we're not giving them any time?  Oh yeah...haven't we been recruiting Florida pretty well?

What is so depressing is thinking that the last time we beat OSU I was 18 and was in my first month of my senior  year in HS.  Now I just turned 49 a week ago and still waiting for another win against OSU.  I have a feeling that I might not see us beat OSU in my life time or ever go to a major bowl.

I did not expect IU to come out and beat a top five ranked OSU; the talent simply is not there.  However,  a well coached team can be outmanned and still not run into the kicker, run into each other on kick returns, or jump offside to give the opponent multiple opportunities to take advantage of their superior skill at every turn.  

The only shot we’d have is if you’d reverse the injury.  If Penix played and Fields didn’t, we may have been competitive.  Then again you’d have to have your specials not put you in the hole too.  When you’re the lesser team in terms of physical talent, you’ve got to play smarter than OSU to have a chance.  We failed in all areas.  You can’t be this fundamentally unsound and beat a top five team.  

Realistically, OSU is recruiting the best, from all over.  Their sideline to sideline speed was jaw dropping. IU could not beat them to the edge at all.  

Ramsey is a good kid and will probably be a future coach.  I like his mobility but he lacks arm strength.  Arm strength isn’t defined by being able to float a ball in the air with distance. Sure, he can throw one up and superficially it looks ok.  But he obviously lacks zip and power with his throws and has almost no accuracy throwing downfield. He’s limited and we’ve seen it time and again.  If he plays, I’d try to get him into space and play it that way.  He was flat out terrible today, indecisive etc.  

Our game plan with receivers was poorly designed today.  This may have helped with Ramsey’s indecisiveness.  They had opportunities to sit down and get some quick hits but they were aimlessly lallygagging around out there while the QB was under duress.  

I am surprised that Coach Allen recruited his own son with the concomitant conflict of interest it brings.  It’s created a huge blind spot for the Coach.  Thomas is a limited kid who could maybe help in short yardage or specials but he’s not really up to that either against conference foes.  I like the Coach as a man and empathize with him when it comes to your children, but we are wasting snaps out there with Thomas.  Similarly, another weak link is Raekwon Jones, who is a senior.  There’s something to be said for being in the right place, but he’s not as physically talented as some of the young guys.  We just get gashed too much in there with Jones and Thomas Allen.  

Miller, McFadden, and Cam Jones should be playing the most at backer.  Coach Allen can justify playing his son and say he’s in charge but it won’t be for long if we don’t start winning some games besides the obvious automatic W’s.  He’s helping his family but hurting his coaching which he’s supposed to have fealty to.  Miller in particular can help plug up the leaky run defense and poor tackling.  He should have a much bigger role.  

This team can’t run the football.  I’d look hard at the coaching there on the offensive line.  They don’t work well as a unit in the run game.   I don’t think it’s just a talent issue.  Maybe they need to look at some other linemen or combinations.  You’d think they’d figure that out in camp.  We have an insane number of prior starts from these linemen.  They are experienced and should be waaaaay better than we’ve seen.  Going forward, we really need to upgrade recruiting on the offensive line.  

Our running backs are just too good to be stymied like this with no holes created by the line.  There’s considerable explosiveness in our highly talented backfield there that needs to be unlocked.  

Devon Matthews struggles badly in coverage.  He’s got big shoulders but is stiff hipped and isn’t agile enough.  Overall, I’m surprised how much the staff will throw our safeties in one on one coverage situations.  They get beat too often.  Maybe deploy extra corners.  

Fitzgerald is getting better and better.  You can see it.  He’s physical, athletic, smart, just a good football player.

Elliott has been a very pleasant find at DT. He’s better than I anticipated.  He was a menace all day long.  I’d make him the player of the game.  

Philyor and Hendershot are studs.  

I am glad Tuttle got some mop up duty.  The raw talent is there but it isn’t helpful to throw him to the wolves.  He doesn’t have any idea what he’s looking at yet and you can see that when he plays.  But in mop up duty he at least gets a feel for game speed.  

7 minutes ago, iu2win said:

I did not expect IU to come out and beat a top five ranked OSU; the talent simply is not there.  However,  a well coached team can be outmanned and still not run into the kicker, run into each other on kick returns, or jump offside to give the opponent multiple opportunities to take advantage of their superior skill at every turn.  

Fair enough...but what do you want to do?  Change coaches?  

The other thing, which we’ve covered in other threads, is that it’s ridiculous that IU has a top five schedule every year.  It’d be nice to have a living, breathing athletic director take some leadership on the absurdity of the divisions.  IU is one of the key partners in the conference.  

Glass, gather the troops, develop some initiatives, hire consultants, get in the GD commissioner’s ear about IU getting hammered in this division and playing the Alabama, Clemson schedule.  This isn’t going to just fix itself.  

We have got an AD who is not being managed by the President or the stale, outdated trustees living in yesterday’s world.  The AD is not about W’s and L’s for football and basketball. 

We need an AD that gets in there, builds a coalition and consensus, and fixes the GD divisions.  This may have to occur after folksy Fred is gone (hopefully soon).  

54 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Maryland lost to Temple and Illinois lost to Eastern Michigan.  Losing to OSU, while ugly, was expected.

It is not the loss but how we lost that is the problem and it was totally embarrassing.  What else was embarrassing is the post game show that I listened to on the radio.  Listening to those guys it sounded like we won the game because they said nothing negative about the team as well.

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The other thing, which we’ve covered in other threads, is that it’s ridiculous that IU has a top five schedule every year.  It’d be nice to have a living, breathing athletic director take some leadership on the absurdity of the divisions.  IU is one of the key partners in the conference.  

Glass, gather the troops, develop some initiatives, hire consultants, get in the GD commissioner’s ear about IU getting hammered in this division and playing the Alabama, Clemson schedule.  This isn’t going to just fix itself.  

We have got an AD who is not being managed by the President or the stale, outdated trustees living in yesterday’s world.  The AD is not about W’s and L’s for football and basketball. 

We need an AD that gets in there, builds a coalition and consensus, and fixes the GD divisions.  This may have to occur after folksy Fred is gone (hopefully soon).  

I don't see anything that Glass could do about the divisions in the conference.  There are 14 teams in the conference so what do you think Glass can do to change it

I think OSU is that much better then us! With Ramsey at QB we are very vanilla offense. Short passes because he doesn’t have the arm strength to go deep. In the third Quarter he had a couple of open deep receivers that he just under threw. Which lead to incompletion. Once OSU knew that they just pinned back they ears and came roaring at the offensive line and took it over. If Penix can’t go we better get Jack ready! 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see anything that Glass could do about the divisions in the conference.  There are 14 teams in the conference so what do you think Glass can do to change it

He needs to bring it to the conference to take action on it.  The conference is essentially a partnership.  You go to your partners. They meet, consider all kinds of things.  Without leadership from Glass everyone else is going to sit quietly and let us take the L’s.  Show them that it makes sense to fix this. This is under his job.  If the league tells him to pound sand you wear them down and bring it up at every meeting and push behind the scenes.  

If say Purdue, Northwestern or Iowa says he has nothing to complain about, you could push them and ask if they’d be willing to swap positions then.  That would be an easy switch to implement.  If the Milwaukee Brewers could swap from the AL to NL, well then Northwestern would be able to switch to with IU in conference very easily.  

If no western team is willing to switch with IU—which undoubtedly would happen (nobody is stupid)—well, then, we have a problem as a conference, don’t we?

You can’t give Glass a free pass on this and just give up.  He’s got the resources and contacts.   It’s his job to figure out how to raise an obvious problem.  We aren’t here to be tackling dummies as a ramp up to get OSU for the heart of their division schedule. 

In the end, it will probably take until the next AD comes.  The success of the football or basketball teams is not of utmost interest to Glass.  He thinks his legacy is on supporting secondary and tertiary sports or taking windfalls in money and working on structures.  He openly admits all that.  When the next AD comes in, hopefully W’s and L’s will be on his radar for the big sports.  

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

What coach are we hiring?  Any idea who might want to come to IU?  A lot of folks were happy about the DC and OC changes.  So, we're not giving them any time?  Oh yeah...haven't we been recruiting Florida pretty well?

Sorry if you can't see this team isnt any better. Recruit all you want but if you can't coach them is doesn't matter. We are cool with the 10th best class in the Big Ten, I get it. It's not Tom Allen's fault, he was thrown in the fire. Some people aren't head coaches but great assistants.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He needs to bring it to the conference to take action on it.  The conference is essentially a partnership.  You go to your partners. They meet, consider all kinds of things.  Without leadership from Glass everyone else is going to sit quietly and let us take the L’s.  Show them that it makes sense to fix this. This is under his job.  If the league tells him to pound sand you wear them down and bring it up at every meeting and push behind the scenes.  

If say Purdue, Northwestern or Iowa says he has nothing to complain about, you could push them and ask if they’d be willing to swap positions then.  That would be an easy switch to implement.  If the Milwaukee Brewers could swap from the AL to NL, well then Northwestern would be able to switch to with IU in conference very easily.  

If no western team is willing to switch with IU—which undoubtedly would happen (nobody is stupid)—well, then, we have a problem as a conference, don’t we?

You can’t give Glass a free pass on this and just give up.  He’s got the resources and contacts.   It’s his job to figure out how to raise an obvious problem.  We aren’t here to be tackling dummies as a ramp up to get OSU for the heart of their division schedule. 

In the end, it will probably take until the next AD comes.  The success of the football or basketball teams is not of utmost interest to Glass.  He thinks his legacy is on supporting secondary and tertiary sports or taking windfalls in money and working on structures.  He openly admits all that.  When the next AD comes in, hopefully W’s and L’s will be on his radar for the big sports.  

To me how they split the conference is the best way to do it and we just need to get better and compete.  Wonder if Maryland and Rutgers fans are complaining about the division like we do because we just sound like a bunch of whiners.  Why would NW agree to switch with us just to help us out a bit and hurt there chances

After letting the emotion of the game go and starting to look ahead and see what other conference teams are doing I think we should be able to compete with most of the other teams.  Besides PSU I think we should be in every other game and even PSU struggled today to beat Pitt at home.  MSU offense is just plain bad but they have a great defense but they won't blow out any teams.  Not saying we will win a lot of games but I think we should be able to compete if Penix is able to come back.  The next 3 games will be the key and we better at least go 2-1 and we should compete to the end with MSU.

Archived